The Student Room Group

Thinking about dropping out of Uni. Am I to behind.

Do you think I should drop out of Uni. I am Currently a first year student studying Media and French. I have got so behind. Hardly go to lectures and have missed assignment's. The worst is French. I've only been to two lessons this term and can not understand it. This lessons are hell. The teacher makes us speak out loud. I am not an anxious person but the though of going makes me feel Ill. I do not know what to do.I have got multiple emails saying I have to go. I enjoy living alone and having that freedom however every other aspect of uni I do not enjoy. I I drop out I will feel like a massive disappointment. I have already took a gay year and I am now 20. I feel like I will be so behind. I currently am looking up apprentices, I feel like moving back home will be a massive step backwards. Any Advice ?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Do you think I should drop out of Uni. I am Currently a first year student studying Media and French. I have got so behind. Hardly go to lectures and have missed assignment's. The worst is French. I've only been to two lessons this term and can not understand it. This lessons are hell. The teacher makes us speak out loud. I am not an anxious person but the though of going makes me feel Ill. I do not know what to do.I have got multiple emails saying I have to go. I enjoy living alone and having that freedom however every other aspect of uni I do not enjoy. I I drop out I will feel like a massive disappointment. I have already took a gay year and I am now 20. I feel like I will be so behind. I currently am looking up apprentices, I feel like moving back home will be a massive step backwards. Any Advice ?
Hi there,

Firstly, choosing to leave university does not make you a disappointment. It might feel tough and conflicting, but if you do make this decision, you're doing it to better yourself and to help your wellbeing.

But, leaving uni may not be the answer too, it's a big decision to consider to I understand how difficult it may be. As you're in your first year, I think there's still time to recover from missing your sessions, but this will all depend on how you are with managing your time. There is nothing wring with reaching out to your tutors to see if they can assist in you catching up, and they can probably give you the most honest answer as to whether you will be able to catch up at this point in the year.

With your French sessions, I completely understand the fear of speaking/ interacting in class. I used to study German for A Level and used to feel super anxious before the sessions. This was usually from fearing getting it wrong and sounding silly - which was only goin got go away if I kept practicing and attending the sessions. Gradually, the anxious feeling started to ease. It never completely went away, but it definitely eased the better I became, so maybe you need to bite the bullet and feel awkward to start with so you can build up your confidence. I can also reassure you that no one is bothered how you sound or if you get things wring, they're probably too focused on themselves to notice.

No matter your decision, whatever you choose will be the best thing for you. Keep looking at apprenticeship options too. If you do plan to leave uni, it would be great to have an idea of where you'd like to go next so you still feel in control and on track with your decisions. Try not to compare your situation to friends and classmates as you're all on different paths - as cringey as it may sound!

Best of luck with whatever you decide. :smile:
Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending