The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Chances of getting into uni?

Hello, I've finished my exams and I'm pretty unhappy. I think I'll be getting ABC instead of my uni offer AAB due to REALLY messing up on Maths Paper 3 and Physics Paper 1 (OCR). I REALLY don't want to repeat Year 13 but also really don't want to go anywhere else but Loughborough Uni. I was planning to take Mathematics and Physics. Does anyone who's been through this kind of situation know what my chances are of being accepted on this course with the grades I'll probably be getting? Will I probably go to clearing? I'm happy to give more information if need be.
Reply 1
Original post by 3hunnabb
Hello, I've finished my exams and I'm pretty unhappy. I think I'll be getting ABC instead of my uni offer AAB due to REALLY messing up on Maths Paper 3 and Physics Paper 1 (OCR). I REALLY don't want to repeat Year 13 but also really don't want to go anywhere else but Loughborough Uni. I was planning to take Mathematics and Physics. Does anyone who's been through this kind of situation know what my chances are of being accepted on this course with the grades I'll probably be getting? Will I probably go to clearing? I'm happy to give more information if need be.

Was looking for someone in a similar position so I could ask the same. I think I'm gonna score ABC/A*BE or smth like that but my firm offer is ABB reduced from AAB. I have a backup choice of reduced CCC at a local uni so I'm not too worried.
What I've heard from my parents and others is that if you are applying for an in-demand course at that particular uni then the entry standards are not going to be lenient, however if the course is not in high demand (reduced offer beforehand or fast admissions acceptance / reply) there *may* be some leniency given it's your firm choice. I'm still unsure though.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by i3percs
Was looking for someone in a similar position so I could ask the same. I think I'm gonna score ABC/A*BE or smth like that but my firm offer is ABB reduced from AAB. I have a backup choice of reduced CCC at a local uni so I'm not too worried.
What I've heard from my parents and others is that if you are applying for an in-demand course at that particular uni then the entry standards are not going to be lenient, however if the course is not in high demand (reduced offer beforehand or fast admissions acceptance / reply) there *may* be some leniency given it's your firm choice. I'm still unsure though.

Unfortunately I don't have a safe offer due to unforseen complications-I got rejected from my safe because it was only for individuals who didn't take mathematics or physics at a level and the course did NOT state this on application which was really silly. So I'm stuck here needed AAB when I'll definitely be getting ABC. My only saving grace is that the course had 22 people in it when I went there in 2022 and it has capacity for 32, so I was thinking worst comes to worst they'd just let me in through clearing regardless? I don't know. Very scared.
Firstly think positively I know many people coming out of exams thinknig they did rubish however they smashed it. Secondly im pretty sure a lot of people struggled with physics this year because of some tough papers so the grade boundaries might be lower then usual. Also you wont be getting into ur uni through clearing instead they will look at your application after admitting everyone else who met their offer and see if they have enough spaces to let u in anyway and because you hopefully wont be too far of your offer you could be classed as a near miss where they still might let you in anyway. But as always with these things it depends on how well your cohort perform
Unfortunately I don't have a safe offer due to unforseen complications-I got rejected from my safe because it was only for individuals who didn't take mathematics or physics at a level and the course did NOT state this on application which was really silly. So I'm stuck here needed AAB when I'll definitely be getting ABC. My only saving grace is that the course had 22 people in it when I went there in 2022 and it has capacity for 32, so I was thinking worst comes to worst they'd just let me in through clearing regardless? I don't know. Very scared.
Reply 4

Many people I know from the year above (including AAA students) took a gap year despite making their offer. Also wouldn't the uni accept the firm choices who are slightly below before clearing?
Reply 5
Original post by user123456324
Firstly think positively I know many people coming out of exams thinknig they did rubish however they smashed it. Secondly im pretty sure a lot of people struggled with physics this year because of some tough papers so the grade boundaries might be lower then usual. Also you wont be getting into ur uni through clearing instead they will look at your application after admitting everyone else who met their offer and see if they have enough spaces to let u in anyway and because you hopefully wont be too far of your offer you could be classed as a near miss where they still might let you in anyway. But as always with these things it depends on how well your cohort perform

Problem is I know I haven't done well on maths. Physics is OK because I made up for it completely on paper 2 and 3, a B is most likely but I could probably get an A with a bit of luck. Maths is the problem because I BOMBED on paper 3. Using the unofficial markschemes on TSR which are usually very accurate, I got 55/100 on paper 1, 65/100 on paper 2 and I'll be lucky to get 20/100 on paper 3 ☹️ basically from an A to a C. It was such a ridiculous paper especially compared to last year's (2022 candidates were SO LUCKY, they had it VERY easy) so yeah the cohort probably did pretty badly too but I did exceptionally bad. I'm so disappointed that I basically fell at the last hurdle.

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you haven’t done as well as hoped. Exams are tough and sometimes it doesn’t go as planned.
Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to whether you’ll still be accepted. It will depend on how different your grades are from the required and how lenient Loughborough decides to be. It may turn out that you will be differed to your safety uni or go to clearing.

I would recommend considering your options for what you’d like to do should it turn out this way. Consider your safety uni and don’t rule it totally out just yet. I know repeating isn’t ideal but its nothing to be ashamed of! Lots of people don’t go to uni straight away for lots of reasons and it gives you more time to prepare.

I also wouldn’t stress too much right now. Until you know your results there isn’t much you can do so try and enjoy your summer as best you can. You never know, maybe you did better than you thought!

- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Hi @3hunnabb,

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

You can find out a little more information about this on our FAQs page here.

If you do have any questions about life at Loughborough in the meantime, let us know.

- Lindsay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending