The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

MSc Economics at UoM

Hi all, I'm an Economics student at UoM. If anyone has any questions about uni life or studying Economics at Manchester let me know :smile:
How is it? How quantitative is the course? How many international students are on the course? How are you finding the content? What are the lecturers like? What is the help like from the careers team? Do you enjoy it and recommend it?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Anonymous #1
How is it? How quantitative is the course? How many international students are on the course? How are you finding the content? What are the lecturers like? What is the help like from the careers team? Do you enjoy it and recommend it?

I can weigh in on most of this.

It is super quantitative, like very, very heavily quantitative in all core areas. Some students take optionals which are essay-based to water this down a bit - you have 20 free choice credits per year which need to be signed off by the PDs (usually are without issue) so get a little freedom.

If you want a less quant option, you're better going for the BAEcon programme.

In third year you have no compulsory units but have to take at least 20 credits of the following:

Advanced Microeconomics
Advanced Macroeconomics
Mathematical Economics II
Microeconometrics
Financial Economics
Mathematical Finance
Advanced Econometrics

You then can take 20 credits free choice, and the remaining credits come from Econ and BMAN (Alliance Business School - finance etc) units.

International students in the past 3 years have just about made up the majority of the cohort.

The content is very challenging but it's possible to do well - staff support is generally good but as with anywhere, some are better than others.

Careers involvement with the department itself isn't as good as it could be, and this is something we are trying to change. But the careers team in general is excellent, and there are plenty of opportunities for guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending