The Student Room Group

Masters, what to do if failed?

i have failed my master's, and will so far be graduating with a PG instead, I'm already more than half way through the course, and i have thought about dropping out, i dont think i will as i really have learnt so much which im really happy with (despite failing), but i really do not want to continue with the core modules, i just want to focus on my research/thesis instead, i know the PG will leave a mark on my CV as well, i dont know if there is anyway i could just scrap the whole masters and switch/leave with a research project instead? i've also had lots of health issues due to stress and lack of support since ive started this degree...
Can you say a bit more about how you’ve failed your masters?

If you’ve not done the dissertation, which makes a large chunk of your masters, then you’ve still got a lot to play for.

Generally, without the core modules they wouldn’t let you get any qualification. A pgcert and pgdip are essentially masters courses minus the dissertation, and as far as I’m aware, there’s no qual or certificate for the dissertation itself, so to your question I would say the answer would be no?

What is it about your core modules or course you don’t like? Is it the topic or teaching or something. Else? Is the stress related to these or something else in your life?

Having a pgdip or pgcert won’t be a bad mark on your CV. No one has ever really asked about my msc in interviews or for jobs, and pretty much will guess it’s the same in this case. Only ever spoke about my project/dissertation when it’s been relevant or come up.

I’d suggest talking it through with your supervisor and student services too. They can help you think through your options too, especially if you haven’t had the support you want or need.
Reply 2
Hi, sorry I didn’t put too much context as there’s a lot to this situation, I really do appreciate your reply.

I have gotten bellow the pass mark in everything, I also failed my retake by a few marks, I know if it’s below a pass it’s a fail, it was just so unfortunate, over 3% I failed my MSc

And yes I spoke to my thesis supervisor the other day who said the same thing, there’s no such qualification to just do the research project…

To be honest I like the content, it’s just the intensity of the exams were very very stressful, I don’t want it to sound like I’m trying to look for the easy way out, but my exams were 3-4 hours long (per exam) they were so intense in such a short duration to revise, I also developed seizures in my sleep (stress induced) it has been so bad on me, I also went into my course with a lack of knowledge, a lot of my peers knew the topic and did it in undergrad, my undergrad was more clinical and general overview of many different fields, whereas the RG I’m in right now, is research focused, I have failed everything (my re take and my other exams on the first go) as I was lacking the basics of this course to begin with

I’m scared it will leave a mark on my CV because an MSc is sort of required for a research based job, in a clinical setting, maybe not so much, I wanted to do my MSc for an extra qualification to move up in a clinical setting, but now I want to be in research but I’ve failed so I feel so demotivated with everything

The uni is quite bad in my opinion as well they don’t provide support for those students who may need extra help, overall it’s been very bad my health has declined so much because of this stress, I’ve constantly lost my spark it’s so sad and so upsetting but I’m still so grateful I have learnt so much…

Original post by souljav
Can you say a bit more about how you’ve failed your masters?

If you’ve not done the dissertation, which makes a large chunk of your masters, then you’ve still got a lot to play for.

Generally, without the core modules they wouldn’t let you get any qualification. A pgcert and pgdip are essentially masters courses minus the dissertation, and as far as I’m aware, there’s no qual or certificate for the dissertation itself, so to your question I would say the answer would be no?

What is it about your core modules or course you don’t like? Is it the topic or teaching or something. Else? Is the stress related to these or something else in your life?

Having a pgdip or pgcert won’t be a bad mark on your CV. No one has ever really asked about my msc in interviews or for jobs, and pretty much will guess it’s the same in this case. Only ever spoke about my project/dissertation when it’s been relevant or come up.

I’d suggest talking it through with your supervisor and student services too. They can help you think through your options too, especially if you haven’t had the support you want or need.
Thanks for the extra info, it’s helpful to know.

So the option are then to either complete the course and do what you can and at least have something or leave now and potentially try again in the future, using what you’ve learnt so far.

Thinking through both…

Accepting What’s done is done and you can’t change the past results now. Having a pgcert or dip is still something, and shows you’ve at least some of that additional learning from a postgrad on the topic. Maybe a personal or individual challenge too for yourself and your own resilience to show you can do it by seeing through. Again, the dissertation does carry a lot of weight, and tbh is the thing that you’ll most likely talk about anyway (if ever) in the future. It’ll be something to look back on and say, I did it. I know people with PhD who don’t even look back at their theses, because they’ll just find all the flaws and things they could’ve done different. Also, you’ve paid for it, and don’t think you’ll get your money back if you finish short.

Saying that, there is also no shame in leaving now and potentially trying again another time. You’ve got the experience now, and know what to expect if you try for another msc in the future and know what you need to do to prepare. Maybe you need to change field or speciality, do a different course or go somewhere else. the question will probably come up about why you left this one, and there is absolutely no problem in being honest about your reasons why, it’s happens to more people than most of us think. There’s also the practical financial question of doing another msc too. The break might also help decide if it’s something you really really want too.

Btw, you could always do both. Finish the course you’re on, try again or another in future. How it’s fit with your interests, career and the financial aspects are the things to think about.

For your career wise, you now have a better idea of what you want and need to do. It would be useful to think how to incorporate more research or look for ways to build your research experience within your career or potentially look for adjacent opportunities (I.e in a similar field,) to maybe fill that desire and motivation in you.

I’m assuming it’s psychology related field
because I’ve heard similar stories about how some unis focus more on research than others in UG. You can definitely find research roles to apply the experience you have, or to build the research experience you need/want, so don’t despair that this is the be all and end all, because it’s not. (Doesn’t feel that way now, but honestly it’s true). Sometimes getting back into the day job can help us refocus our minds on things like if more academic study is what you need or truly want, or how to get where you want t to go.

It’s probably most useful for yourself to pause, take a break, step away and breathe and properly organise your thoughts and then make a decision. Sit down and think about what you want and need career wise etc and how to achieve these. write things down if needed. Get the stress and anxiety out, because we can get caught up in this cycle and think there’s no way out and just get stuck in our own heads for too long, and things just get worse, like burnout or depression. Sounds to me this would be useful, and might help bring that spark back into your life.
Original post by qdeclm
i have failed my master's, and will so far be graduating with a PG instead, I'm already more than half way through the course, and i have thought about dropping out, i dont think i will as i really have learnt so much which im really happy with (despite failing), but i really do not want to continue with the core modules, i just want to focus on my research/thesis instead, i know the PG will leave a mark on my CV as well, i dont know if there is anyway i could just scrap the whole masters and switch/leave with a research project instead? i've also had lots of health issues due to stress and lack of support since ive started this degree...

Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your master's degree. It's understandable to feel overwhelmed and stressed, especially when balancing coursework, research, and personal health issues. Please understand that you are not alone in this, and it matters most that you prioritise your well-being and make decisions that seem right for you.

If you don't want to continue with the core modules and instead want to focus on your research and thesis, I recommend speaking with your academic advisor or the programme director. They may be able to provide you with alternate paths to complete your degree that are more in line with your aims and interests. It's important to remember that institutions can be adaptable and may be prepared to make changes to assist you in succeeding.

I know from personal experience that universities can be flexible and willing to make adjustments to better help students. For example, I was able to switch to a part-time course on a programme that had previously only been offered full-time. It's worth investigating whether any accommodations or changes could be made to better assist you in completing your degree.

If you're feeling overwhelmed or struggling with your health, I encourage you to seek out support from your university's wellbeing services. Many universities offer counselling, mental health support, and other resources to help students manage stress and cope with challenges. Taking care of your mental and physical health is important, and there are resources available to help you along the way.

Remember, it's okay to take time to prioritise your health and well-being. You've already accomplished so much by completing more than half of your degree and learning so much along the way. You can do this, and there are people who want to support you in reaching your goals. :smile:

Take care,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student
Reply 5
Original post by souljav
Thanks for the extra info, it’s helpful to know.

So the option are then to either complete the course and do what you can and at least have something or leave now and potentially try again in the future, using what you’ve learnt so far.

Thinking through both…

Accepting What’s done is done and you can’t change the past results now. Having a pgcert or dip is still something, and shows you’ve at least some of that additional learning from a postgrad on the topic. Maybe a personal or individual challenge too for yourself and your own resilience to show you can do it by seeing through. Again, the dissertation does carry a lot of weight, and tbh is the thing that you’ll most likely talk about anyway (if ever) in the future. It’ll be something to look back on and say, I did it. I know people with PhD who don’t even look back at their theses, because they’ll just find all the flaws and things they could’ve done different. Also, you’ve paid for it, and don’t think you’ll get your money back if you finish short.

Saying that, there is also no shame in leaving now and potentially trying again another time. You’ve got the experience now, and know what to expect if you try for another msc in the future and know what you need to do to prepare. Maybe you need to change field or speciality, do a different course or go somewhere else. the question will probably come up about why you left this one, and there is absolutely no problem in being honest about your reasons why, it’s happens to more people than most of us think. There’s also the practical financial question of doing another msc too. The break might also help decide if it’s something you really really want too.

Btw, you could always do both. Finish the course you’re on, try again or another in future. How it’s fit with your interests, career and the financial aspects are the things to think about.

For your career wise, you now have a better idea of what you want and need to do. It would be useful to think how to incorporate more research or look for ways to build your research experience within your career or potentially look for adjacent opportunities (I.e in a similar field,) to maybe fill that desire and motivation in you.

I’m assuming it’s psychology related field
because I’ve heard similar stories about how some unis focus more on research than others in UG. You can definitely find research roles to apply the experience you have, or to build the research experience you need/want, so don’t despair that this is the be all and end all, because it’s not. (Doesn’t feel that way now, but honestly it’s true). Sometimes getting back into the day job can help us refocus our minds on things like if more academic study is what you need or truly want, or how to get where you want t to go.

It’s probably most useful for yourself to pause, take a break, step away and breathe and properly organise your thoughts and then make a decision. Sit down and think about what you want and need career wise etc and how to achieve these. write things down if needed. Get the stress and anxiety out, because we can get caught up in this cycle and think there’s no way out and just get stuck in our own heads for too long, and things just get worse, like burnout or depression. Sounds to me this would be useful, and might help bring that spark back into your life.

I really appreciate this message and it gave me a clearer view on what to do, i apologise my response has taken ages, a lot has happened since my original post and i feel like the stress and everything else is gradually getting worse and worse, honestly even though i feel I'm at my lowest point due to this degree, i don't have it in me to leave something half finished, and even though my situation isn't ideal I'm really grateful for everything I've learnt in this degree/course

my field is science yes but im doing a master's in immuno, I initially accepted the fact that job hunting could be delayed without the degree title, but as a lot has happened im not really sure at this point, i do really long hours in the lab for my thesis, over 9-10 hours a day usually...which i have no problem with, it's just super stressful as i have failed all my exams which i need to revise again, its hard managing everything, i am trying to remind myself everyday it will all be ok and I am trying my best

I really do appreciate your response, and it somewhat has reassured me as well, thank you for that
Original post by qdeclm
I really appreciate this message and it gave me a clearer view on what to do, i apologise my response has taken ages, a lot has happened since my original post and i feel like the stress and everything else is gradually getting worse and worse, honestly even though i feel I'm at my lowest point due to this degree, i don't have it in me to leave something half finished, and even though my situation isn't ideal I'm really grateful for everything I've learnt in this degree/course

my field is science yes but im doing a master's in immuno, I initially accepted the fact that job hunting could be delayed without the degree title, but as a lot has happened im not really sure at this point, i do really long hours in the lab for my thesis, over 9-10 hours a day usually...which i have no problem with, it's just super stressful as i have failed all my exams which i need to revise again, its hard managing everything, i am trying to remind myself everyday it will all be ok and I am trying my best

I really do appreciate your response, and it somewhat has reassured me as well, thank you for that

Can you extend the time over which you finish the degree?Sorry you are struggling btw and yes not all unis or depts are as understanding or accomodating as they should be.
Reply 7
Hello ,hope things are much better for you.Just checking up on you.All the best 💜

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending