The Student Room Group

Any students got into uni with qualifications unrelated to their chosen degree?

I was wondering if there was any students out there (normal age range or mature) that have got into their chosen degree courses with qualifications (Level 3 diplomas) that are unrelated to their course?

This is just for reassurance, as basically I’ve only been out of college education 2 years, my initial plan was to do an Access to HE diploma, but then I was told by a support team member from the university I want to apply to. That there’s a strong possibility that I could get onto the history degree I want to take, as I have 144 UCAS points with my level 3 extended diploma I studied at college in animal management.

They also reassured me they’re renowned for taking all sorts of level 3 diplomas and alternative qualifications for entry onto degree courses. And they have encouraged me to make an application.

I know that there’s many mature students got onto their degree courses with alternative qualifications that aren’t usually on the UCAS tables or calculator. However, mine is on both the website and on the calculator. So I’m summising I should be fine to apply with my level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and if I have a good enough personal statement and show how much I really want to be on the history course. I should have a good chance.

Also, I’m hoping if I don’t get accepted for the normal BA hons Degree route I’ll be given an offer for the intergrated foundation year.

During my application would it be best to apply to both BA hons and the integrated foundation year? Or is the foundation year, normally offered by the university themselves? If you have just missed out on the chance to get onto the Normal BA hons. But personally, I’m just wanting to apply for the normal history BA (hons) degree. As I only need 120 UCAS points to get the on course, and at least 4 A-C grades in my GCSE’s. Of which I have already.

So my main query is is there anyone out there that has got onto a course with a college diploma that is seemingly unrelated? But you have the correct amount of UCAS points to get on.

Again, I have been told by the actual admissions team of the university, that I’m welcome to apply for the history degree with what I already have and that I definitely do have 144 UCAS points from my diploma already.
Original post by Musicgirl97
I was wondering if there was any students out there (normal age range or mature) that have got into their chosen degree courses with qualifications (Level 3 diplomas) that are unrelated to their course?

This is just for reassurance, as basically I’ve only been out of college education 2 years, my initial plan was to do an Access to HE diploma, but then I was told by a support team member from the university I want to apply to. That there’s a strong possibility that I could get onto the history degree I want to take, as I have 144 UCAS points with my level 3 extended diploma I studied at college in animal management.

They also reassured me they’re renowned for taking all sorts of level 3 diplomas and alternative qualifications for entry onto degree courses. And they have encouraged me to make an application.

I know that there’s many mature students got onto their degree courses with alternative qualifications that aren’t usually on the UCAS tables or calculator. However, mine is on both the website and on the calculator. So I’m summising I should be fine to apply with my level 3 extended diploma in animal management, and if I have a good enough personal statement and show how much I really want to be on the history course. I should have a good chance.

Also, I’m hoping if I don’t get accepted for the normal BA hons Degree route I’ll be given an offer for the intergrated foundation year.

During my application would it be best to apply to both BA hons and the integrated foundation year? Or is the foundation year, normally offered by the university themselves? If you have just missed out on the chance to get onto the Normal BA hons. But personally, I’m just wanting to apply for the normal history BA (hons) degree. As I only need 120 UCAS points to get the on course, and at least 4 A-C grades in my GCSE’s. Of which I have already.

So my main query is is there anyone out there that has got onto a course with a college diploma that is seemingly unrelated? But you have the correct amount of UCAS points to get on.

Again, I have been told by the actual admissions team of the university, that I’m welcome to apply for the history degree with what I already have and that I definitely do have 144 UCAS points from my diploma already.

Strange move over to history.
It depends on the uni.
Higher up the food chain I think they wouldnt take you.
Lower down the food chain they are more flexible and want your money imo.

If i were in that position I would:

1. Take a gap and do A level History to get used to it.
2. Take a foundation at a better uni and learn my essay skills there.
3. Up to you if you fancy your chances and think you can easily adapt plus your choice is the best or most suitable History course for you.
Most other people will have done an essay subject including history. Be ready for essays and large volume.
Original post by Musicgirl97

Hey I also have previous animal management qualifications but I have been looking at options on how to get onto a criminology degree. did you end up doing the access course or were you accepted into uni with your previous qualifications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending