The Student Room Group

Psychology

How hard is Bsc Psychology at degree level (uk) compared to A-level?
Original post by rajjfilms

I would say that how hard it is really depends on what kind of learner you are :smile: Psychology at undergraduate level relies on independent learning and self motivation. At my university at least, no one is tracking whether or not you attend lectures. You get a lot of free time as well to do revision and extra reading. So, you do have to be quite self motivated. I honestly think that's one of the hardest things about uni - a lot of my friends said that was what they found the most difficult as well! If you're the type of person who needs to be forced to study, sometimes some universities have quite good support around academic skills which can be helpful.

I also wouldn't say certain aspects of the course feel impossible to get a decent grade in, but you do get certain modules you are weaker in, depending on your past studies. So, for example I never studied anything too scientific in my A-Levels. I struggle a bit more with statistics and neuroscience-type modules or more science-y modules like perception. But with those things its a matter of working for the grade - as long as you put in the effort for the module, you'll turn out fine :smile:

There are also some key academic skills which might feel challenging to adjust to. For example, critical analysis in essays, or even working on group practicals can feel difficult. But your uni might sometimes give quite useful support with this :smile:

~ Fatiha, Cardiff University Student Rep
Original post by rajjfilms

Hello, I'm currently in my second year of a psychology BSc at Lancaster University and so far I have found that going from A level to first year was quite easy, but going from first year to second year felt like a bigger step up. First year will cover a lot of material that is similar to A Level, so if you already have that knowledge you are unlikely to struggle with the content. Additionally, I didn't find the coursework too difficult and there was a lot of support available. Statistics was intimidating at first but I actually found it easier than the statistics I did at A level!
Moving from first year to second year definitely came with some increased difficulties, as there are a lot more expectations placed on you to work independently. The coursework and exams were noticeably harder but not impossibly so. I also found that the same level of help from the department is still available in year 2, you just have to ask for it rather than expect it to be given to you.
I hope this helps, good luck with the future!
-Kat (2nd year undergraduate psychology student at Lancaster University)

Quick Reply

Latest