The Student Room Group

Including PC build in my Computer Science Personal Statement?

So I haven’t done much to have Computer Science experience, I heard however building a PC can be a good experience in life to have and about computers in general. So I’m currently trying to buy parts.

But I’m wondering if it’s good to include it in my Personal Statement? I already included some books I read that relate to coding and AI. I think it might be useful but I’m worried I may be showing off or if it’s considered small by universities if I mention it.

Sorry for posting this here if it’s wrong, feel free to delete it, it’s 2am so I’m not thinking much.
(edited 5 months ago)
I would definitely do it especially if you are applying for a CS course. The reality is that most universities won't even read your PS anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
Hi @Burdenofacookie

Definitely include it in your personal statement - it shows you have a keen interest in computer science and you can even link it to relevant skills gained from doing it - problem solving, resilience etc.

Don't worry about not having much computer science experience as a lot of universities don't actually have computer science as a required subject but building a PC is more than enough to show your passion, interest and experience.

Personal statements are meant to show you off so put anything and everything that will show who you are as a person and your achievements and be proud of these, don't hide them!

Hope this helps,

Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I would definitely do it especially if you are applying for a CS course. The reality is that most universities won't even read your PS anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

they don't? O_O .. I started worrying about mine too much
Original post by NebunuX
they don't? O_O .. I started worrying about mine too much

Unless you are applying for a competitive course they don't care. It's about the 💸💸💸 for universities these days.
Reply 5
By all means include it, but for the love of god don't use it to link to things like 'resilience', because it's nonsense and an assessor will know this. It's a big jigsaw puzzle and doing a jigsaw puzzle does not build resilience or problem solving to any degree applicable to undergraduate study.

Building a computer doesn't have anything in common with CS as a discipline, much less as evidence as a passion for CS.

It does show you are interested in computers in general and does illustrate some semblance of technical ability. But don't overstate this. Better to talk about stuff which actually builds skills
(edited 4 months ago)
hey

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending