The Student Room Group

Thesis taken out of uni degree halfway through

I’m in my second year of my course and it has been announced that due to moving onto a new learning plan for our year which wasn’t announced to us when we began, that we will no longer have a thesis in our final year. Does anyone know if this means I’ll still get a BA(Hons) as that is what I’ve applied for and am I able to sue the university for misinformation and changing my degree? They have done this on multiple areas throughout my time on the course and now may not be able to take the masters I wanted because of this change.
Reply 1
Original post by naomieve
I’m in my second year of my course and it has been announced that due to moving onto a new learning plan for our year which wasn’t announced to us when we began, that we will no longer have a thesis in our final year. Does anyone know if this means I’ll still get a BA(Hons) as that is what I’ve applied for and am I able to sue the university for misinformation and changing my degree? They have done this on multiple areas throughout my time on the course and now may not be able to take the masters I wanted because of this change.

You don't necessarily have a dissertation (not a thesis -- that's for PhD candidates) for a bachelor's degree; I've seen programmes where a dissertation is optional rather than compulsory, and for some more practical courses there's a final-year project where the deliverable is something other than a dissertation.

Have you discussed the changes made to your programme with your Student Union? Some changes to a degree programme might be unavoidable -- for example, where a lecturer leaves it might not be possible for someone to take over the modules that they taught -- and your student agreement with the university is likely to cover that sort of scenario. But there would presumably come a point where there were so many changes (or a few very significant changes) that what is delivered varies so much from what was expected that it becomes a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending