The Student Room Group

dreading uni

I applied for 5 unis, i got all 5 offers but its unlikely that i'll get the grades for most. I'm literally getting Ds/Cs but my predicted are all Bs. This doesn't motivate me and not only this but i feel like i would just hate uni.

I've looked at apprenticeships but they don't sound appealing to me or what i'm currently looking for. I know i should go to uni and that its the best option for me but i feel like i won't get the grades and thats not me being hard on myself. I tried so hard for my mocks and started revising in September but i came out with Ds, idk whats going on. I've always been bad at exams but even with doing timed past papers, im just not getting better. Exams just arent for me but they should be bc they are for everyone else.
Theres no way im going to take a gap year because thats a waste of a year and i wouldn't want to go back to university at the end of it. So that option is out.
All my friends look forward to what uni life has to offer but i can't see myself enjoying it unless i'm on my final year or smt.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I applied for 5 unis, i got all 5 offers but its unlikely that i'll get the grades for most. I'm literally getting Ds/Cs but my predicted are all Bs. This doesn't motivate me and not only this but i feel like i would just hate uni.

I've looked at apprenticeships but they don't sound appealing to me or what i'm currently looking for. I know i should go to uni and that its the best option for me but i feel like i won't get the grades and thats not me being hard on myself. I tried so hard for my mocks and started revising in September but i came out with Ds, idk whats going on. I've always been bad at exams but even with doing timed past papers, im just not getting better. Exams just arent for me but they should be bc they are for everyone else.
Theres no way im going to take a gap year because thats a waste of a year and i wouldn't want to go back to university at the end of it. So that option is out.
All my friends look forward to what uni life has to offer but i can't see myself enjoying it unless i'm on my final year or smt.

heyy what course did you apply for? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emm4nuella
heyy what course did you apply for? :smile:

computer science and business management.
computer science and business management.

have you started revising for a levels in general? :biggrin:

Anon,

Congrats on your five offers! Is there anywhere that appeals most?

Why do you feel like you would hate uni?

It's not easy when you are not getting the results that you want and people are motivated in different ways. Sometimes if a person has been predicted really low grades then they feel like they need to prove their teachers wrong and that fuels them to succeed. Sometimes though if you have been predicted high grades you can feel overwhelmed like 'how do I get them?'.

Do you panic in exams? Do you need to take more time reading the questions? Do you need to start with the part of the paper that will take the longest and get that done first? You might need a strategy for exams e.g. a good breakfast beforehand, setting time limits for each question and making time to read over the paper at the end. Exams are not for everyone. Some people love the adrenaline of an exam and others struggle with the time pressure, but it's about finding a way to manage those nerves and to get your best work done on paper. Exams do not always show everything that we know, so remember that exam papers can never fully do justice to knowledge, but it is important to know how to pass them well. You could be an exam away from a great grade!

Don't lost heart.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

Congratulations on getting all 5 offers firstly!

In terms of worrying about what grades you will get, my best advice for this is if you revise as much as you can and try your best, you have done all that you can do. If you haven't started revising yet I would start now and there is still plenty of time to revise so you can do your best! If it comes to results day and you haven't got the results you were hoping for, you can always apply through clearing for another uni if you decide that you really want to go to uni.

If you haven't already, I would look at degree apprenticeships. I'm not sure if this is the type of apprenticeship you have looked into but these are good as it allows you to still go to uni but also work and get paid. This may be something you are interested in!

As for enjoying uni, everybody has a different experience, but in general it is a really great thing to do! You have a lot of independance and freedom to do what you want to do which isn't for everyone but I have really enjoyed it. If you haven't already, I would look into attending some applicant open days as you might meet some people here who are going to be on your course and this may help you decide whether it is for you! You can also ask lots of questions and it may help you out.

I hope some of this helps and good luck with your exams!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Why not try degree apprenticeships? It’s mostly going to uni 1 week and going to work for 3 weeks. You also get paid for working and don’t have to pay anything back, which makes it better from the normal route.
I would look at apprenticeships or the trades to be honest. You can go to uni at any age so don't worry
Original post by madelyn eve
I would look at apprenticeships or the trades to be honest. You can go to uni at any age so don't worry

This! If you don’t think you’ll like it don’t rush into it just because everyone else is. I did that and dropped out, explore your other options.

Hi there,

Firstly congratulations on getting 5 offers! That's really amazing you should be so proud of that achievement. I know personally I found that I didn't do as well in my mocks for a levels because the content hadnt all fully clicked in my brain yet, I found it easier to revise for the mocks later in the year when I had covered more and had figured out more of a study style.

Exams can be really difficult and a levels are no easy task. I think it would be best to just do your best in your a levels and see what you come out with, then there is always the option of clearing, or applying for jobs from there.

I really hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Hey! I was the exact same. I spent all 2 years of sixthform revising and burnt myself out by exam time alongside having a family problem during exam season. I came out with DDD which i thought ruined my chances of becoming a student nurse. I took a gap year and did a higher to access to education diploma which is the equivalent of 3 A levels. Have a look on UCAS and see if any of your unis/courses accept access courses because this is always a second option!! I thought i’d never become a student nurse but i’ve just been accepted into my first choice uni for adult nursing after being so defeated during A levels. There is always another chance at everything, don’t let A levels get you down !!

Hiya,

I think it’s sounds like you’re being a bit too hard on yourself here. You said “exams aren’t for you but they should be because they are for everyone else”. This is simply not true at all. We all have different learning styles and where some thrive others might not. I am rubbish in exams, I feel the pressure gets too much and I never do as well as I’d like. However, I do much better in written essays etc. I think you’ll probably find that you’re the same.

University won’t be all exams, yes there will be some but there will be a range of different assignments that you’ll have to do over the course (posters, presentations, essays, reports). You will probably find that you thrive in some of these and like you said, exams just aren’t your strongest point (there is absolutely nothing wrong with that). The point is, if and when you go to uni it doesn’t mean you won’t do well.

If you don’t get the grades needed for the course you want to study, I personally wouldn’t recommend just going with any course. University is tough (although great) and if you’re studying a course that you don’t have an interest in then it will make it even harder.

I understand why you wouldn’t want a gap year but this can be a great option. Life experience of working is really helpful when starting university. Plus there is no set rules as to when we should go to university. I am a mature student and didn’t start uni until I was 29. Everyone’s journey is different and that’s okay.

As a mature student I went down the access course route. This is something that I would recommend you look into, if you don’t get the grades needed for your required course. It then won’t be a gap year as you’ll still be studying but you will become fully prepared for university. Access courses are intense courses, tailored to the uni course you’re interested in. Universities love students that come from access course, as they fully prepare you for uni life.

Like I said everyone’s journey is different and I know it might seem disappointing but if uni isn’t for you right now, then don’t be too hard on yourself. I know a lot of people that didn’t get the grades they wanted, spent a few years working then done an access course and went to uni. There’s no age limit, uni is filled with people for all different ages.

It sounds like you’re doing the right thing by looking at apprenticeships and figuring out what is best for you. It is a big a stressful decision but try not to be so hard on yourself.

I would also like to say, whatever you do now does not define what you have to do for the rest of your life. I often feel like there’s so much pressure put on young people picking their subjects to decide what they want to do for the rest of their lives. As somebody who has had 2 past careers and now moving onto their third, I’ve found that what’s right for you now might change in 10 years time anyway. So do what you think is right for you and what you think you’ll enjoy and if you want to change your career in the future, you absolutely can! I’ve had this mindset since school age and honestly, it really takes the pressure off the big decisions. Even now, I’m in my third year and looking forward to my new career but also know that I might change again in the future if I don’t feel the job works for me anymore.

Good luck, I hope this helps some 🙂

Sophie (ARU)

Hi,

I did not do well at A-levels. However, I did get accepted to university through UCAS clearing. It is still possible to get to a good university with Ds and Cs. There is always the option to do a foundation year as part of your degree. Courses with a foundation year tend to accept students with lower grades. I believe exams are not for a lot of people. The stress makes us perform worse. This is coupled with the fact that we are never told how to study for tests.

Do you have a subject that you are passionate about and would like to study at university?

Hristiana (Kingston rep)
1st year Mental Health Nursing BSc

Hi there!

Firstly, congratulations on your five offers, that's a great achievement!

Personally, I've always found exams hard and it's something that I still struggle with in my 4th year! I've found study styles that work for me and sometimes it just takes longer to click!

When it comes to university, have you had a look at degree apprenticeships as these tend to be more hands on whilst still helping you gain a degree! It also depends on what you are wanting to study at university, it may be worth getting in touch with the universities you're holding offers with and seeing how they exam the course content. Some courses will be more coursework based than others!

I hope this helps and If you would like to show your support, please consider leaving us your vote for Best Official Rep here: TSRCommunity Awards 2023: Best Official Rep Award - VOTING NOW OPEN - The Student Room

-Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending