The Student Room Group

Considering on Taking a gap year

I've already applied to University for Chemistry in hopes of thinking everything would go pretty smooth or at least better than my past experiences.

But I feel as though, I want to reevaluate my self and what I want in life. Like as though I need a reboot. I have negative emotions which need to be fixed before I think about going to university i.e (insecurity, neuroticism)

Because in terms of career I do want stability and good progression in terms of salary, which I understand would differ but mainly having the security i had doubts on my choice. Although I'd like to study the theory I just feel like what I applied for may not be impressive in the graduate market especially if I'm considering finance/banking as an option. Which then brought chemical engineering to my attention so since then I've just been having an existential crisis and though I'd just rather take a year out overall and possible try to contact the unis to defer my entry or something.

For my gap year, I want to volunteer in around education or languages in a foreign country. And would also like to move out and rent out whilst working part time.

Has anyone been through the similar kind of thing? And what would you lot recommend me to do?
Also, the fact that i'm Asian is going to raise some issues with my parents. I haven't told them that I'm going to take the gap year because they're going to just debate and think me as a failure. So any other person experienced this?
YES! Just go for it! I'm on my gap year atm; in Costa Rica for 3 months teaching environmental science and so far it's been AMAZINGGGG!! :happy2::happy2:

This is a great time to just sort everything out. You will deserve it! Not only will you need a break from finishing exams but also a break from like 13 years of education in general.

I'm Asian myself so yes, I do know how you feel. My parents were somewhat against the idea of a gap year; they'd argue that education should have no breaks.

But you kinda just have to go with what you want. You need to convince them that you have a plan. That there is a good reason why you want to take a gap year; that you need this break for your mental health; to sort out what you want in life; that you know what you're doing in that year.
I personally think that this is crucial.

Also, if they really want you to go to uni then reassure them that you are definitely going to uni. I guess parents generally have a fear that you're going to go 'off the rails' and end up having a really bad job (like at a fast food restaurant or something) - they just want the best for you.

It took me ages to convince them to the point that they eventually had to let me do the gap year because I had already bought my plane tickets.

What I love about my parents is that they trust me and basically want me to be happy - even if they don't like the idea themselves.
And the gap year is making me happy - so they're happy

If all else fail and you still want to take a year out, then f*** 'em and just go. Live for yourself. :colonhash:
What are you going to achieve from listening to your parents all the time?
Reply 3
I'm also on my gap year now, au pairing in Bilbao for 6 months. It was the best decision i've made but i'm still set on going to University in September. Obviously everyone's gap year experience is different and a lot of people will regret it, but i'm so glad I decided to do it.
If you want to volunteer in education you could always join a program to earn a TEFL qualification. Look at programmes like CAPS or Meddeas or on websites such as i-to-i.
However I do recommend working and earning some money first. I spent July-December 2017 working and saving so that January-June 2018 I could travel. You have to be practical and save if you want to do a lot of things.
Another thing you could do is tutor in English schools. Obviously this isn't an option to travel but it looks great on your CV and you could always quit when you wanted to begin travelling. Check out the website yipiyap if you're interested.

I spent about 6 months researching gap year opportunities so I have a lot of websites and info about it:biggrin:
Taking a gap year can provide you a better understanding of what you want to pursue in the future. You're young, now is the time to go and find yourself! Traveling can provide you confidence and self-awareness. Don't worry about "falling behind" your peers because, in a few years, it won't seem like a big deal at all.
Original post by travelersam85
Taking a gap year can provide you a better understanding of what you want to pursue in the future. You're young, now is the time to go and find yourself! Traveling can provide you confidence and self-awareness. Don't worry about "falling behind" your peers because, in a few years, it won't seem like a big deal at all.

To be fair, I don't even care much about falling behind my peers. My main issue will be my parents. They will be very hard to convince I mean i'm even considering on moving out with a mate and having to rent out to just escape them.
Original post by MarshmallowStars
YES! Just go for it! I'm on my gap year atm; in Costa Rica for 3 months teaching environmental science and so far it's been AMAZINGGGG!! :happy2::happy2:

This is a great time to just sort everything out. You will deserve it! Not only will you need a break from finishing exams but also a break from like 13 years of education in general.

I'm Asian myself so yes, I do know how you feel. My parents were somewhat against the idea of a gap year; they'd argue that education should have no breaks.

But you kinda just have to go with what you want. You need to convince them that you have a plan. That there is a good reason why you want to take a gap year; that you need this break for your mental health; to sort out what you want in life; that you know what you're doing in that year.
I personally think that this is crucial.

Also, if they really want you to go to uni then reassure them that you are definitely going to uni. I guess parents generally have a fear that you're going to go 'off the rails' and end up having a really bad job (like at a fast food restaurant or something) - they just want the best for you.

It took me ages to convince them to the point that they eventually had to let me do the gap year because I had already bought my plane tickets.

What I love about my parents is that they trust me and basically want me to be happy - even if they don't like the idea themselves.
And the gap year is making me happy - so they're happy

If all else fail and you still want to take a year out, then f*** 'em and just go. Live for yourself. :colonhash:
What are you going to achieve from listening to your parents all the time?

I think the amount of reassuring hasn't helped. They just want to go to uni straight and come out and get a job. I mean, I am just thinking of moving out with my friends. I mean I've already had several arguments.
Original post by J-ved
I think the amount of reassuring hasn't helped. They just want to go to uni straight and come out and get a job. I mean, I am just thinking of moving out with my friends. I mean I've already had several arguments.

Have you tried asking WHY they want you to go straight into uni instead of taking a gap year?
Have you tried asking WHY they want you to go straight into uni instead of taking a gap year?

It’s because they see it as a loss of year etc and expect me to be earning straight away. I think also my cousin who dropped out of uni are thinking of me being like that...
Original post by J-ved
It’s because they see it as a loss of year etc and expect me to be earning straight away. I think also my cousin who dropped out of uni are thinking of me being like that...

Ahhh...same goes for my parents and loads of other Filipino parents tbh...they gave me long as lectures about how they think I would end up with a minimum paid job, then think 'hey I'm earning money so I don't need to go to uni' and so I've just wasted my life away.

Did your cousin take a gap year and then went to uni before dropping out?

And tbh, with the debt of £9250+ per year of uni, you will not be earning money staright away!

At the end of the day, YOU need to decide whether you want to take a gap year; a parents approval will be a blessing but I believe they will eventually support you :smile:
I took a gap year and did a very similar thing to what u wanna do. Volunteered as a counsellor, got a full time job, saved up and am now in my first year of uni. Less skint, more mature, have a better idea of what I wanna get out of uni and WAY less stressed. Most rewarding year of my life. I’d tell anyone to just go for it ✌️✌️
Ahhh...same goes for my parents and loads of other Filipino parents tbh...they gave me long as lectures about how they think I would end up with a minimum paid job, then think 'hey I'm earning money so I don't need to go to uni' and so I've just wasted my life away.

Did your cousin take a gap year and then went to uni before dropping out?

And tbh, with the debt of £9250+ per year of uni, you will not be earning money staright away!

At the end of the day, YOU need to decide whether you want to take a gap year; a parents approval will be a blessing but I believe they will eventually support you :smile:

My cousin took a gap year within the first year because he got appendicitis and then once he started to catch up in second year he started to hate it and everything and then dropped out. Which I don't plan on doing. It's like they don't understand how my choice is degree is going to be the main thing to think about because if i went head on then i probably would end up like my cousin.

I think they will support me only if I do it and show it to them. Other than that, they're not really perceptive.
Original post by Fizzy98
I took a gap year and did a very similar thing to what u wanna do. Volunteered as a counsellor, got a full time job, saved up and am now in my first year of uni. Less skint, more mature, have a better idea of what I wanna get out of uni and WAY less stressed. Most rewarding year of my life. I’d tell anyone to just go for it ✌️✌️

Thanks! I'm wanting to learn some things I didn't get time to do like a language try some musical instruments etc
Original post by J-ved
My cousin took a gap year within the first year because he got appendicitis and then once he started to catch up in second year he started to hate it and everything and then dropped out. Which I don't plan on doing. It's like they don't understand how my choice is degree is going to be the main thing to think about because if i went head on then i probably would end up like my cousin.

I think they will support me only if I do it and show it to them. Other than that, they're not really perceptive.

Exactly! You kinda have to force your way through...be the example for the rest of your family :smile:

But most of all, do it for yourself!!
Original post by J-ved
Thanks! I'm wanting to learn some things I didn't get time to do like a language try some musical instruments etc

Yesss exactly what I did, I learnt how to see my own clothes (because I always thought people who did that were so cool) and did more art hahaha. You will have a blast, uni can wait a year :smile:
Re your comment about yipiyap; ordinarily they do like their Tutors to work for them for the full eleven months (an academic year) BUT they do offer flexibility on this to those individuals who are keen to incorporate travel into their gap year.

This would need to be formally arranged with them at the start of your year as opposed to just ‘quitting’ etc. part way through.

Hope that clarifies things for you!
Original post by lsxb
I'm also on my gap year now, au pairing in Bilbao for 6 months. It was the best decision i've made but i'm still set on going to University in September. Obviously everyone's gap year experience is different and a lot of people will regret it, but i'm so glad I decided to do it.
If you want to volunteer in education you could always join a program to earn a TEFL qualification. Look at programmes like CAPS or Meddeas or on websites such as i-to-i.
However I do recommend working and earning some money first. I spent July-December 2017 working and saving so that January-June 2018 I could travel. You have to be practical and save if you want to do a lot of things.
Another thing you could do is tutor in English schools. Obviously this isn't an option to travel but it looks great on your CV and you could always quit when you wanted to begin travelling. Check out the website yipiyap if you're interested.

I spent about 6 months researching gap year opportunities so I have a lot of websites and info about it:biggrin:
Reply 16
I worked at Yipiyap over my gap year and I'm glad I worked there for the full year. It really helped me to focus on keeping a routine and also helped me to develop important skills for my future career.
Original post by JSC08
I worked at Yipiyap over my gap year and I'm glad I worked there for the full year. It really helped me to focus on keeping a routine and also helped me to develop important skills for my future career.
Hi I'm a year 13 thinking about applying to yipiyap. Can you tell me how it was like to work there? what was your pay like and the interview process?
Original post by crazy_diamond
Hi I'm a year 13 thinking about applying to yipiyap. Can you tell me how it was like to work there? what was your pay like and the interview process?
Hi! Lovely to hear that you're thinking about applying to Yipiyap! I worked there as a gap year tutor in a primary school and loved it! Challenging and rewarding, and also gives you time to decide what uni course/job afterwards you might like to do. For interviews, after you apply you'll get offered a first interview, which is more of an informal chat over zoom about why you'd like to tutor then a more in depth second interview. If you're successful in both of these, you'll get offered a contract. It might be worth doing as you're not committed to anything until you want to sign a contract confirming you want to work there :smile: always worth giving yourself options!

Quick Reply

Latest