The Student Room Group

Could I take time off work if my cat dies?

Sadly my cat is very ill and I don't think she has long to live. This is a devastating and heartbreaking time for me as I had her for a long time

When the worse happens and my cat does pass away is it appropriate to take time off work?

I think my bosses would be ok? They're both have pets of their own, so I believe they could understand my situation.

I also have good cover at work.

Generally wanted to know if it's ok to take leave from work? If so how long would be appropriate?

What are your'e experience of losing you're pet, any advice would be helpful

thank you
First, very sorry about your cat. You could definitely take a day or two off. I think anything over a week however would be inappopriate.
Reply 2
None of my workplace have had a pet bereavement leave policy. I think it would be down to how you get on with your boss and the corporate culture
Original post by Anonymous
Sadly my cat is very ill and I don't think she has long to live. This is a devastating and heartbreaking time for me as I had her for a long time

When the worse happens and my cat does pass away is it appropriate to take time off work?

I think my bosses would be ok? They're both have pets of their own, so I believe they could understand my situation.

Generally wanted to know if it's ok to take leave from work? If so how long would be appropriate?

thank you

I believe you’d be able to take some holiday days if you have some id probably take a Thursday Friday off to have along weekend but I think more than 2 or 3 days off is probably too much
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

thank you

If you ask for compassionate/bereavement leave, they would probably allow it, but I don’t think it would look particular good for you, as I’ve never heard of anyone taking bereavement leave for an animal. Maybe you can just book some days off from you annual allowance, assuming you have that type of job, rather than a zero hours contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending