The Student Room Group

can you choose who you live with in accommodation?

If you have friends going to the same uni can you request to live in the same accomodation as them?
Reply 1
Hi, this depends on the university - if you're living in the same building you can email the accommodation team to request this, when I started University in 2021 I was able to do this and they put me with people I knew. I'd recommend getting in touch with the university to check. Hope this helps!
Original post by eliask1
If you have friends going to the same uni can you request to live in the same accomodation as them?

Hi there,
This likely depends on the university accommodation and how they approach allocating accommodation. I remember when I applied for my first year you could enter your preferences for different accommodations and include additional requests but these are not guaranteed to happen. However, if you opt to stay in private student accommodation, and therefore know exactly where you're staying, you can often enter additional information as to who you'd like to stay with. You certainly can at Student Roost and our teams will always do their best to make sure this is followed.

-Nicky
Hi there,

Generally university accommodation is randomly selected. This may vary from university to university so it may be helpful to reach out to their accommodation team but I wouldn't get my hopes up on this.

However there are certain commodities you can request. You can usually request a quiet flat, an all gender flat or accessible flat if needed. These you can usually just put on your application but if there is something more specific then reaching out through email or phone might be a good idea too.

Hope this helped,
Sophie
Original post by eliask1

Hi @eliask1

Where have you applied? It depends what university and accommodation you are going to be living in. I currently live in Middle Mill here at Kingston and was able to choose exactly what room I wanted, and I'm pretty sure it's the same for most of the other university halls here, so you and your friends would be able to all decide on a block and flat and book your rooms at the same time.

Hope this helps :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)
Reply 5
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @eliask1

Where have you applied? It depends what university and accommodation you are going to be living in. I currently live in Middle Mill here at Kingston and was able to choose exactly what room I wanted, and I'm pretty sure it's the same for most of the other university halls here, so you and your friends would be able to all decide on a block and flat and book your rooms at the same time.

Hope this helps :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Rep)

Leicester is looking like my firm right now.
Original post by eliask1
Hi @eliask1

This can depend on the university you're looking to study at. The best thing to do is contact the accommodation team at the university and ask 🙂

Mara
UoG rep
Original post by eliask1
Hi there,

It depends on the university, generally speaking most universities do not put friends being in the same flat as the accommodation is usually selected and given at random through the choices which are put down and there are spaces.

You and your friends could stay within the same accommodation/block of flats if you all put the same preferences down but this is still not guaranteed as again it is due to where there is availability.

You could always email the university's accommodation team ask what their policy is and if there is any chance you could stay in a flat with your friends but they most likely will say this is not possible but there is no harm in asking.

Hope this helps 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending