The Student Room Group

How much does relevant work experience actually matter to university's

I am currently looking at applying for cyber security at the uni of Warwick. My grades are D*D*D in a level 3 extended diploma in computing. In my days off so about 20 hours a week, i work in a computer repair company, as a junior technician, the company is small with about 7 employees but we have a good reputation and we run our own antivirus that we sell to clients and we run cyber security for small businesses. i've been working there for about a year. Currently my grades are below a typical offer, the typically offer being D*D*D*, do you think my relevant work experience would allow me to get a lower offer. But in general would unis allow lower grades for tons of work experience?
Original post by Fudge_1253
I am currently looking at applying for cyber security at the uni of Warwick. My grades are D*D*D in a level 3 extended diploma in computing. In my days off so about 20 hours a week, i work in a computer repair company, as a junior technician, the company is small with about 7 employees but we have a good reputation and we run our own antivirus that we sell to clients and we run cyber security for small businesses. i've been working there for about a year. Currently my grades are below a typical offer, the typically offer being D*D*D*, do you think my relevant work experience would allow me to get a lower offer. But in general would unis allow lower grades for tons of work experience?

Having looked at their entry requirements they state that they are looking for BTEC
"We welcome applications from students taking BTECs and/or CTECs and combinations with A levels.
We would require the overall load to be equivalent to 3 A levels and for combinations of qualifications to have no significant subject overlap. STEM related subjects are preferred: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, General Sciences, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics. A typical offer would be DDD* in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma", but each application is considered on an individual basis. Consider how you prepare your personal statement to support your application and utilise our personal statement tools - don't rule it out as a possibility but always worth have a range of different universities with varying grade requirements 🙂 I think the positive language to take away from this is that they say a 'typical offer' rather than 'we only offer' or something along those lines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending