The Student Room Group

Uni Choices Help

My predicted grades are currently A* in maths and economics and a B in psychology with my EPQ (on fiscal policy) grades coming back in September. I will ask to see if I can move my psychology up when I go back in September but in case I can't I'm wondering what my best options are for Unis that I can apply to for economics.
Original post by pls helpsvebrtg
My predicted grades are currently A* in maths and economics and a B in psychology with my EPQ (on fiscal policy) grades coming back in September. I will ask to see if I can move my psychology up when I go back in September but in case I can't I'm wondering what my best options are for Unis that I can apply to for economics.

Hi there,

Congratulations on your predicted grades! Those are some great results, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of options when it comes to choosing a university.

The University of Kent is a great option for economics. We offer a variety of courses at all levels, and our graduates are highly sought-after by employers. We also have a strong research reputation, so you'll be learning from some of the best minds in the field. If you are interested, you can learn a bit more here at our website.

The entry requirements for our economics courses are BBB-BBC, so you're well within the range. Even if your psychology grade doesn't come up to scratch, we may still be able to offer you a place if you have a strong EPQ.

I would recommend that you start researching universities as soon as possible, since that never hurts. There are a lot of great options out there, and it's important to find the right one for you. The UCAS website will be your best friend to find out more about different universities and courses.

I'm also happy to answer any questions you have about the University of Kent. Just let me know.

Good luck with your studies!

Take care,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative

You should have a good selection available to you with those predictions. Certainly even better if you can get that psychology grade boosted.

Have you got any idea of the sort of universities you would like to apply to?

Hi @pls helpsvebrtg,

Congratulations on some great predicted grades!

Studying Economics at the University of Chester can provide you with a solid foundation in economic principles, analytical skills, and real-world applications. The university can offer experienced faculty, a supportive learning environment, and potential networking opportunities.

Find more details about the course and requirements here: https://www1.chester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/economics

Make sure to consider the specific curriculum, resources, and career opportunities the program can offer you before making a decision :smile:

Wishing you the best of luck,
Ellie
Original post by 5hyl33n
You should have a good selection available to you with those predictions. Certainly even better if you can get that psychology grade boosted.

Have you got any idea of the sort of universities you would like to apply to?

I went to open days at bath bristol and LSE. I preferred bath the most but I liked all of them obviously these are high achieving Unis and if I got into LSE I would take it straight away but right now with my B I can't apply to bristol or LSE so I'm just curious what my other options could be. I would prefer one no further north of Leeds but right now I'm not too bothered whether it's a campus or city
I went to open days at bath bristol and LSE. I preferred bath the most but I liked all of them obviously these are high achieving Unis and if I got into LSE I would take it straight away but right now with my B I can't apply to bristol or LSE so I'm just curious what my other options could be. I would prefer one no further north of Leeds but right now I'm not too bothered whether it's a campus or city

When choosing university options, I suggest:

Option 1
2 universities with slightly higher entry requirements than your predicted grades
2 universities with the same entry requirements as your predicted grades
1 university with a slightly lower entry requirement than your predicted grades

or

Option 2
1 university with a slightly higher entry requirement than your predicted grades
2 universities with slightly lower entry requirements than your predicted grades

Option 1 is better if you want to take a risk. Option 2 is better if you would rather play it safe.

This is what you should be looking for when choosing universities:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/what-and-where-study/choosing-course/how-choose-between-undergraduate-courses-and-unis

This is how to avoid 5 rejections:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Take some time to look at different universities and once you've narrowed it down, feel free to come back on here and let us know what you've decided and if you need more advice.

I haven't looked at the entry requirements but you could look at:
Manchester
Birmingham
Sheffield
Nottingham
Leeds

... The list goes on! Just make sure that you are choosing your options wisely.

Edit: My bad. It completely slipped my mind that LSE requires further mathematics (unless your school doesn't offer it). Thank you @BenRyan99 for pointing that out in your post. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
You would be able to get into Lancaster Uni as long as you get AAB with a B in maths.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

You haven't actually said what course you're wanting to study? But I'm going to assume straight economics (but do let me know if it's something else).

I think the first thing to note is that LSE's BSc Economics course requires further maths a-levels (unless your school doesn't offer it). So given you're doing maths, economics, psychology and an EPQ (on fiscal policy...really?), it's very unlikely you'd receive an offer. I remember reading somewhere that 96% of successful applicants to their BSc Economics course had FM A-level, with the rest mainly being those who's school didn't offer it.

With respect to Bristol and Bath, they're both great unis for economics. Given their A*AA requirements, and you having A*A*B + EPQ, I would say you stand a pretty good shot at both - even better if you can get that psychology prediction up.

Assuming you're not going to apply to LSE, I would spread my 5 application unis as follows:

1) Can apply to two of the good unis (e.g. Bristol & Bath), and three slightly lower ones like Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, Sheffield, Loughborough, Surrey, Southampton, York, etc).

2) Or go slightly more aggressive and use one of the lower slots for a better course (e.g. Nottingham/Exeter/Kings) and have two of the lower ones instead.
Original post by 5hyl33n
When choosing university options, I suggest:

Option 1
2 universities with slightly higher entry requirements than your predicted grades
1 university with a slightly lower entry requirement than your predicted grades

or

Option 2
1 university with a slightly higher entry requirement than your predicted grades
2 universities with slightly lower entry requirements than your predicted grades

Option 1 is better if you want to take a risk. Option 2 is better if you would rather play it safe.

This is what you should be looking for when choosing universities:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/what-and-where-study/choosing-course/how-choose-between-undergraduate-courses-and-unis

This is how to avoid 5 rejections:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Take some time to look at different universities and once you've narrowed it down, feel free to come back on here and let us know what you've decided and if you need more advice.

I haven't looked at the entry requirements but you could look at:
Manchester
Birmingham
Sheffield
Nottingham
Leeds

... The list goes on! Just make sure that you are choosing your options wisely.

Edit: My bad. It completely slipped my mind that LSE requires further mathematics (unless your school doesn't offer it). Thank you @BenRyan99 for pointing that out in your post. :smile:

Newcastle is also good I hear
Original post by suegrenatey
Newcastle is also good I hear

Thank you for the suggestion. @pls helpsvebrtg have a look at Newcastle if you want.

I’ve only provided OP with a starting point of universities but it’s up to them to research thoroughly and ask themselves whether they would be happy going there. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending