The Student Room Group

Student nurse part time jobs

I am curious to know if any mature student nurses have part time jobs that work around study and placement if so what kind of work do you do? Thank you just looking into options
Original post by Louise2300
I am curious to know if any mature student nurses have part time jobs that work around study and placement if so what kind of work do you do? Thank you just looking into options

Our nursing students (including mature students) often work as student ambassadors for the university as they find it really flexible around their studies and placements and haven't got to commit to set hours, which works well if they feel they are particularly busy with university and assignments. Depending on the university and how their ambassador schemes work, the pay is often a good rate too! 🙂
A lot of students get a bank role with their local trust as it's flexible and can pick up hours when you want.. also (with mine) you can choose weekly or monthly pay! It's a long process though so sooner the better to get the ball rolling before you begin the course 🙂

Hey!

I study child nursing. Quite a few of the people on my course have part time jobs while studying. It is important that the part time job is flexible as your placement and studying should always come first. You just have to pick up shifts when you have the time but also ensure that you dont overwork yourself and burn out. It is hard and tiring but it is something you can do if you need to. The best flexible part time jobs to get are working in a pub/restaurant/fast food place or working bank as a healthcare assistant, when able to do so.

Best of luck,
Jess - Digital Student Ambassador ARU
Reply 4
Thank you all for your helpful responses it’s definitely given me something to think about
Reply 5

Mature student nurses (and 18 year old student nurses) absolutely do have part time jobs that work around their degrees including placement!
The best 2 types of work are:

Bank HCA at your local hospital - 0 hour contract - pick up shifts whenever available (but this will be on whichever ward needs HCA cover)

Bar work - also usually 0 hour contracts

hi 3rd year student here

I am nearly graduating in a couple of months, but you can do 0hr contracts if you like but i would say the best option is to get onto nhsp bank as its flexible, you can book shifts hen you want to - thats what i do.
Original post by Student_Nurse
hi 3rd year student here

I am nearly graduating in a couple of months, but you can do 0hr contracts if you like but i would say the best option is to get onto nhsp bank as its flexible, you can book shifts hen you want to - thats what i do.

How many shifts and what shift lengths would you say are sensible? Assume only on uni blocks too?
Reply 8
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
How many shifts and what shift lengths would you say are sensible? Assume only on uni blocks too?

When I was a student, I did anything from 6 to 24 hours' paid work a week (during theory blocks and holidays) depending on workload - anything from a 6 hour "twilight" to a 7.5 hour half day to a 12 hour full day or night shift.
I also made use of the hour's lunch break we had between morning and afternoon sessions in university to do bits of research for assignments (as well as eat!) so that I could also have time to do things like work. Just an idea that may or may not work for others.
Original post by Emily_B

When I was a student, I did anything from 6 to 24 hours' paid work a week (during theory blocks and holidays) depending on workload - anything from a 6 hour "twilight" to a 7.5 hour half day to a 12 hour full day or night shift.
I also made use of the hour's lunch break we had between morning and afternoon sessions in university to do bits of research for assignments (as well as eat!) so that I could also have time to do things like work. Just an idea that may or may not work for others.

That’s helpful thank you. I will need to work - is it monthly or weekly pay on the bank normally?
Reply 10
That’s helpful thank you. I will need to work - is it monthly or weekly pay on the bank normally?

Most places have the option of either monthly or weekly.
Reply 11
On the back of this when is a good time to apply for the NHS bursary have applications opened yet for Sept 24 start?

I’ve picked up a bank position as a health care assistant at my local hospital. I commute to university so i still live and work at home and then travel for my studies. I think a healthcare based role was very beneficial for me as I was able to get more experience working within a hospital and getting paid. The good thing about bank is that you can just pick up shift whenever you want, and in hospitals they pretty much need HCAs all the time
Hey there!

A lot work on the “bank” in the hospitals, some work part-time in retail, some in bars, and some (like myself) work for the university being a student mentor and ambassador

Nat
Third-year student nurse
Original post by miamcniven

I’ve picked up a bank position as a health care assistant at my local hospital. I commute to university so i still live and work at home and then travel for my studies. I think a healthcare based role was very beneficial for me as I was able to get more experience working within a hospital and getting paid. The good thing about bank is that you can just pick up shift whenever you want, and in hospitals they pretty much need HCAs all the time

Do bank shifts tend to me quite easy to pick up to suit your availability? I am older with kids and will definitely need to work so thinking this is the best option for me as it is I’m hoping to a degree, flexible and of course the best experience. So what type of tasks do you perform as a HCSW?

Do bank shifts tend to me quite easy to pick up to suit your availability? I am older with kids and will definitely need to work so thinking this is the best option for me as it is I’m hoping to a degree, flexible and of course the best experience. So what type of tasks do you perform as a HCSW?

There are pretty much always bank jobs available at my hospital and i can imagine it would be the same for every hospital as they always need that extra help!! I can pick up shifts when i’m available and it’s really simple to do. As a HCA i basically do a nurses job just a little less advanced, checking vitals, helping with patient care and supporting nurses when needed. You get all the training prior to starting the position, i’d never worked in a hospital before and had no previous experience as a HCA and they provided plenty of training for me
Original post by miamcniven

There are pretty much always bank jobs available at my hospital and i can imagine it would be the same for every hospital as they always need that extra help!! I can pick up shifts when i’m available and it’s really simple to do. As a HCA i basically do a nurses job just a little less advanced, checking vitals, helping with patient care and supporting nurses when needed. You get all the training prior to starting the position, i’d never worked in a hospital before and had no previous experience as a HCA and they provided plenty of training for me

That is so helpful thank you. Really positive it sounds. Yes this is exactly what I want if I can’t get into some similar role from my present role pre September. Excellent experience too. How many shifts would you say you could get in on a uni week? Did you prefer days/eves/weekends? I know I will needing to be topping up the student money and would rather do it with experience. Thank you for your reply.
Reply 17
That is so helpful thank you. Really positive it sounds. Yes this is exactly what I want if I can’t get into some similar role from my present role pre September. Excellent experience too. How many shifts would you say you could get in on a uni week? Did you prefer days/eves/weekends? I know I will needing to be topping up the student money and would rather do it with experience. Thank you for your reply.

Concentrate on doing weekends day shifts while you are doing university weeks.
When you do your placements weeks then you can pick up a extra day or two depending on how your shifts are scheduled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending