The Student Room Group

Pearson Edexcel AS Stats and Mechanics year / AS

10.6 Pulleys Question 3
Two Particles A and B of masses 5kg and 2kg respectively, are connected by a light inextensible string, which is taut and passes over a smooth fixed pulley. The Particles are released from rest. For ai) The acceleration of the system is 3/7 g m/s and aii) The tension in the string is 20/7 g N. For b) The speed of a when it hits the ground is 10.5 m/s. However for c) it says assuming that B does not hit the pulley, find the greatest height that B reaches above its initial position. The actual answer was 18.75m but I kept getting 13.125 m. Please explain where I went wrong.
Reply 1
Original post by Doraemi123451
10.6 Pulleys Question 3
Two Particles A and B of masses 5kg and 2kg respectively, are connected by a light inextensible string, which is taut and passes over a smooth fixed pulley. The Particles are released from rest. For ai) The acceleration of the system is 3/7 g m/s and aii) The tension in the string is 20/7 g N. For b) The speed of a when it hits the ground is 10.5 m/s. However for c) it says assuming that B does not hit the pulley, find the greatest height that B reaches above its initial position. The actual answer was 18.75m but I kept getting 13.125 m. Please explain where I went wrong.

Youve only calculated the height it reaches while the string is taut (so before A hits the ground). After that the string will be slack and B will continue upwards for about another 5 m under the usual gravitational motion.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest