The Student Room Group

SFE funding for extra year

Hi
I completed a foundation degree in Business Management and am now completing a BA top degree, I finish in May 2023, so in total it will be three years of study, I have received a maintenance loan and tuition fees to cover tuition fees and cost of living for the 3 years. I would like to study for a further year, would I be eligible for funding for another undergraduate top-up in another subject? Or should I do a Masters or other qualification? Will I get funding for a part-time study?
I am a lone parent and not sure what route to take as I really would like to do 1 more year of studying.
Thank you
(edited 3 months ago)
What would you be studying in your additional year? It sounds like you expect to complete your BA (Hons) in May.
Original post by Mia Ahern
Hi
I completed a foundation degree in Business Management and am now completing a BA top degree, I finish in May 2023, so in total it will be three years of study, I have received a maintenance loan and tuition fees to cover tuition fees and cost of living for the 3 years. I would like to study for a further year, would I be eligible for funding for another undergraduate top-up in another subject? Or should I do a Masters or other qualification? Will I get funding for a part-time study?
I am a lone parent and not sure what route to take as I really would like to do 1 more year of studying.
Thank you

Hi there,

Can you confirm if you will obtain your degree in May? What is the top-up course you're looking to study? Thanks, Jason
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Can you confirm if you will obtain your degree in May? What is the top-up course you're looking to study? Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason
My apologies in the error of my initial post, I will finish my BA (HONS) top up in Business stratergy/Enterprise Management this May 2024. I am really interested in HR. Is it possible for me to do another top up and apply for tuition and maintenance loan? Or should I do a postgraduate in HR part-time, which will mean having to look for a job as the post graduate loan would not cover my rent etc as I would use it for tuition fees.
My favourable route would be to study in September 2024 doing a top up if possible.

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
What would you be studying in your additional year? It sounds like you expect to complete your BA (Hons) in May.

I would like to do HR
I finish my Top in Business in May 2024
I would like to do HR
I finish my Top in Business in May 2024

Have you spoken to your universities? It's not normally possible to transfer credit from one BA (Hons) degree to another if you were awarded the degree.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

Replied below
Thanks
Hi Jason
My apologies in the error of my initial post, I will finish my BA (HONS) top up in Business stratergy/Enterprise Management this May 2024. I am really interested in HR. Is it possible for me to do another top up and apply for tuition and maintenance loan? Or should I do a postgraduate in HR part-time, which will mean having to look for a job as the post graduate loan would not cover my rent etc as I would use it for tuition fees.
My favourable route would be to study in September 2024 doing a top up if possible.

Thanks

Hi there,

If you've already gained a qualification then you wouldn't be eligible for a top up unless it was an exception course. Regarding the masters degree, as long as you've not studied (or started) a postgraduate degree previously then you would be eligible to apply for this. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Okay, I haven't applied to a graduate or Masters course yet, I have seen course at Birkbeck University, I am interested in but concerned about funding, it says on the government website I would not able to get a maintenance loan, would I be entitled to UC if I study full-time or do I study part-time? I'm aware I can get a post graduate loan but it would not cover my Iiving costs.
I'm a bit lost.
Thanks
PS
Could I get funding if go back to college and complete a level 5 course in HR?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to your universities? It's not normally possible to transfer credit from one BA (Hons) degree to another if you were awarded the degree.

I was thinking I could use the gift year to study for a different course in one year, but it doesn't look like that's possible.
Okay, I haven't applied to a graduate or Masters course yet, I have seen course at Birkbeck University, I am interested in but concerned about funding, it says on the government website I would be able to get a maintenance loan, would I be entitled to UC if I study full-time or do I study part-time? I'm aware I can get a post graduate loan but it would not cover my Iiving costs.
I'm a bit lost.
Thanks

For Postgraduate masters courses we don't offer a maintenance loan or tuition fees. It's a 'Postgraduate loan' and this is paid to the student directly. The student would then use the funds to pay towards their fees or for their living costs. Further information can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/postgraduate/postgraduate-masters-loan. Thanks, Jason
Reply 11
For Postgraduate masters courses we don't offer a maintenance loan or tuition fees. It's a 'Postgraduate loan' and this is paid to the student directly. The student would then use the funds to pay towards their fees or for their living costs. Further information can be found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/student-finance/postgraduate/postgraduate-masters-loan. Thanks, Jason

Yes I have seen that information.
Would I be eligible for funding if I go back to college and do a level 5 in HR?

Hi there, not if you already hold a qualification. Unless a student studies an exception course then they wouldn't be eligible for further funding at the same level. Thanks, Jason
Reply 13
Hi there, not if you already hold a qualification. Unless a student studies an exception course then they wouldn't be eligible for further funding at the same level. Thanks, Jason

Thanks
Thanks

You're welcome. Thanks, Jason
I was thinking I could use the gift year to study for a different course in one year, but it doesn't look like that's possible.

Even if funding was available it's not something that is permitted by most university regulations. Degrees aren't something you can just swap credits and module around and get a new one - credit transfer isn't normally accepted if you already hold a qualification at that level.

If you have a degree in business then it shouldn't be necessary to go back to L5 to study HR - most HR masters degrees will happily take students from a business degree.

Have a look for CIPD accredited Masters degrees - https://findacentre.cipd.org/search?qualificationType=accredited&qualification=pHR&typeOfStudy=&country=&searchTownCountry=&lat=&lng=&city2= you shouldn't have any problem finding something that suits you

Are you a Student CIPD member at the moment? If not it might be worth talking to them about membership as they would be the best source of careers advice to get into HR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending