The Student Room Group

should i take history a-level?

heyy, i'm in year 11 and have already been accepted to do history a-level at some sixth forms but recently i've been struggling with academics due to mental health and general gcse pressure since exams are so soon, and i'm starting to wonder if i can do this at an a-level. right now, i'm getting a 4 in history and i'm predicted a 5. as a career, i want to become a translator for french/english. what i'm wondering is if history is right for me coming from the experience of other ppl who have been/are going through the course
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by poloslaiskan
heyy, i'm in year 11 and have already been accepted to do history a-level at some sixth forms but recently i've been struggling with academics due to mental health and general gcse pressure since exams are so soon, and i'm starting to wonder if i can do this at an a-level. right now, i'm getting a 4 in history and i'm predicted a 5. as a career, i want to become a translator for french/english. what i'm wondering is if history is right for me coming from the experience of other ppl who have been/are going through the course

hi!! i’m doing it rn - it is LOTS of work but very interesting. often performance at gcse isn’t a great indicator at a level bc it’s a lot more about your commitment than ‘skill’ at this point - coursework for example! not sure how history would be helpful for that degree unless you’re considering how translation has been helpful through widening access to history and changing historical events? have you considered english language or sociology instead? if you’ve got a specific question about the course lmk xxx
Reply 3
Hi!! I was in a similar position to you last year struggling a lot mentally during GCSEs, but I came out with some really good grades and I'm now in year 12 getting As in history and hoping to apply for a history degree in October!! I also do Spanish and English literature so if you have any questions about a language or english please ask!!

What i would say about history is that the course is content heavy, and catching up on missed work (i miss lessons sometimes because of my anxiety) can be difficult, but i've got some super understanding teachers who help me out and let me leave lessons when i need to, etc. who are angels!! personally i find the exam technique fairly simple and i really look forward to my lessons, so i would defo recommend.

My advice would be go for it - you can ALWAYS switch or drop the course if it isn't for you, but don't let your mental health stop you from doing what you enjoy. good luck :smile:)
Original post by moo224
Hi!! I was in a similar position to you last year struggling a lot mentally during GCSEs, but I came out with some really good grades and I'm now in year 12 getting As in history and hoping to apply for a history degree in October!! I also do Spanish and English literature so if you have any questions about a language or english please ask!!
What i would say about history is that the course is content heavy, and catching up on missed work (i miss lessons sometimes because of my anxiety) can be difficult, but i've got some super understanding teachers who help me out and let me leave lessons when i need to, etc. who are angels!! personally i find the exam technique fairly simple and i really look forward to my lessons, so i would defo recommend.
My advice would be go for it - you can ALWAYS switch or drop the course if it isn't for you, but don't let your mental health stop you from doing what you enjoy. good luck :smile:)
thank you so much for the advice!! ill probs take u up on the offer for questions bc i was considering eng lit but i didnt think id enjoy it lmaooo
Original post by elmiffy
hi!! i’m doing it rn - it is LOTS of work but very interesting. often performance at gcse isn’t a great indicator at a level bc it’s a lot more about your commitment than ‘skill’ at this point - coursework for example! not sure how history would be helpful for that degree unless you’re considering how translation has been helpful through widening access to history and changing historical events? have you considered english language or sociology instead? if you’ve got a specific question about the course lmk xxx
yeah, i made this choice when i wanted to do law and heard that russel group unis liked facilitating subjects, so thats why i chose history hahahahahah, thanks so much! <3
Reply 6
thank you so much for the advice!! ill probs take u up on the offer for questions bc i was considering eng lit but i didnt think id enjoy it lmaooo
absolutely - ask away!! i LOVE english, but i think that's partly due to my teachers and the books we're studying. The exam skill is defo a jump from GCSE but i think that's the case with any essay subject for A-Level, so don't let that put you off!

ask me anything, and if you need any help with your GCSEs in history or english then I'm more than happy to help out there too!! x

Quick Reply

Latest