The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Funded PhD at Oxbridge with high merit in master's?

Hi, so I'm thinking of applying for PhD/DPhil at Oxbridge and am just finishing my master's at Oxford and waiting for the thesis grade. Currently, I have 67% (merit) which is a minimum for desired PhD degrees at these two unis, and am predicted to get a distinction in the thesis with a topic relevant for the doctoral courses. I got a first in my undergrad (a non-UK uni). Is there any chance of obtaining funding with these grades? I have to mention I do have a distinction in a subject relevant for the PhD and will submit these written works that received distinction as part of my application. Also, the research proposal aligns with the research interests of the potential supervisor.

Apart from that, I have one publication (a coursebook on the relevant field that is due to be published collaboratively by Oxford and another organisation), have taught the relevant subject at two Oxford colleges, have secured funding for both undergrad and master's, and have taken part in several education-related internships that related to my area of interest a little bit. I'm now applying to present at a conference and if accepted, would that be considered in my application as well?

However, the only thing that is stopping me from applying is the 67 score (without the grade for the thesis). I would be very encouraged to apply if I got 70+ on the thesis, but are there still any chances for obtaining funding with a high merit and distinction in the thesis? Is the funding reserved for those who got distinction in their overall result only?

Would appreciate hearing other opinions and/or experiences!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bookworm97
Hi, so I'm thinking of applying for PhD/DPhil at Oxbridge and am just finishing my master's at Oxford and waiting for the thesis grade. Currently, I have 67% (merit) which is a minimum for desired PhD degrees at these two unis, and am predicted to get a distinction in the thesis with a topic relevant for the doctoral courses. I got a first in my undergrad (a non-UK uni). Is there any chance of obtaining funding with these grades? I have to mention I do have a distinction in a subject relevant for the PhD and will submit these written works that received distinction as part of my application. Also, the research proposal aligns with the research interests of the potential supervisor.

Apart from that, I have one publication (a coursebook on the relevant field that is due to be published collaboratively by Oxford and another organisation), have taught the relevant subject at two Oxford colleges, have secured funding for both undergrad and master's, and have taken part in several education-related internships that related to my area of interest a little bit. I'm now applying to present at a conference and if accepted, would that be considered in my application as well?

However, the only thing that is stopping me from applying is the 67 score (without the grade for the thesis). I would be very encouraged to apply if I got 70+ on the thesis, but are there still any chances for obtaining funding with a high merit and distinction in the thesis? Is the funding reserved for those who got distinction in their overall result only?

Would appreciate hearing other opinions and/or experiences!

Hey there, I'm curious how this turned out for you. Did you get accepted and recieve funding?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending