The Student Room Group

a level maths physics art and photography

is maths, physics, photography and art a level too much?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m guessing you’ve started Y12? all A-levels are a lot - it really depends on you, and if you have good time management and stay on top of work. besides you can always start out with four and drop one that you aren’t enjoying / is getting too difficult
Reply 2
Original post by m184
I’m guessing you’ve started Y12? all A-levels are a lot - it really depends on you, and if you have good time management and stay on top of work. besides you can always start out with four and drop one that you aren’t enjoying / is getting too difficult

Not yet, but i’m choosing my options soon. Id like to do these 4 but i’m worried they will be too much all together
Original post by daveeades

Yes, it's definitely too much work (art is renowned as a huge consumer of time and resources). It's also a bit of an odd collection of A levels - photography is a 'leisure A level' and not an academic choice. What is it that you want to do at university - even an area if you've not settled on an actual degree?

I am doing maths, FM, Physics and Art for A Level
So fairly similar, but I think it depends on what you feel and worst comes to worst, if it gets to much you can drop one :smile:
Pick one of Photography or Art - not both.
Reply 6
Original post by MayaVellichor
I am doing maths, FM, Physics and Art for A Level
So fairly similar, but I think it depends on what you feel and worst comes to worst, if it gets to much you can drop one :smile:

how are you finding it?
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Pick one of Photography or Art - not both.

oh why not? i thought they would work well together?
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, it's definitely too much work (art is renowned as a huge consumer of time and resources). It's also a bit of an odd collection of A levels - photography is a 'leisure A level' and not an academic choice. What is it that you want to do at university - even an area if you've not settled on an actual degree?

no idea- just choosing the subjects i enjoy. i have to choose 4 anyway but i was wondering if these 4 will be too heavy together and if i’m better doing something else
oh why not? i thought they would work well together?

No one needs 4 A levels and there is obvious overlap between those two subjects.

Focus on getting 3 good grades - AAA is always going to look better than ABBB.
Reply 10
i have to choose 4 anyway but i was wondering if these 4 will be too heavy together and if i’m better doing something else

does your school require you to pick 4? and are there any other a levels they offer that you would consider?
Reply 11
Original post by m184
does your school require you to pick 4? and are there any other a levels they offer that you would consider?

4 a levels or 3 and an EPQ
Reply 12
Original post by McGinger
No one needs 4 A levels and there is obvious overlap between those two subjects.

Focus on getting 3 good grades - AAA is always going to look better than ABBB.

which one should i drop? and what should i do instead? i need 4 alevels or 3 and an EPQ?
how are you finding it?

Its a lot of work, but I am definitely enjoying it
Art is intense, but I have managed to sort out a system with my art teachers where they give me a list of all the homework they will set for the project so I can get ahead if I have a calmer week and then won't be overwhelmed if I gets heavier with work from other subjects
Reply 14
4 a levels or 3 and an EPQ

an EPQ is a LOT of work. then again, depends - if you take 4 and you’re planning to drop one maybe it would be better to take an EPQ because you at least get some tangible benefit out of it (half an A level, could get some lowered offers depending on the uni you apply to) and you can base it on anything you’re interested in. but obviously it’s hard to say if you would drop or not since you haven’t started the courses

As for maths and physics, I can't talk. But art and photography are heavily coursework based (at least what I've done of it). It is a lot, and it's quite independent, for example, we get set a shoot, a shoot evaluation, eight edits and analysis every week. My friend does art and photography, and she struggles a little to be honest, but if you can manage your time well- and be prepared to do so, while giving up free time- I'd say the art and photography can be okay.
Reply 16
Its a lot of work, but I am definitely enjoying it
Art is intense, but I have managed to sort out a system with my art teachers where they give me a list of all the homework they will set for the project so I can get ahead if I have a calmer week and then won't be overwhelmed if I gets heavier with work from other subjects

How much time do you spend on art a week? also how much of a jump was maths and physics from gcse?
How much time do you spend on art a week? also how much of a jump was maths and physics from gcse?

I spend all my frees in the art department so that's 200 mins and I have this rule that if I am watching TV or YouTube I have to be also doing art so not sure how much that is :smile:
I did further maths gcse so maths isn't too bad and I am finding physics alright, but I am being taught by a biology teacher who is kinda learning on the job
I have been trying to support my class as much as possible because some students don't do maths so have to rely solely on the physics teacher

Heya!
Unis only require 3 a-levels, not all 4 :h: A*A*A* looks better than AABB after all + I had friends who did art and it's very time and resource-consuming. What are you thinking of doing at uni in the future? Perhaps consider dropping photography and doing it as an extracurricular instead? My friend really liked photography so she did it as a hobby (and a part-time job). Perhaps you could do something similar if it helps?

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 19
I spend all my frees in the art department so that's 200 mins and I have this rule that if I am watching TV or YouTube I have to be also doing art so not sure how much that is :smile:
I did further maths gcse so maths isn't too bad and I am finding physics alright, but I am being taught by a biology teacher who is kinda learning on the job
I have been trying to support my class as much as possible because some students don't do maths so have to rely solely on the physics teacher

i’m also doing further maths gcse. What did you get in it and how did you revise? Also what did you get in your gcses for maths art and physics? Sorry to be nosy but i’m trying to work out where i am 😅

Quick Reply

Latest