The Student Room Group

EPQ - Tired Year 12 student.

Our school is making us do prePQ's so that we know if we want to do EPQ's later in year 13, I'm doing computer science and want to do that at uni, but I feel so clueless and hopeless thinking about the subject. Please give me any sort of advice at all if you feel like it.
Original post by Minoru Tanaka
Our school is making us do prePQ's so that we know if we want to do EPQ's later in year 13, I'm doing computer science and want to do that at uni, but I feel so clueless and hopeless thinking about the subject. Please give me any sort of advice at all if you feel like it.
ngl I did one (in history) and it was a waste of time for me personally, but they are good at getting you reduced offers for uni, so if you're considering uni it might be useful
also unless you're really interested in a topic, I'd consider whether it's worth it, as it took up quite a bit of time for me in year 13, admittedly my time management wasn't great so that might just be a me problem

my advice would be if you're considering any unis at the moment to look and see if they would give you a reduced offer with an epq (for mine it was AAB reduced to ABB); consider is there a topic you're interested in enough to write thousands of words on it

honestly it can be really interesting and rewarding, but it's not for everyone :smile:
Thank you so much for replying, your advice is helpful and I feel more clear-sighted towards my pre-pq after reading your reply.
Not only will it possibly get you reduced grades but it's also something really good to write about when applying to university (or degree apprenticeships if you go for any of them). By doing it you can show an interest and depth of knowledge in a particular field and lots of soft skills such as time management. I don't know what a prePQ is as we didn't do those, but our school did a Cyber EPQ which was basically a course on Cyber security and then a project the same as other EPQ's. So I did that and I did my essay on the impact of quantum computing on encryption. I would say do as much research as you can over the summer hols before Yr 12 if possible and decide on a title, then manage your time well and split your project into sections and you'll find it's not too much.
Original post by Jakson123
Not only will it possibly get you reduced grades but it's also something really good to write about when applying to university (or degree apprenticeships if you go for any of them). By doing it you can show an interest and depth of knowledge in a particular field and lots of soft skills such as time management. I don't know what a prePQ is as we didn't do those, but our school did a Cyber EPQ which was basically a course on Cyber security and then a project the same as other EPQ's. So I did that and I did my essay on the impact of quantum computing on encryption. I would say do as much research as you can over the summer hols before Yr 12 if possible and decide on a title, then manage your time well and split your project into sections and you'll find it's not too much.
Thank you for your helpful reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending