The Student Room Group

Can I do year 14 and still apply to Oxford?

I'm currently about to finish year 12, and until now I've been taking three A-levels (English, history, and philosophy - I'm also working on an EPQ) but I've decided to drop history since it's not the subject for me and I've also experienced some bullying from students in the class. Instead of history, I've been hoping to take sociology; my teachers are happy for me to do this, but the question still stands about whether it'll affect my Oxford application.

My school have given me two options:
1. Begin year 12 sociology while I finish my other two subjects and complete my EPQ, and stay at sixth form for an extra year to complete the sociology course
2. Complete both years of sociology in one year, while I finish my other two subjects and drop my EPQ

I'd rather do the first option because it's a lot less stressful, but I really have my heart set on applying for Oxford and I was wondering if anyone knew whether doing year 14 would cause any issues. Thank you!!
Reply 1
You should probably contact the admissions tutors at a few different colleges and ask them for their advice. It won't necessarily disadvantage your application to take an extra year. Personally, I applied to Oxford with achieved A*A*B, while preparing to resit the subject I got a B in. Before applying I had heard lots of rumours (not helped by online forums) that having to retake an A-Level would automatically weaken my application, but when I spoke to the admissions tutors at the college I was applying to, they were very relaxed about it and said that it wouldn't matter at all. I got in.

Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Gwil
You should probably contact the admissions tutors at a few different colleges and ask them for their advice. It won't necessarily disadvantage your application to take an extra year. Personally, I applied to Oxford with achieved A*A*B, while preparing to resit the subject I got a B in. Before applying I had heard lots of rumours (not helped by online forums) that having to retake an A-Level would automatically weaken my application, but when I spoke to the admissions tutors at the college I was applying to, they were very relaxed about it and said that it wouldn't matter at all. I got in.

Good luck!

Hi, would I be able to contact you privately, I’m in a similar position :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending