The Student Room Group

can i transfer to another uni in september

ok so i got AAC, and i got an offer for law at royal holloway but i reallyyyyy don't wanna go like actually don't want to. i know it's unrealistic but any chance i could call up unis to ask if i could transfer if anyone drops out at the start of the year? i would really want to go to queen mary i know i know spaces are gone but what if people drop out in the first term? do i have a chance? i know i should have done clearing yesterday but i wasn't sure on where i wanted to go. does anyone else just have some general advice on what i can do in this situation x
Original post by hpphphpphpphphp
ok so i got AAC, and i got an offer for law at royal holloway but i reallyyyyy don't wanna go like actually don't want to. i know it's unrealistic but any chance i could call up unis to ask if i could transfer if anyone drops out at the start of the year? i would really want to go to queen mary i know i know spaces are gone but what if people drop out in the first term? do i have a chance? i know i should have done clearing yesterday but i wasn't sure on where i wanted to go. does anyone else just have some general advice on what i can do in this situation x

No, that's not how transfers work. They will aim to fill slots through clearing and chances of someone not attending between now and the start of the academic year are slim and the numbers are small enough they won't need to fill the course still.
Original post by artful_lounger
No, that's not how transfers work. They will aim to fill slots through clearing and chances of someone not attending between now and the start of the academic year are slim and the numbers are small enough they won't need to fill the course still.

oh alright thanks, any tips on what i can do? reckon i should call some unis tomorrow?
Reply 3
oh alright thanks, any tips on what i can do? reckon i should call some unis tomorrow?

Yes call unis until you find one you like better than Royal Holloway.

Or take a year out, resit the C and have loads of choices again of where to apply.
Reply 4
ok so i got AAC, and i got an offer for law at royal holloway but i reallyyyyy don't wanna go like actually don't want to. i know it's unrealistic but any chance i could call up unis to ask if i could transfer if anyone drops out at the start of the year? i would really want to go to queen mary i know i know spaces are gone but what if people drop out in the first term? do i have a chance? i know i should have done clearing yesterday but i wasn't sure on where i wanted to go. does anyone else just have some general advice on what i can do in this

Hey, I'm sorry to say i think this is unrealistic idk how transfers work but the chance of a drop out by then is low as is for all unis over 3 years. I would say to just look in clearing for another uni you would like to go to more than RH. But out of interest what is wrong with RH for you?
Reply 5

Hey, why don't you want to go to royal holoway, just interested?
Uk unis have very low drop out rates so I think your chances are low unfortunatly, I would say the best thing to do is to find another uni in clearing you would be happy at so best case you can transfer from there to QM but at least it won't be RH if you really dislike it.
(Original post by harrysbar)Yes call unis until you find one you like better than Royal Holloway.

Or take a year out, resit the C and have loads of choices again of where to apply.

unfortunately i can't resit as it is history and it's extremely hard to do alone plus i definitely cannot afford to resit at all
Original post by Dixie_5
Hey, I'm sorry to say i think this is unrealistic idk how transfers work but the chance of a drop out by then is low as is for all unis over 3 years. I would say to just look in clearing for another uni you would like to go to more than RH. But out of interest what is wrong with RH for you?

its okay haha thanks for replying, honestly i rlly dont know i'm just dreading it so bad not excited at all and it is extremely isolated from my family and friends
Reply 8
(Original post by harrysbar)Yes call unis until you find one you like better than Royal Holloway.

unfortunately i can't resit as it is history and it's extremely hard to do alone plus i definitely cannot afford to resit at all

ok scratch that then. Just keep calling unis until you find one with vacancies you actually like.
Original post by Dixie_5
Hey, why don't you want to go to royal holoway, just interested?
Uk unis have very low drop out rates so I think your chances are low unfortunatly, I would say the best thing to do is to find another uni in clearing you would be happy at so best case you can transfer from there to QM but at least it won't be RH if you really dislike it.

it was just never supposed to be a choice i was forced to pick it as things didn't work out with the other unis i had in mind, i really am dreading september because of it. oh i see, any uni recommendations that are good i've ran out of options - also do u think i could transfer to qm??
Original post by harrysbar
ok scratch that then. Just keep calling unis until you find one with vacancies you actually like.

any uni recommendations? : )
any uni recommendations? : )

What part of the country would you like to be in or close to?
Original post by harrysbar
What part of the country would you like to be in or close to?

anywhere in london

I agree with @harrysbar (as always :biggrin:) just ring around unis in clearing and see what is available. If you prefer something more central in London, SOAS might be worth looking to see if they have law available still?

You can always take a gap year without resitting if you aren't able to do so, although your range of options may be somewhat narrower that way.
Reply 14
it was just never supposed to be a choice i was forced to pick it as things didn't work out with the other unis i had in mind, i really am dreading september because of it. oh i see, any uni recommendations that are good i've ran out of options - also do u think i could transfer to qm??

I don't think a transfer is likely sadly but there are other good unis out there in law clearing, City of London wants 128 UCAS points from clearing, Lincoln is in clearing as well and is good for law, southbank is also availible. I don't know much about them but they are asking UCAS points in your range.
Reply 15
(Original post by hpphphpphpphphp)its okay haha thanks for replying, honestly i rlly dont know i'm just dreading it so bad not excited at all and it is extremely isolated from my family and friends

But hey you will meet new friends, it is time for that kind of thing, and family and friends are only a phone call away and you can visit on weekends depending on how far away and if yoy can say use a train.
Original post by artful_lounger
I agree with @harrysbar (as always :biggrin:) just ring around unis in clearing and see what is available. If you prefer something more central in London, SOAS might be worth looking to see if they have law available still?

You can always take a gap year without resitting if you aren't able to do so, although your range of options may be somewhat narrower that way.

thankss ill try calling tmrw, i would like a gap year but i'm not sure it would do anything
Original post by Dixie_5
(Original post by hpphphpphpphphp)its okay haha thanks for replying, honestly i rlly dont know i'm just dreading it so bad not excited at all and it is extremely isolated from my family and friends

But hey you will meet new friends, it is time for that kind of thing, and family and friends are only a phone call away and you can visit on weekends depending on how far away and if yoy can say use a train.

yep definitely i know that but idk it's just not ideal when it was never meant to be an option for me it was just a filler space when i was applying. i would rather a uni where i would be excited to go than dreading it already ygm
City 128 points which you have
Goldsmiths ABB (you may be ok with AAC)
Could try SOAS who normally want AAA/AAB but they are in Clearing so likely a bit flexible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending