The Student Room Group

Relevance of Commercial Experience in a Pupillage application

I'm a software engineer working at a fintech start up, and have been for the last 10 years in various roles. In the last 5 years I've been in a team lead / associate director role.

I'm now considering a switch over to law, specifically I would like to become a barrister. My academics are moderate: 2.1 from Oxford in a humanities subject, AAA at A level (though this was all well over a decade ago). I've got my places to study GDL - but before I drop that hefty sum, leave my job and take the plunge I am keen to know that I'm not DOA based on decisions that I made over 10 years ago.

How much weight does professional experience carry in a pupillage application?

My research tells me that my academics might not put me in contention for the legal 500 tier commercial/IP sets, but what about other sets, mixed practice sets?

What I would be keen to get an opinion on is whether having a decade of quality professional experience in a competitive field, and my track record there help me with a pupillage application?

Would it at least get me into the door for an interview?
Original post by AdB09
Hey!

I think that commercial experience is valuable for any type of application. For a barrister career, it really helps that you have a degree from Oxford as most chambers in London look for Oxbridge graduates. In terms of the applications, I would recommend going for mini-puppilages at first so that you get experience in shadowing a barrister. I know some friends who have graduated from uni from a RG university and managed to secure mini-puppilages so I think you could also do that. Your commercial experience could be valuable in explaining why you wanted to switch to law. If you want more tips on writing applications, I could recommend Commercial Law Academy's "writing successful applications", which helps with talking about your experiences and skills you have developed.
Hey!

I hope you won't take offence to this, but I think you might be an ad bot using ChatGPT to generate answers that sound a bit like forum posts.

I wonder what you'll say in response to this message though - or if whoever made you has programmed you to respond to people asking if you are an ad bot...
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by iquitelikeegg
I'm a software engineer working at a fintech start up, and have been for the last 10 years in various roles. In the last 5 years I've been in a team lead / associate director role.
I'm now considering a switch over to law, specifically I would like to become a barrister. My academics are moderate: 2.1 from Oxford in a humanities subject, AAA at A level (though this was all well over a decade ago). I've got my places to study GDL - but before I drop that hefty sum, leave my job and take the plunge I am keen to know that I'm not DOA based on decisions that I made over 10 years ago.
How much weight does professional experience carry in a pupillage application?
My research tells me that my academics might not put me in contention for the legal 500 tier commercial/IP sets, but what about other sets, mixed practice sets?
What I would be keen to get an opinion on is whether having a decade of quality professional experience in a competitive field, and my track record there help me with a pupillage application?
Would it at least get me into the door for an interview?

Your experience would probably make you a competitive candidate for pupillage. People who have had a non-legal career before training as barristers often do well at the Bar. For example, I know of four people in the magic circle chambers where I used to practise who had varied careers for ten years or so before requalifying, and they are all successful barristers.

Good luck!
Original post by Stiffy Byng
Your experience would probably make you a competitive candidate for pupillage. People who have had a non-legal career before training as barristers often do well at the Bar. For example, I know of four people in the magic circle chambers where I used to practise who had varied careers for ten years or so before requalifying, and they are all successful barristers.
Good luck!

Thanks for getting back to me, that's good to hear - I'm still pursuing the change atm, but I'm working on picking up some scholarships (if I can) to offset my weaker academic record which I'm hoping will put me in with a shot at the more competitive placements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending