The Student Room Group

A-level French or Further Maths?

I want to do Physics at uni and my other A-level options are Maths, Physics and Geography. While I find Maths easy enough and have been recommended to take it, my French teacher really wants me to do French considering I'm a straight 9s student in it and I quite enjoy it.

I'm unsure how much unis care whether I do Further Maths or not considering I'm applying for Physics. Or will they be more impressed with the variety and skill set French provides?
Reply 1
As someone who is doing Physics at uni and did Further Maths at A Level, do Further Maths. It'll be suffering but I promise you'll thank me later when first year of uni becomes a breeze because you've already covered like 80% of the maths you need to learn for it. Everyone I know who didn't do Further Maths struggled a lot with learning all the new mathematical content on top of the physics stuff, and were even recommended to take different maths modules by the uni to accommodate for their lack of Further Maths.

Oh and unis really don't care about your 4th A Level either way, so don't worry about that.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BlueBazooka
As someone who is doing Physics at uni and did Further Maths at A Level, do Further Maths. It'll be suffering but I promise you'll thank me later when first year of uni becomes a breeze because you've already covered like 80% of the maths you need to learn for it. Everyone I know who didn't do Further Maths struggled a lot with learning all the new mathematical content on top of the physics stuff, and were even recommended to take different maths modules by the uni to accommodate for their lack of Further Maths.

Oh and unis really don't care about your 4th A Level either way, so don't worry about that.

Thank you, that really helps! I'll probably just still to Further Maths then
Reply 3
Original post by elemenohpee
Thank you, that really helps! I'll probably just still to Further Maths then

No prob, happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest