The Student Room Group

So I got a 2.2 which is bad but I got a first class in dissertation

So basically I didn't really give my studies the proper attention as I was always busy with work and getting life experiences. But I should have anyway doesn't matter anymore I got this 2.2. But during the dissertation I really studied becuase the subject had value to me and I wanted to research more into it and I got first in it. The question is how much does it matter, will someone realise that I am actually good at what I like to do or is it kind of hard life from now on?
Reply 1
You really think someone is going to bother reading your full transcript to decyper that you pulled one thing out the bag...?
Original post by kacsgomacs
So basically I didn't really give my studies the proper attention as I was always busy with work and getting life experiences. But I should have anyway doesn't matter anymore I got this 2.2. But during the dissertation I really studied becuase the subject had value to me and I wanted to research more into it and I got first in it. The question is how much does it matter, will someone realise that I am actually good at what I like to do or is it kind of hard life from now on?

It won't matter to much about your grade you got.....
It only put you slightly down the possibility of getting a job over somebody else who have say a 2.1 or better.

Your main thing is that you put in a brilliant interview with any potential job you apply for and you never know you might get offered the job over others.... Your grade is only part of what the employer looking at but it also looks at your application for the job and then any potential interviews you get offered to attend and then it's how well you do on your interview will determine if you get the job.

University isn't easy at times especially if you doing a difficult degree but it's good you got a good result for your dissertation as that would help with your final grade.

I don't think you'll have a harder life because of your grade ok. Your main thing is to prove how good you are with whatever the job you'll land up doing.
Original post by kacsgomacs

Are you asking "how much does it matter?" for postgrad studies, or the workplace? If the former, it might help redeem you a tiny bit if the Masters course is directly linked to your diss topic, but I doubt it would help you secure funding from a research council/employer/uni scholarship. So you'd have to go for the government loan or other modes of self-funding.

If you're asking about the workplace, I doubt they'd notice you'd got one First, or that it would matter that much. That said, you said "I didn't really give my stuides the proper attention as I was always busy with work" - so it sounds like you already have some relevant stuff on your CV, and that you might have a job you're doing already?
Reply 4
Original post by Littleemma98
It won't matter to much about your grade you got.....
It only put you slightly down the possibility of getting a job over somebody else who have say a 2.1 or better.

Your main thing is that you put in a brilliant interview with any potential job you apply for and you never know you might get offered the job over others.... Your grade is only part of what the employer looking at but it also looks at your application for the job and then any potential interviews you get offered to attend and then it's how well you do on your interview will determine if you get the job.

University isn't easy at times especially if you doing a difficult degree but it's good you got a good result for your dissertation as that would help with your final grade.

I don't think you'll have a harder life because of your grade ok. Your main thing is to prove how good you are with whatever the job you'll land up doing.

Really?

I'd have thought many places autofiltered out those without a 1st / 2.i so they wouldn't get to interview.
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

If you're asking about the workplace, I doubt they'd notice you'd got one First, or that it would matter that much.

So jobs asking for a 2.i or better are just kidding on and it's OK to apply with lower grades?

Is it the same if you don't meet the A-Level criteria they state?
Original post by Quady
So jobs asking for a 2.i or better are just kidding on and it's OK to apply with lower grades?

Is it the same if you don't meet the A-Level criteria they state?

I'm a bit confused about your questions. I never said (or implied afaik) that any job asking for a 2.1. or better would take the OP? So I'm not disagreeing with you! :smile: I said "I doubt they'd notice you'd got one First, or that it would matter that much", which was my implicit way of saying "you won't be able to apply to jobs asking for 2.1. minimum". Apologies if I worded it confusingly :colondollar:
@kacsgomacs

What did you study?

Degrees matter, but it's not the only thing that counts when it comes to work.

It's about how you interview, whether they think you make a good fit in their team ( personality, skills etc), if you have additional strengths e.g. fluency in a particular language, etc...

It's good to have a degree but that doesn't guarantee a job. It's about how well you match a person specification for a particular role.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 8
If your dissertation supervisor was one of your referees, it could make a difference as they would be able to talk about the high quality work you produced for that module.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending