The Student Room Group

Bereavement

Hi.
My father passed away, suddenly, just four weeks before university started (my second year).
I have struggled dreadfully to navigate my way through the past 5 moths (first semester). I am now into my second semester and I find myself struggling with the workload. I am not sure what to do.
Reply 1
You should speak to your university about this, most have a wellbeing team who can help provide you with some support during this time.
You could always defer a year to give yourself a year to grieve, but thats a conversation you should have with someone like your tutor, as they will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

I am truly sorry for your loss, its understandable that workload on top of what you are going through is feeling unmanageable. I really hope you get the support you need and deserve.
Reply 2
Original post by Autumn223
You should speak to your university about this, most have a wellbeing team who can help provide you with some support during this time.
You could always defer a year to give yourself a year to grieve, but thats a conversation you should have with someone like your tutor, as they will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

I am truly sorry for your loss, its understandable that workload on top of what you are going through is feeling unmanageable. I really hope you get the support you need and deserve.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your message. I am interacting with the wellbeing team at my university. I will speak to my tutor about my options and best choices. I am more that halfway through my degree and I need to figure out whether I take time out or keep on. Thank you again
Reply 3
Original post by Rhi03
Thank you so much. I appreciate your message. I am interacting with the wellbeing team at my university. I will speak to my tutor about my options and best choices. I am more that halfway through my degree and I need to figure out whether I take time out or keep on. Thank you again

It really is no problem, Im really glad to hear you are already in contact with the wellbeing team. If you do decide a year out might be best for you, your university should be able to offer you support and reassurance with this.
However I know many people going through difficult situations such as yourself, like something as a distraction rather than just being sat at home.

Id also take full advantage of mitigating circumstances (if you fail anything you will then be able to resit without a capped grade) and extensions, as given your situation you should be eligible for both.

Really wishing you the best.
hey!! im so sorry for your loss. my dad suddenly passed away whilst in first year and going back to uni whilst grieving as well as the work load sent me into a deep hole of depression. i recommend getting in contact with your uni to see what help is available or either deferring for a year, which i did and i think its helped massively as now im around friends and family who understand the situation.
Original post by Rhi03
Hi.
My father passed away, suddenly, just four weeks before university started (my second year).
I have struggled dreadfully to navigate my way through the past 5 moths (first semester). I am now into my second semester and I find myself struggling with the workload. I am not sure what to do.

Hi,

I am really sorry to hear about your father. I can't imagine how difficult the past few months have been.

I would advise you contact your course director to make them aware of the situation as they may be able to get you in contact with the universities wellbeing/mental health team to offer you some support. Most universities have a mental health and wellbeing team and are usually a lovely, welcoming team who offer great support to those in need. This support may help you process what has happened and give you the opportunity to talk about the situation.

It is also important that your course director knows so that they can also support you through your studies.

Again, I truly am sorry to hear about your father and am sending you my best wishes at this difficult time.

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
hey!! im so sorry for your loss. my dad suddenly passed away whilst in first year and going back to uni whilst grieving as well as the work load sent me into a deep hole of depression. i recommend getting in contact with your uni to see what help is available or either deferring for a year, which i did and i think its helped massively as now im around friends and family who understand the situation.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am sorry for your loss, also. Nothing prepares us for the loss of a parent. I have thought of deferring, but I am 52 this year and I think I might not go back, should I defer. I am in the toughest year of the degree, if I can just make it through the coming three months...... I am grieving, and oftentimes just feel incredibly sad. I accept that this is part and parcel of bereavement. Thank you again. Kind regards.
Reply 7
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

I am really sorry to hear about your father. I can't imagine how difficult the past few months have been.

I would advise you contact your course director to make them aware of the situation as they may be able to get you in contact with the universities wellbeing/mental health team to offer you some support. Most universities have a mental health and wellbeing team and are usually a lovely, welcoming team who offer great support to those in need. This support may help you process what has happened and give you the opportunity to talk about the situation.

It is also important that your course director knows so that they can also support you through your studies.

Again, I truly am sorry to hear about your father and am sending you my best wishes at this difficult time.

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Hello Mary, Thank you very much for your kind message. The course director and head of the school of psychology is aware of my predicament and I am liaising with the wellbeing team. I think it is the sheer volume of work load that is overwhelming me in addition to grieving. I was offered the option of deferring, but as a mature student, I think I would find it hard to go back. I am trying to break things into bitesize pieces at the moment and will take extensions should I need to. The university have been amazing in supporting me. It is just that some weeks are harder than others . It is still very early days and I think because my father's death was very traumatic, it has been harder. Thank you again. Kind regards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending