The Student Room Group

Firm/insurance

Hi so yesterday I replied to offers and firmed Sheffield I now feel really off and that maybe I should have chosen my insurance (Aston university). The main reason I chose Sheffield is because it was Russel group is that worth it? I am so confused they're both good unis
Russell group universities get more investment / research investment and because of that better experts / lecturers which leads to, in general, better employment prospects.

That said, you should go with your heart. There is no point going somewhere and being miserable nor choosing a course you may not like. You should really firm your preference and have a happy life (IMHO).
Reply 2
My plans for after uni is to carry on with clinical psychology, (if you have any knowledge about this) do you know if Russel group would put me at any advantage because that's my dream job
Reply 3
RG actually doesn't make any real difference in the long term. Most main-stream employers are not even aware of it and/or don't care - all they are interested in is that you have a relevant degree and have done more at Uni than just your degree.

As long as a Psychology degree is accredited by BPS - https://portal.bps.org.uk/Accredited-Courses - its worth doing.
Its important that you choose a degree with optional units that interest you (check all years of the degree) - and a Uni environment that feels right for you. Don't be blinded by RG etc - remember that does not guarantee that you will enjoy your course, like being at that Uni, or have an instantly successful career.

You can change your F & I choices within 14 days of making your original choice.
Think carefully before you make any change.
Reply 4
Original post by Johnny Valentine
Russell group universities get more investment / research investment and because of that better experts / lecturers which leads to, in general, better employment prospects.

1) Research intensive Unis can often mean that you are taught by PhD students, not the expert lecturers who are too busy doing their research to teach undergraduates. Be careful what you wish for.
2) No it doesnt. Who you are taught by has no impact on your individual employment prospects. That is entirely up to you.
Original post by McGinger
1) Research intensive Unis can often mean that you are taught by PhD students, not the expert lecturers who are too busy doing their research to teach undergraduates. Be careful what you wish for.
2) No it doesnt. Who you are taught by has no impact on your individual employment prospects. That is entirely up to you.

Well, we won’t agree but

2] yes it does. Who you are taught by is a factor of the uni you went to and the uni you went to has an impact on your individual employment prospects. Some employers and their graduate programmes prefer some universities.

Anyway, it doesn’t change my overall advice which is to go where you are happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending