The Student Room Group

uni degree choice

I’m now in my second semester of the first year of BSc Forensic Science and I’m not sure if it was the right choice.

I enjoy Forensic Science but I feel like I would also enjoy Medical Sciences, Biology or Biomed. The Forensic Science course was not what I expected at all and I really miss studying more biology-themed modules.

Unsure what to do.
Original post by phi04
I’m now in my second semester of the first year of BSc Forensic Science and I’m not sure if it was the right choice.

I enjoy Forensic Science but I feel like I would also enjoy Medical Sciences, Biology or Biomed. The Forensic Science course was not what I expected at all and I really miss studying more biology-themed modules.

Unsure what to do.

Are there any bio courses at your current uni that you would like to switch to? If so, talk to your uni about a course swap.

The alternative is to start a UCAS application and apply to start a new course in September at a different uni. As the equal consideration deadline has passed, you need to check if the courses are still open to applicants. Also, have a read through the first post of the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
Reply 2
Original post by normaw

Are there any bio courses at your current uni that you would like to switch to? If so, talk to your uni about a course swap.

The alternative is to start a UCAS application and apply to start a new course in September at a different uni. As the equal consideration deadline has passed, you need to check if the courses are still open to applicants. Also, have a read through the first post of the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424

my uni does biology and biomed so it is an option i’m just unsure what to do
Original post by phi04

Unsure what to do.
Hi there,

It sounds like you'd be interested in learning more about your current university's biology and biomed courses.

I'd recommend getting in contact with your PAT to let them know what you're thinking, as they can give you some guidance and let you know what steps you can take to change or modify your degree, if that is what you want to do.

Getting in touch with the head of department for these courses to sit down and discuss what they involve and whether you'd be able to switch would be a good thing to do too. Make sure you know what the course and modules are like before you make the switch to be certain that you'd be happy with your decision.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
Original post by phi04

Unsure what to do.

Hi @phi04 ,

My best advice would be to talk to people at uni and see what they think! If you have an academic advisor or personal tutor, I would recommend setting up a meeting with them and going through your options with them as they may be able to give you good advice on what they think you should do. Or, talk to your module tutors if they have time as they will know more about the course itself and if they think you would enjoy other modules next year better than this year.

If they offer a course you are more interested in at the university you are currently at, it may be possible to switch courses so I would also ask your tutors about this. If this is something you decide to do, I would recommend getting in contact with the module tutors/module leader for the course or courses you are considering as they may have chance to go through the modules you would be studying on that course with you to see if it is something you may be more interested in! If they aren't free, your academic advisor or personal tutor can usually do this with you.

Or, the alternative would be to switch to a different uni! However, with UCAS deadlines already passed, this may not be as straight forward so it's worth looking into your uni first if you are happy where you are!

I hope this helps and good luck with the decision making!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending