The Student Room Group

Getting an offer from a uni

Yesterday, I sent my uni applications and I received two offers today. A bit of backstory my predicted grades are quite average (ccc) but I have a really good personal statement and references. I want to do Marketing and received a offer from DMU offering me a place if I get 48 tariff points (EEE/DD) and make it as my firm choice despite it asking for 112 tariff points (BBC) as a course requirements. Is there a catch, anything I should know about?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by IdrisMoualdi
Yesterday, I sent my uni applications and I received two offers today. A bit of backstory my predicted grades are quite average (ccc) but I have a really good personal statement and references. I want to do Marketing and received a offer from DMU offering me a place if I get 48 tariff points (EEE/DD) and make it as my firm choice despite it asking for 112 tariff points (BBC) as a course requirements. Is there a catch, anything I should know about?

Thanks

Dont fall for this sort of bribery.

They are making you this offer because DMU is desperate to fill places - its not because they want you, but because they would want anyone who is upright and breathing.

Ignore it and wait for better offers to come in.
As a sidenote, unis making these kind of offers will almost certainly be in clearing and have wiggle room on results day.

It is a marketing tool, but it doesn't mean it isn't the right uni+course for you, just don't pick it because of their reduced offer.
Original post by IdrisMoualdi

Thanks

Hi there @IdrisMoualdi - I hope you're well and congratulations on your offers!

I do, to an extent, agree with @Admit-One that you should not necessarily accept an offer as your firm hastily. It's always best to check out the Universities you are most interested in, in-person if you can, to get a feel for the environment, campus, and resources available!

Reduced offers can be helpful to put people at ease or for those students that are already set on where they want to study. However, there is still time before you have to choose a Firm and Insurance on UCAS (essentially your #1 choice and a backup). Your offer won't stay at a reduced tariff if you decide that perhaps DMU isn't your #1 choice, but it's still another offer under your belt, and there is also Clearing as well (everyone, and every journey, is different!). Finding the best fit for your needs, be it personal, social, and/or academic, can take time but trust your gut instinct and you'll get there!

Hope this helps clarify a bit, and all the best,

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending