The Student Room Group

Can I be a Vet with youth cautions

everyone

It’s my first time posting. So, I’ve wanted to be a vet surgeon for a long time now. I’ve got work experience in pet shops, dog groomer , farm, horse stable, cattery, kennel, zoo, abbatoire, plenty of rescues. I’ve got between 14-19 GCSE’ four level three qualifications (three of which meet the grade and entry requirements for vet med or vet science).

However, I revived three cautions between the ages of 11-16 two common assault cautions and one ABH caution. The common assault ones are protected so filtered for kicking and the ABH one was because I threw a chair behind me that caused injury to someone but as I didn’t know that person was behind me it was classed as ‘unintentional’ hence the caution and no arrest or conviction. I have read that since it’s a protected caution if you were a teen and not convicted of it. However, as we all know sometimes things can accidentally show up even when protected or filtered. Would these youth cushions from almost 15 years ago and over (I’m almost 30 now) stop me from being a vet surgeon?

Please be honest with me. Ps; for mitigating circumstances I was in foster care and had undiagnosed Aspergers Syndrome at the time so was given medication meant for schizophrenia and psychosis (neither of which I have) Ofc that all changed once I got a diagnosis of Aspergers.

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Original post by Koalasandme
everyone

It’s my first time posting. So, I’ve wanted to be a vet surgeon for a long time now. I’ve got work experience in pet shops, dog groomer , farm, horse stable, cattery, kennel, zoo, abbatoire, plenty of rescues. I’ve got between 14-19 GCSE’ four level three qualifications (three of which meet the grade and entry requirements for vet med or vet science).

However, I revived three cautions between the ages of 11-16 two common assault cautions and one ABH caution. The common assault ones are protected so filtered for kicking and the ABH one was because I threw a chair behind me that caused injury to someone but as I didn’t know that person was behind me it was classed as ‘unintentional’ hence the caution and no arrest or conviction. I have read that since it’s a protected caution if you were a teen and not convicted of it. However, as we all know sometimes things can accidentally show up even when protected or filtered. Would these youth cushions from almost 15 years ago and over (I’m almost 30 now) stop me from being a vet surgeon?

Please be honest with me. Ps; for mitigating circumstances I was in foster care and had undiagnosed Aspergers Syndrome at the time so was given medication meant for schizophrenia and psychosis (neither of which I have) Ofc that all changed once I got a diagnosis of Aspergers.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

They will take into consideration how long ago your cautions were and will assess whether you are a risk to the public and your profession. You won't be precluded due to your official diagnosis unless it prevents you from doing your line of profession adequately. From my judgement, you should be good under the prerequisite that these are your only offences committed 15 years ago.
Reply 2
Hello

Thank you for your reply. I definitely believe so as the offences are quite old. They were all cautions where I wasn’t arrested, charged or convicted and two are protected and I believe the third may be protected as I was a teen and I was cautioned for it and not convicted due to a change in the law I may be wrong about that one though. I think they’ll take my mitigating circumstance’s into consideration ie me having been in foster care and children’s homes when it happened ie chaotic upbringing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending