The Student Room Group

Is it best to put a uni as firm choice because of reduced offer?

Uni of Liverpool gave me a reduced offer and they said in the email it's because they really liked my portfolio (for architecture). Would it be better to put this as my first choice because they value me more, or did they just do it because the course isn't competitive and is undersubscribed or something?
Reply 1
do you have to firm it to get the reduced offer? if not then id keep it for insurance imo and pick whatever uni you genuinely like best for your first choice
Reply 2
Original post by Pedr0
do you have to firm it to get the reduced offer? if not then id keep it for insurance imo and pick whatever uni you genuinely like best for your first choice
No it doesn't need to be firm, but it's AAB so I'm not sure if I want to risk having it as insurance since my predicted's are AAA.
Reply 3
that's fair, you've got till June anyway to decide your firm/insurance choices right
but I'd think you're likely to get higher offers than this, and firming a lower offer wouldnt be a good idea unless you've been to the uni and are absolutely sure youd wanna go there over any higher offers (if that makes sense) - means that if you absolutely smash your a-levels it wouldn't really count for anything in that scenario
have you had any other offers yet?
I would not let a reduced offer sway your decision.

If they are already lowering requirements they’ll probably be flexible on results day.
Reply 5
Original post by Pedr0
that's fair, you've got till June anyway to decide your firm/insurance choices right
but I'd think you're likely to get higher offers than this, and firming a lower offer wouldnt be a good idea unless you've been to the uni and are absolutely sure youd wanna go there over any higher offers (if that makes sense) - means that if you absolutely smash your a-levels it wouldn't really count for anything in that scenario
have you had any other offers yet?
sorry for the late reply.
I applied to Lancaster, Sheffield, Liverpool, Loughborough and Bath
offers: Lancaster, Sheffield, Liverpool
rejected: Loughborough
not heard from Bath yet
At the moment my top choice is Sheffield's landscape and architecture dual honours, but I'm not sure if I like the city. I really like Liverpool as well.
Original post by athenaginao
sorry for the late reply.
I applied to Lancaster, Sheffield, Liverpool, Loughborough and Bath
offers: Lancaster, Sheffield, Liverpool
rejected: Loughborough
not heard from Bath yet
At the moment my top choice is Sheffield's landscape and architecture dual honours, but I'm not sure if I like the city. I really like Liverpool as well.

The course is the most important thing to consider as that is what you will be studying for three years. If you can, go to an offer-holder day in Sheffield and have another look around. Head to the Ecclesall Road area where lots of students live in second and third years - it has a nice vibe. With two unis in the city there is a large student population and there is a lot going on. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
The course is the most important thing to consider as that is what you will be studying for three years. If you can, go to an offer-holder day in Sheffield and have another look around. Head to the Ecclesall Road area where lots of students live in second and third years - it has a nice vibe. With two unis in the city there is a large student population and there is a lot going on. :smile:
thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending