The Student Room Group

s6 subject choices

hey! currently trying to decide between taking advanced higher chemistry or advanced higher art (ik quite different) in my sixth year as they are both in the same column. I am almost definitely taking AH bio and higher Spanish as well. I am predicted A's in both Art and chemistry at higher level but am finding higher chemistry quite hard(as in, I actually have to study a decent amount TOT). BUT I know I will like the people in the chemistry class, I enjoy its practical aspects and find parts of the course interesting, even though I hate the assesments. I do not consistently achieve good grades in chemistry. I am good at art and enjoy it—I wil most likely do quite well at AH, but dont enjoy deadlines. From people who have done either of these courses/know someone who has, any input or information about them would be much appreciated!! For example workload, course content, fun-ness, difficulty level etc.

(i am considering studying science(Biology/envi sci) at uni, but art is a sort of passion/long-time hobby of mine, even though i dont produce alot unless for school)
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by _tarmack._
hey! currently trying to decide between taking advanced higher chemistry or advanced higher art (ik quite different) in my sixth year as they are both in the same column. I am almost definitely taking AH bio and higher Spanish as well. I am predicted A's in both Art and chemistry at higher level but am finding higher chemistry quite hard(as in, I actually have to study a decent amount TOT). BUT I know I will like the people in the chemistry class, I enjoy its practical aspects and find parts of the course interesting, even though I hate the assesments. I do not consistently achieve good grades in chemistry. I am good at art and enjoy it—I wil most likely do quite well at AH, but dont enjoy deadlines. From people who have done either of these courses/know someone who has, any input or information about them would be much appreciated!! For example workload, course content, fun-ness, difficulty level etc.
(i am considering studying science(Biology/envi sci) at uni, but art is a sort of passion/long-time hobby of mine, even though i dont produce alot unless for school)

I'm taking advanced higher art rn, and all I would say is that it's a lot of work. You need to do loads for pieces, and it can get quite stressful around march-may time. You do have to work on your pieces in your free time as well, so I am currently using quite a few of my free periods to sit in art and do extra work just to keep up. Although, I think if you're consistently turning out pieces at a good pace throughout the year, then you should be fine and be able to keep up with the workload. I will say a benefit to AH art is that there is no exam and you have more time to work on your folio than in higher. I don't know if this helps at all, but this was kinda my experience with AH art :]
Reply 2
Original post by Stephi.m
I'm taking advanced higher art rn, and all I would say is that it's a lot of work. You need to do loads for pieces, and it can get quite stressful around march-may time. You do have to work on your pieces in your free time as well, so I am currently using quite a few of my free periods to sit in art and do extra work just to keep up. Although, I think if you're consistently turning out pieces at a good pace throughout the year, then you should be fine and be able to keep up with the workload. I will say a benefit to AH art is that there is no exam and you have more time to work on your folio than in higher. I don't know if this helps at all, but this was kinda my experience with AH art :]
thankyou! Currently stressing out over finishing my higher folio before the easter holidays lol. I actually handed in my options form on monday, and chose chemistry (gasp) but definitely still considering art as an option(since i might end up dropping out of chemistry and coming crawling back to art)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending