The Student Room Group

Are zero hour contracts worth it?

Obviously im sure most reading this kniw the struggle of getting your first job.

Long story short in summer 2022 after a long hard search through indeed, linkedin i got my first job in a clothing store after finishing my alevels earlier that year. It sucked, barely got that much hours and they would also cancel shifts last minute.

Right now im entering uni around september time this year (after a gap year) and currently am not working. I was wondering if a zero hour contract job or getting multiple ones is worth it for extra side money, as it seems fixed hour jobs are hard af to get without knowing the people, more experience, etc
Original post by MonoAno555
Obviously im sure most reading this kniw the struggle of getting your first job.

Long story short in summer 2022 after a long hard search through indeed, linkedin i got my first job in a clothing store after finishing my alevels earlier that year. It sucked, barely got that much hours and they would also cancel shifts last minute.

Right now im entering uni around september time this year (after a gap year) and currently am not working. I was wondering if a zero hour contract job or getting multiple ones is worth it for extra side money, as it seems fixed hour jobs are hard af to get without knowing the people, more experience, etc

Hi!
I can only speak from my own experience but I am currently on a zero hour contract and I have not struggled to get shifts, obviously this will vary depending on where you work but I first wanted to offer some reassurance.
I would recommend seeing what jobs are available at your university, there are often many positions available and this can be a great way to ensure you get hours that fit around your study.
Additionally, this is something you can ask during an interview or application using phrasing such as 'I am eager to work for this company and I want to ensure I don't end up leaving in the short term due to lack of hours' or 'how often do your employees on zero hour contracts usually work?' set your expectations early on 'I am aiming for a job where I work ___ hours'.
I hope this is helpful, Faye :smile:
Reply 2
What I did was sign up to student careers, and multiple Agencies around where you'll be living. Student Careers have so many work within the University you studying at, so its convenient. For example, I got sent vacancies and one of which was for the University Library. Did the interview and got the Job. After class I just go down to the library for work. This means I get to do my Uni work when its quite in the evening. Mine was not permanent but I like it that way. because I can say no to a shift (covers)If I'm busy with Uni work, exams, or going to see the family back in home town. I also applied for other agencies because it means lots of different jobs are being thrown my way and its the matter of me excepting or not.

Some might get permanent Jobs but I preferred the agencies and student careers. Also Student Careers can give you random Jobs like roll playing for Psychology students. so they give you a script for you to pretend you are a patient so the students can practise on you. Another example is that you could be asked to come in for ultra sounds and other stuff for nurse students to practice on.

Am I making sense?

Apply for couple more agencies so you can have frequent work. But you don't always have to go if you don't feel like working, you can go only if you feel you need that money. That's how I like it. But you can always just apply for a Part Time. permanent work.

When i had a zero hour job, i never struggled to get shifts. Occasionally people were allowed to go home early if it was quiet but other than that i never struggled to get hours. Quite regularly got offered extra.
Obviously it depends on the company.
Id take the job. At least until you find something better. A job is better than no job.

Hi @MonoAno555

I currently work 2 zero hour contract jobs, as an ambassador for my university and department. I like that when university gets busy (which it will!) I can take a step back and focus on my studies. I will say that I don't work a crazy number of shifts, and potentially if I was trying to work many hours I might struggle more as obviously there are a lot of other ambassadors who want shifts, but there's usually always some opportunities available.

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 5
It can work when the money is a bonus and you too want the flexibility to not work when you don’t want too. I did a variety of surreal agency work while job hunting with the advantage as interviews came up I could just take a day off. The agency where able to find me something any day I wanted to work. As to earning a good living and feeling secure, zero hour contracts are of course useless and should probably be cracked down on where they are used to exploit
Reply 6

I can really relate to this, my first job was a zero hour contract job - I loved it but was also pretty annoyed by it. My manager would contact me on the day of offering a shift or as late as 11pm the night before, things would be very last minute and sometimes I wouldn't get shifts for a month. Due to this my salary was very inconsistent and it was difficult to save up, I also had to cancel plans a lot with my friend sand there were many times I couldn't do as I wanted to

.Honestly OP, it is much better to get a fixed job so that you can have more structure to you schedule, you're already at a massive advantage by having already worked at a store. Definitely keep checking out jobs, regularly update and improve your cv, search up common interview questions and write out sample answers - when you do get an interview find out some background on the company like values and stuff and incorporate how you relate to these values in your interview. It is still possible for you to get a really good fixed hour job, especially with your experience!

Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending