The Student Room Group

Best part time jobs for uni students

I'm planning on working part time alongside uni and would like some advice on jobs that are very flexible and easy to manage alongside a degree.
Also I would like any suggests on work from home jobs as it would make it easier for me to manage my degree.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Something I’m doing that isn’t the best pay but is work from home and pretty much entirely flexible as to when and how much work you do is freelance transcribing - basically listening to audio/video files and typing what’s been said. (I recommend the company I work at, Verbit Go, because you don’t need previous experience or anything, just a typing and grammar test and then you’re pretty much good to go as long as you meet their requirements. All the main staff are very friendly too)

Another option is at-home tutoring, which has the same benefits as above and probably slightly better pay depending on who you go with. Again, this is usually freelance.

Only downside to this is work is not always available, so it’s not always the most consistent income. But I’m my experience, finding remote work as a student means you’re pretty much tied to freelance due to needing evenings/weekends etc - this could be transcribing, tutoring, or even customer service or something like that.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for the help :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm planning on working part time alongside uni and would like some advice on jobs that are very flexible and easy to manage alongside a degree.
Also I would like any suggests on work from home jobs as it would make it easier for me to manage my degree.

Hi there,
Have you looked at flexible work that your university offers? You may be able to pick up jobs on campus here and there which should be easy to fit around your studies. You could even pick up seasonal work over holidays if you opted to stay in your uni city. If you'd like to work from home, tutoring might be a good option for a part time job.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi there,
Have you looked at flexible work that your university offers? You may be able to pick up jobs on campus here and there which should be easy to fit around your studies. You could even pick up seasonal work over holidays if you opted to stay in your uni city. If you'd like to work from home, tutoring might be a good option for a part time job.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi there Anon,

This is a great idea from @StudentRoost Rep. Here at Bath, the Students' Union has a jobs page where there are opportunities advertised on-campus and in the city (which is only a 15 minute bus ride away). For example, you could apply to become a student ambassador which is usually a casual role where you can sign up to work on events to fit around your classes and study schedule. You could be doing things like giving campus tours to groups of visiting schoolchildren, being on a a panel for a Q&A session with sixth form students interested in university, or doing online mentoring or blogging/social media work (often universities will have student ambassadors posting here on TSR!). There may also be opportunities to work part-time in your on-campus eateries or cafes, or working with your university's marketing or accommodation Teams during he summer. Jobs on campus could be something to think about if this interests you as they are often more willing to be flexible as they may understand better, being university-based, the demands on you of balancing your work and studies. Your university will probably have a webpage where these are advertised throughout the year :smile:

If you are going home during the summer then perhaps looking into work as a tutor (these are often online), in any local supermarkets if this interests you, or maybe if your local schools have any opportunities for activity leaders or sports coaches. These are often great for your CV in terms of skill-building as well as nice money-earners for the coming academic year.

I hope this helps, and the very best of luck with your future!

Holly
University of Bath

Hey there!
I managed a bartending job at a restaurant perfectly fine. I'd suggest working in a nightclub would probably ruin your sleep schedule so I wouldn't suggest that. They're also known for not paying very well. Retail jobs with contracted hours tend to do well also. The way to manage a job whilst at university is knowing how to say no. Most employers tend to expect a lot from students and it's important not to let them take advantage of you. You can make any job manageable in moderation. If you look on your university's website, they may be advertising campus jobs as well as jobs you can do from home. They also tend to look for people who can work open days which is easy money in my opinion.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 6

Call centre work! In the call centre I work at I often had time to work on assignments and readings etc in between calls when it wasn't busy. Pay's not too bad and I got to choose my hours as I only work evenings.

Hello,

For full flexibility, you may want to consider a job that offers a casual contract. This way you can accept shifts that fit around your schedule. However, the down side is that work may not always be consistent, and there may be times when no shifts are offered. Its really about figuring out how many hours per week you are able to work, then looking for a job that offers the hours that you are looking for.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hi Anon,

This is a great question! There are many options for students to choose from for part-time work.

I would recommend looking into what your university can offer you, as this will likely be the easiest to fit around your studies. Here at Chester, there are many opportunities to work with the university, whether that be as a student ambassador (working on-campus; leading accommodation and campus tours; answering questions from prospective students; creating digital content; working to represent your academic department), in on-campus cafes, cafeterias, and bars, or even as a fitness instructor! Working with your university can be great, as they understand that your studies take priority, and often pay quite well. However, there will also be many other opportunities available to you. For example, employers in your town/city centre will likely be aware of and employ many students, and may be willing to be flexible around your studies. For working from home, I would recommend looking at online tutoring opportunities.

Personally, working as a student ambassador for Chester gives me loads of opportunities to work from home and on campus, and is really flexible around my studies. I find it very easy to manage alongside my studies, as I'm usually just sharing my own experiences and advice as a current student!

I hope this helps!
Isabella

Hi,
I would highly recommend seeing what jobs are available at your university. I work as a student ambassador where I can sign up to work as many shifts as I would like per week. Working for the university means that when exam season comes around if I don't have time to pick up shifts they are very understanding that my degree comes first.
Obviously this will differ from uni to uni so I would also recommend looking at tutoring as this can be done from home, can be flexible and often pays more than minimum wage. Additionally, supermarkets tend to be flexible with their hours so this may be worth looking into.
Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending