The Student Room Group

HELP! Strongly considering dropping out of uni.

I am a first year studying BSc Management. I have always been very capable academically, despite being homeschooled for the majority of my secondary education. I achieved the top grade of D*D*D* in my Level 3 Business BTEC. My intelligence has always been the thing that gives me any self worth.

I have never really known what I want to do with my life, so chose business as I knew it had a good salary and opened lots of doors. I previously studied animal care as I love it and the topic of sustainability. But I always knew there weren't many career options with this path and am quite worried about my future prospects.

But now with my chosen degree, everything has come to a massive holt. I hate the large class sizes (350 people on the course), the limited amount of contact hours, and almost all of the lectures I've been to. Only some of it has had any interest to me.

This isn't helped by the fact that I have to commute which takes an hour and a half each way.

I've looked at future modules and only one or two interest me (only three limited electives for the whole degree).

Originally I kept up with the work and reading, but now I'm massively behind as I have no interest and therefore motivation to study. This really isn't like me. (I have autism and suspected dyslexia so I really need to care about something to get that motivation).

My heart is really not in it despite doing excellently with my grades so far. So now I'm considering other options. I could 'stick it out'; start the first year of an environmental course next year; or leave to do an apprenticeship or work.

I was originally interested in degree apprenticeships but sort of ran out of time to do the lengthy applications for these while I was dealing with college exams and UCAS.

It would really be a shame if I had to leave as I have some great friends there, love the campus, and I have some great scholarships and a student outreach ambassador job that I adore.

Now I am just very uncertain about my future, especially as I have to consider the financial implications of staying on for the second term of a course I dislike. I don't come from a very well off family so this is always on my mind. I've looked up how to withdraw every few weeks since starting, despite some good days.

I am also already a year behind people my age due to homeschooling, so falling further behind in life makes me feel ill.

I just feel very lost and anxious, and would love some advice. I'm the first in my family to go to uni so none of them can really relate despite their best efforts. I don't want to end up in a dead-end job on minimum wage for the rest of my life.

P.S. I've spoken with my disability mentor and the support team for my department and they say I probably need something more practical, as the course is unlikely to change. I know some people say they love it after the first term but I can't see that happening for me, though I enjoy seeing my friends and being on campus.

Any advice or personal experiences much appreciated.
Does the university offer any courses that you think would be a better fit for you?
Have you looked into getting accommodation closer to campus to cut out the commute?

It sounds like the university is a good choice for you - it’s just a case of switching to a course that interests you more and ideally getting rid of the strain of commuting (you can still go home every week if you want to but don’t have to do the long trip every day).
Original post by ErinS42
I am a first year studying BSc Management. I have always been very capable academically, despite being homeschooled for the majority of my secondary education. I achieved the top grade of D*D*D* in my Level 3 Business BTEC. My intelligence has always been the thing that gives me any self worth.

I have never really known what I want to do with my life, so chose business as I knew it had a good salary and opened lots of doors. I previously studied animal care as I love it and the topic of sustainability. But I always knew there weren't many career options with this path and am quite worried about my future prospects.

But now with my chosen degree, everything has come to a massive holt. I hate the large class sizes (350 people on the course), the limited amount of contact hours, and almost all of the lectures I've been to. Only some of it has had any interest to me.

This isn't helped by the fact that I have to commute which takes an hour and a half each way.

I've looked at future modules and only one or two interest me (only three limited electives for the whole degree).

Originally I kept up with the work and reading, but now I'm massively behind as I have no interest and therefore motivation to study. This really isn't like me. (I have autism and suspected dyslexia so I really need to care about something to get that motivation).

My heart is really not in it despite doing excellently with my grades so far. So now I'm considering other options. I could 'stick it out'; start the first year of an environmental course next year; or leave to do an apprenticeship or work.

I was originally interested in degree apprenticeships but sort of ran out of time to do the lengthy applications for these while I was dealing with college exams and UCAS.

It would really be a shame if I had to leave as I have some great friends there, love the campus, and I have some great scholarships and a student outreach ambassador job that I adore.

Now I am just very uncertain about my future, especially as I have to consider the financial implications of staying on for the second term of a course I dislike. I don't come from a very well off family so this is always on my mind. I've looked up how to withdraw every few weeks since starting, despite some good days.

I am also already a year behind people my age due to homeschooling, so falling further behind in life makes me feel ill.

I just feel very lost and anxious, and would love some advice. I'm the first in my family to go to uni so none of them can really relate despite their best efforts. I don't want to end up in a dead-end job on minimum wage for the rest of my life.

P.S. I've spoken with my disability mentor and the support team for my department and they say I probably need something more practical, as the course is unlikely to change. I know some people say they love it after the first term but I can't see that happening for me, though I enjoy seeing my friends and being on campus.

Any advice or personal experiences much appreciated.

@ErinS42

It's really important that you study something that you enjoy. I know that financial concerns can be a big worry, but even if you do well on a course that you don't enjoy, after university either you have to find something else to do because you don't want to continue with that subject, or you continue with that subject and potentially end up in a job that pays well but which you can't stand!

So I don't think you should be afraid to consider other options, even if you like how people react when you say what course you are studying or it makes you feel that they respect you more. Placing your intelligence with your self-worth can mean that you are constantly looking for people to think that you're clever or that you feel under pressure to show people how clever you are or that you look down on people because you reason that they are not clever if they are studying this, this, or this...

People can be clever in many different ways, and you need to be able to think in a specific way depending on what you are studying e.g. being able to analyse, think logically, be creative or problem-solve.

I think you should study a subject you're good at, but also a subject you are interested in.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are not enjoying your course.

I would advise you to not force yourself and not study a course you are clearly not enjoying. However, it would be a shame to leave the friends you have made so far, so I would recommend what the others said which is switching to a different course (universities offer MULTIPLE diverse courses that might interest you).

Additionally, don't be worried about "fallling further behind in life" as remember you are still so young and there is always time to go back to university. For example, at LSBU, over 50% of our students are over the age of 25.

Therefore, remember to prioritise your well-being. University can wait.

I hope I managed ot help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending