The Student Room Group

I need some help

I need some help. I am currently a Year 10 student, studying in the UK, and wish to pursue a career in medicine and I would greatly appreciate someone's assistance in clarifying a few queries I have. Firstly, I recently completed an accelerated course for my Edexcel Higher Maths GCSE and took the exam at the end of Year 10. Now, I am eager to commence the A-Level Maths course and after reading online, I've come up with three potential options:

Option 1: Commencing the AS Maths course in Year 11 and taking the exam at the end of Year 11. In Year 12, I would undertake the final A-Level Maths exam and start the first-year courses for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Finally, during Year 13, I would complete the second-year courses for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, obtaining three final A-Level science grades. However, I have read online that universities may prefer candidates who have sat three A-Level exams in the same sitting. Is this true? Additionally, would taking Physics increase my UCAS points or strengthen my university application? Furthermore, to address any concerns about completing an A-Level early, would undertaking an EPQ in Maths be a viable solution to cope with a workload equivalent to 3 A Levels taken simultaneously? Are there any advantages to pursuing an EPQ, such as extra UCAS points and the potential to present myself as a stronger candidate? Alternatively, would taking Further Maths during Year 13 be a better option instead of an EPQ?

Option 2: Commencing the AS Maths course in Year 11 but not doing the exam until the end of Year 12, similar to regular students. In Year 12, I would also start the first-year courses for Biology and Chemistry and an additional EPQ in one of the subjects. Finally, during Year 13, I would sit the final A-Level exams for Maths, Biology, and Chemistry simultaneously. Would completing all three A-Levels in the same sitting along with an EPQ make me a stronger candidate compared to having taken one A-Level a year early? Additionally, I am curious if universities would consider four A-Level grades or primarily focus on three A-Level grades when assessing applications.

Option 3: Finally, doing the AQA Level 2 Maths course in Year 11 and taking the exam at the end of the year. In Year 12, I would follow the regular path by taking the AS Maths exam and commencing the first-year courses for Biology and Chemistry. Finally, during Year 13, I would sit the final A-Level exams for Maths, Biology, and Chemistry. Would completing the AQA Level 2 Maths course provide any UCAS points or make me a more favourable candidate in the eyes of universities? Similarly, would universities primarily consider three A-Level grades or also assess four A-Level grades during the application process?

I apologise for such a long post but would appreciate if someone could answer my questions and tell me which option would present me as a stronger candidate to universities.
Reply 1
Do an EPQ in medicine, a lot of people ik do that: it provides something thatll bulk up most of your personal statement - note that the system will change next year. Just take all your A Levels in one year, it just saves hassle and I do know a lot of people, rly smart people, who do say that it messes uni applications up (it apparantly shows you can't take the workload), theres no point in taking it earlier - that being said ik a guy who knows a guy who did maths + fm in yr 11. No one really cares about you doing AS at the end of yr 11, nor A level at yr 12 but some schools do do that as common practice (mostly for fm students) . Epq much better than a level early. Btw, apparantly, they care more about ucat/bmat and interviews. Just do physics if u want, ik a few guy who're doing 5 a levels, and one whos applying dentistry.
Reply 2
Original post by Imran M
Do an EPQ in medicine, a lot of people ik do that: it provides something thatll bulk up most of your personal statement - note that the system will change next year. Just take all your A Levels in one year, it just saves hassle and I do know a lot of people, rly smart people, who do say that it messes uni applications up (it apparantly shows you can't take the workload), theres no point in taking it earlier - that being said ik a guy who knows a guy who did maths + fm in yr 11. No one really cares about you doing AS at the end of yr 11, nor A level at yr 12 but some schools do do that as common practice (mostly for fm students) . Epq much better than a level early. Btw, apparantly, they care more about ucat/bmat and interviews. Just do physics if u want, ik a few guy who're doing 5 a levels, and one whos applying dentistry.

thanks so much. so i should just do everything at the end of y13 instead of doing the maths a year early. also would doing the gcse aqa level 2 maths course in year 11 help me at all? like is it just useless or does it help with my university application?
Reply 3
Original post by student123451
thanks so much. so i should just do everything at the end of y13 instead of doing the maths a year early. also would doing the gcse aqa level 2 maths course in year 11 help me at all? like is it just useless or does it help with my university application?

everything at the end of year 13, but epq at end of year 12. Level 2 qual doesn't matter too much, do it anyway if it's free. However, edexcel FMSQ is better, i think it actually has UCAS points attached.
Reply 4
Original post by Imran M
everything at the end of year 13, but epq at end of year 12. Level 2 qual doesn't matter too much, do it anyway if it's free. However, edexcel FMSQ is better, i think it actually has UCAS points attached.

thanks. also im really sorry for asking so many questions but i read online that universities primarily focus on 3 a level grades when assessing applications and so is there any point for me doing 4 a levels? also u said that the system will change so is this change going to be a big change or will it not matter too much?
Reply 5
thanks. also im really sorry for asking so many questions but i read online that universities primarily focus on 3 a level grades when assessing applications and so is there any point for me doing 4 a levels? also u said that the system will change so is this change going to be a big change or will it not matter too much?

if you can do 4 with no worries about grades, i'd do it. that epq is really good - it's a whole year of research, showcasing dedication and gives ammo in interviews. my school has 3+epq as a minimum for everyone. of course, people have gotten in with 3, but a lot of people ik have done 4 a levels, or 3+epq.
However, a lot of unis dont care about fm if you're doing med, my school actually tells you to just drop if it if you're doing med. your ucat and interviews are really important, id consider doing at least one work experience too/research on a topic, a lot of people do that at my school
Reply 6
ok. thank you so much, uve really helped clear my understanding

Original post by Imran M
if you can do 4 with no worries about grades, i'd do it. that epq is really good - it's a whole year of research, showcasing dedication and gives ammo in interviews. my school has 3+epq as a minimum for everyone. of course, people have gotten in with 3, but a lot of people ik have done 4 a levels, or 3+epq.
However, a lot of unis dont care about fm if you're doing med, my school actually tells you to just drop if it if you're doing med. your ucat and interviews are really important, id consider doing at least one work experience too/research on a topic, a lot of people do that at my school
Reply 7
get a second opinion too. maybe from someone who's thinking of doing med
Reply 8
yeah im planning to speak to my careers advisor in school, but she only comes in on mondays or tuesdays, and ive emailed multiple universities so hopefully one can help me out
Reply 9
yeah im planning to speak to my careers advisor in school, but she only comes in on mondays or tuesdays, and ive emailed multiple universities so hopefully one can help me out

dammnn you are on the ball! i wish i was this proactive in yr 10

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending