The Student Room Group

What are my chances of securing a good legal training contract?

After a disappointing A-Level result of AAB (English Literature A, Biology A and Chemistry B) after being predicted A*AA, I am now set to study English Literature and English Language at the University of Manchester this month. I am interested in studying Law through a conversion course after my degree and was just wondering how difficult it is to secure a training contract with a competitive firm in London with my results and my degree? For context, my GCSEs were two 9s, six 8s, a 6 and a 5 and I have Grade 8 piano. Would my degree be seen as a 'weak' degree and would my A-levels results hinder my chances (even if I were to get a first)? I really am not very knowledgeable on law applications and any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Also any tips on building my CV for legal applications would really helpful :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi there. Just letting you know that I moved your post to the legal careers and training forum where you'll be able to get better replies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there. Just letting you know that I moved your post to the legal careers and training forum where you'll be able to get better replies :smile:

Thank you! It wasn't letting me post in that forum!
Original post by ottilly
Thank you! It wasn't letting me post in that forum!

No problem :smile: I'm looking into why you couldn't, but for future reference, you can raise any technical problems or issues on TSR on the Report a problem forum
Original post by ottilly
After a disappointing A-Level result of AAB (English Literature A, Biology A and Chemistry B) after being predicted A*AA, I am now set to study English Literature and English Language at the University of Manchester this month. I am interested in studying Law through a conversion course after my degree and was just wondering how difficult it is to secure a training contract with a competitive firm in London with my results and my degree. For context, my GCSEs were two 9s, six 8s, a 6 and a 5 and I have Grade 8 piano. Would my degree be seen as a 'weak' degree and would my A-levels results hinder my chances (even if I were to get a first). I really am not very knowledgeable on law applications and any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Also any tips on building my CV for legal experience applications would really helpful :smile:

GCSEs don’t really matter. A lot of firms won’t even ask them. Your alevels should meet the minimum requirements of almost all firms. Your uni is fine. Your degree is fine.

As to experience, focus on vacation schemes in your second/third year for legal experience. Anything outside of that just try to get as much work experience as possible. Working at Tesco’s and building a good skill set can be just as valuable as working in a more ‘professional’ setting like a bank - just depends on how you talk about the experience. Any experience is good experience. You should aim to get at least a bit of exposure to law before applying to firms though, and high street / regional firms should be more accessible and approachable. I had about a week of legal experience before I started applying at a London based high street-level type firm. All the other experience on my CV was non-law related.

As to competitiveness, it depends on you really. I don’t think it’s particularly difficult to get into a good city firm provided you check the basic boxes and interview well, but my experience is totally different from someone who may have graduated 5 years ago and is still stuck as a paralegal. You’ll need to be good at writing applications and good at interviews. This all comes with trial and error so the more you do, the better youll get. I’d suggest reaching out to initiatives like GROW / Rare Recruitment to get mentorship and support through the process.
Reply 5
Original post by sublime-baths
GCSEs don’t really matter. A lot of firms won’t even ask them. Your alevels should meet the minimum requirements of almost all firms. Your uni is fine. Your degree is fine.

As to experience, focus on vacation schemes in your second/third year for legal experience. Anything outside of that just try to get as much work experience as possible. Working at Tesco’s and building a good skill set can be just as valuable as working in a more ‘professional’ setting like a bank - just depends on how you talk about the experience. Any experience is good experience. You should aim to get at least a bit of exposure to law before applying to firms though, and high street / regional firms should be more accessible and approachable. I had about a week of legal experience before I started applying at a London based high street-level type firm. All the other experience on my CV was non-law related.

As to competitiveness, it depends on you really. I don’t think it’s particularly difficult to get into a good city firm provided you check the basic boxes and interview well, but my experience is totally different from someone who may have graduated 5 years ago and is still stuck as a paralegal. You’ll need to be good at writing applications and good at interviews. This all comes with trial and error so the more you do, the better youll get. I’d suggest reaching out to initiatives like GROW / Rare Recruitment to get mentorship and support through the process.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it :smile: I am very confident when it comes to interviews it was just my grades that I was worried would put me at the bottom of the list for applications. I will definitely be applying to both GROW and Rare Recruitment when applications open again, thanks for letting me know!
Original post by ottilly
After a disappointing A-Level result of AAB (English Literature A, Biology A and Chemistry B) after being predicted A*AA, I am now set to study English Literature and English Language at the University of Manchester this month. I am interested in studying Law through a conversion course after my degree and was just wondering how difficult it is to secure a training contract with a competitive firm in London with my results and my degree. For context, my GCSEs were two 9s, six 8s, a 6 and a 5 and I have Grade 8 piano. Would my degree be seen as a 'weak' degree and would my A-levels results hinder my chances (even if I were to get a first)? I really am not very knowledgeable on law applications and any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Also any tips on building my CV for legal applications would really helpful :smile:

Hi @ottilly!

Firstly congratulations on your results! Even if you were slightly disappointed these are an excellent achievement! Your degree certainly won't be seen as weak and your A levels will not hinder your chances. In order to ensure that your academic achievements come across as 'strong' on your CV make sure to dedicate yourself and work hard throughout your degree to achieve the best result you can. Equally, when doing your conversion course also strive to get a distinction. With these two degrees/qualifications alongside your A levels, you certainly would not be at the bottom of applicants in regard to academics. I also studied for an English degree before doing the conversion course and have not found it to have hindered my applications at all. I have been competitively selected for mini-pupillages, pro bono services and have also achieved two scholarships to study the BPC so I certainly wouldn't worry about studying English :smile: In order to build your CV make sure you get involved with co-curricular activities such as mooting which can display transferrable skills for the legal profession. Also, get as much legal work experience as you can!

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie
Original post by ottilly
After a disappointing A-Level result of AAB (English Literature A, Biology A and Chemistry B) after being predicted A*AA, I am now set to study English Literature and English Language at the University of Manchester this month. I am interested in studying Law through a conversion course after my degree and was just wondering how difficult it is to secure a training contract with a competitive firm in London with my results and my degree. For context, my GCSEs were two 9s, six 8s, a 6 and a 5 and I have Grade 8 piano. Would my degree be seen as a 'weak' degree and would my A-levels results hinder my chances (even if I were to get a first)? I really am not very knowledgeable on law applications and any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Also any tips on building my CV for legal applications would really helpful :smile:

hi there, congrats on ur results and that is better than most especially me🤣🤣, i got a DDE and am going to do law at ulaw Manchester and hopefully want to go on and become a barrister but idk if i can with my grades and the university i have chosen. any ideas??
Reply 8
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @ottilly!

Firstly congratulations on your results! Even if you were slightly disappointed these are an excellent achievement! Your degree certainly won't be seen as weak and your A levels will not hinder your chances. In order to ensure that your academic achievements come across as 'strong' on your CV make sure to dedicate yourself and work hard throughout your degree to achieve the best result you can. Equally, when doing your conversion course also strive to get a distinction. With these two degrees/qualifications alongside your A levels, you certainly would not be at the bottom of applicants in regard to academics. I also studied for an English degree before doing the conversion course and have not found it to have hindered my applications at all. I have been competitively selected for mini-pupillages, pro bono services and have also achieved two scholarships to study the BPC so I certainly wouldn't worry about studying English :smile: In order to build your CV make sure you get involved with co-curricular activities such as mooting which can display transferrable skills for the legal profession. Also, get as much legal work experience as you can!

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie

Thanks for your reassurance! And congratulations on your success with applications! Could I ask what extra-curriculars you did alongside your study to get those offers? I am hoping for a first to strengthen my application but have not even started my course yet haha so am being perhaps very optimistic but will try my hardest :smile: Super helpful, thanks again!!
Reply 9
Original post by 1414al-atariq
hi there, congrats on ur results and that is better than most especially me🤣🤣, i got a DDE and am going to do law at ulaw Manchester and hopefully want to go on and become a barrister but idk if i can with my grades and the university i have chosen. any ideas??

Weren't grade boundaries this year horrific D:
Original post by ottilly
Thanks for your reassurance! And congratulations on your success with applications! Could I ask what extra-curriculars you did alongside your study to get those offers? I am hoping for a first to strengthen my application but have not even started my course yet haha so am being perhaps very optimistic but will try my hardest :smile: Super helpful, thanks again!!

i haven't done anything as of yet cos i m going to be starting my degree this coming monday 🤣🤣 and what do you mean by extra curriculars??
The grades are fine and 50% of trainees at big firms don't do law first. You will need to study the system of applications and deadlines and do lots of law things at university such as joining the law society and apply for vacation schemes and training contracts during your degree as firms recruit many years ahead who might sponsor your law conversion and SQE courses and exams. Do not wait until you are about to graduate. Also remember the law conversion is no longer compulsory although just about all decent firms will want you to do it before the SQE courses and exams
Original post by 17Student17
The grades are fine and 50% of trainees at big firms don't do law first. You will need to study the system of applications and deadlines and do lots of law things at university such as joining the law society and apply for vacation schemes and training contracts during your degree as firms recruit many years ahead who might sponsor your law conversion and SQE courses and exams. Do not wait until you are about to graduate. Also remember the law conversion is no longer compulsory although just about all decent firms will want you to do it before the SQE courses and exams

thats reassuring upto a point but i m going to do the bar practice course instead of the sqe as i want to be a barrister. if for some reason i cant get into a pupillage or anything then i could do the sqe and become. a solicitor. Hopefully i dont have to go to my backup plan. What did u mean by vacation schemes and i think o wont have to do a conversion course as i m doing an llb.
Reply 13
Original post by 1414al-atariq
i haven't done anything as of yet cos i m going to be starting my degree this coming monday 🤣🤣 and what do you mean by extra curriculars??

Sorry I was replying to the Uni of Law student rep haha
Reply 14
Original post by 17Student17

Thanks, I plan on getting as much law experience as I can during university. I didn't know you could get sponsored for the law conversion as well as it not being compulsory that's interesting!
Yes eg one big City law firm's website says "Applications for the September 2026/March 2027 non-law intake (for non-law finalists and graduates) will open on Friday 1 September 2023 and will close on Thursday 30 November 2023 at 11.59pm." https://www.slaughterandmay.com/careers/trainee-solicitors/apply/
All the big firms want poeople with an LLB or else they sponsor a PGDL for them for a year before they go on to the SQE course/exams.
Reply 16
Original post by ottilly
After a disappointing A-Level result of AAB (English Literature A, Biology A and Chemistry B) after being predicted A*AA, I am now set to study English Literature and English Language at the University of Manchester this month. I am interested in studying Law through a conversion course after my degree and was just wondering how difficult it is to secure a training contract with a competitive firm in London with my results and my degree? For context, my GCSEs were two 9s, six 8s, a 6 and a 5 and I have Grade 8 piano. Would my degree be seen as a 'weak' degree and would my A-levels results hinder my chances (even if I were to get a first)? I really am not very knowledgeable on law applications and any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Also any tips on building my CV for legal applications would really helpful :smile:

Hey!

I think that you have good academics and that you should apply for a training contract if you are set on pursuing a career in law. For your degree, I would strive to aim for a 2:1 - 1st so that you meet the academic requirements that firms set. In order to stand out, you will need to write good applications where you clearly show your interest in commercial law and why you want to join the firm that you're applying to. You should try to go to open days, insight days, and firm events to develop your knowledge of these firms and talk to trainees to find out about the culture.

You should also read the news and pick out some stories or sectors that appeal to you. Then try to build your commercial awareness by finding out how current events impact that sector and what other developments could happen in the future in that sector (what problems, challenges, opportunities are ahead). Commercial Law Academy has great courses on writing successful applications as well as developing your commercial awareness.
Original post by ottilly

Hi,

It doesn't really matter what extra curriculars you do alongside as long as they can show the key skills that you need to be a lawyer. I predominantly did mooting alongside my studies as this is one of the best way to show advocacy skills, critical thinking and the ability to respond under pressure (it is also quite fun when you get over the nerves!). Other than that, I just researched different legal charities that allowed student volunteers such as SCP and NCDV and got stuck-in.

Sophie 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending