The Student Room Group

york vs warwick for psychology bsc undergrad

I'm really struggling between picking york or warwick university as my firm uni. I would either put warwick as my firm (i have contextual AAB) and then some other uni as my insurance or york as my insurance AAA and warwick as insurance.

Pros vs cons york
pros: nice modern accommodation, nice scenery, better in league table for psychology, good research prospects, could see myself here more than warwick, nice campus, i know someone who likes going there, more model options, option for fasttrack clinical doctorate w/ the uni

cons: accomodation i want is on the other campus to where my lectures would be (would have to take a bus), not sure if the town is too touristy / not party enough town, lower employability prospects to warwick, haven't seen place outside uni, further away from me than warwick

pros vs cons warwick
pros: modern campus, green, good employability prospects, closer to me, one campus

cons: havent seen the surrounding areas outside uni, more expensive accomodation as i'm wanting en suite, older/not as nice accomodation to york, idk anyone who has gone there

So if anyone can help / has experience with either uni that would be amazinggg

Scroll to see replies

im gonna go to york and my course department is on the other side of campus too. but its only a 15 minute walk and there's a free bus you can get on to go between them :smile:)
Reply 2
Original post by ReeceV123
im gonna go to york and my course department is on the other side of campus too. but its only a 15 minute walk and there's a free bus you can get on to go between them :smile:)
oh amazing ty! That’s good to hear! For what course?
Original post by amber.05!
oh amazing ty! That’s good to hear! For what course?
i'll be doing maths :biggrin:.
Reply 4
York's changed a lot since I was there. When I was there, about 90% of the accommodation hadn't been changed since the 1960s.
Whilst I actually adore the best examples of 1960s architecture, only Central Hall itself and the general landscaping of the colleges (but not the CLASP architecture itself) is a genuinely best example of it - in an unfriendly manner that makes it striking, I learned a valuable lesson. I didn't like living in it. Not when it's not broken up by older buildings. The new campus obviously looks different but it doesn't appear particularly architecturally striking to me - you could be anywhere. East Anglia? Surrey? and still doesn't have the benefit of being broken up with older buildings.
York itself is not a nightclub place really at all (it always has a token, interchangeable, one or two tucked away in random places but they're really just small bars) but it has bars and restaurants. The city centre is very removed from the university physically and culturally (York University historically has had a rep for being boring. Warwick too to a lesser extent) and if you hope to have a fulsome mix of an invigorating campus and wild nights out, you'll likely be disappointed on both fronts.
They are both 60s 'plate glass' campus universities and there can be drawbacks to that if the architecture doesn't inspire you and also socially because some older universities tend to be physically better placed, in themselves and in their cities, for general fun not related to sport.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Picnicl
York's changed a lot since I was there. When I was there, about 90% of the accommodation hadn't been changed since the 1960s.
Whilst I actually adore the best examples of 1960s architecture, only Central Hall itself and the general landscaping of the colleges (but not the CLASP architecture itself) is a genuinely best example of it - in an unfriendly manner that makes it striking, I learned a valuable lesson. I didn't like living in it. Not when it's not broken up by older buildings. The new campus obviously looks different but it doesn't appear particularly architecturally striking to me - you could be anywhere. East Anglia? Surrey? and still doesn't have the benefit of being broken up with older buildings.
York itself is not a nightclub place really at all (it always has a token, interchangeable, one or two tucked away in random places but they're really just small bars) but it has bars and restaurants. The city centre is very removed from the university physically and culturally (York University historically has had a rep for being boring. Warwick too to a lesser extent) and if you hope to have a fulsome mix of an invigorating campus and wild nights out, you'll likely be disappointed on both fronts.
bro is being paid by Warwick XD
Reply 6
bro is being paid by Warwick XD
I don't think I'd have said 'Warwick too' if that was the case. I'm just saying 60s origin campus universities have their own feel that don't suit everyone as a place to study and live, even fans of 60s public architecture.
Reply 7
i'll be doing maths :biggrin:.
oh nice!
Reply 8
Original post by Picnicl
They are both 60s 'plate glass' campus universities and there can be drawbacks to that if the architecture doesn't inspire you and also socially because some older universities tend to be physically better placed, in themselves and in their cities, for general fun not related to sport.
ohh okay ty that's very helpful!! I'm not a huge party person but like to have the option so that might work for me 🙃 Were the teaching / facilites / support good there when you went??
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 9
ohh okay ty that's very helpful!! I'm not a huge party person but like to have the option so that might work for me 🙃 Were the teaching / facilites / support good there when you went??
I was there over 20 years ago. It was very tired then, like being at a 1970s comprehensive school. I was doing Philosophy and it was completely unforgiving to me, trying to learn Logic in the 1st year made me feel like I was doing a Maths course. I left after a year. There was never any attempt to make sure students had made friends with others on their course either. York's certainly not alone in that but the campus is so isolated that it's disastrous to not better proactively look out for student welfare in such an environment. I had 2 friends but they did Maths and Physics whereas I'm more of an arts person. I'd been at Leicester University the year before (I passed the 1st year of an English degree but decided I wanted to do Philosophy which Leicester still doesn't teach). Leicester was so much more fun with a very interesting campus and far superior halls of residences.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Picnicl
I was there over 20 years ago. It was very tired then, like being at a 1970s comprehensive school. I was doing Philosophy and it was completely unforgiving to me, trying to learn Logic in the 1st year made me feel like I was doing a Maths course. I left after a year. There was never any attempt to make sure students had made friends with others on their course either. I had 2 friends but they did Maths and Physics whereas I'm more of an arts person. I'd been at Leicester University the year before (I passed the 1st year of an English degree but decided I wanted to do Philosophy which Leicester still doesn't teach). Leicester was so much more fun with a very interesting campus and far superior halls of residences.
ohh okay, so sorry u had a bad experience!! I might have a look at Leicester then as a possible clearing option because I’ve heard it’s quite good! Thank you!
Reply 11
I'm deciding on whether to put York as my firm or insurance too! Did you attend an offer holder day?
I went to one in Feb - the psychology department seemed good and the students I spoke to enjoy the course. I'm a bit hesitant to finalise my choices only because of the campus divide and I haven't been to the city centre itself.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Void11
I'm deciding on whether to put York as my firm or insurance too! Did you attend an offer holder day?
I went to one in Feb - the department seemed good and the students I spoke to enjoy the course. I'm a bit hesitant to finalise my choices only because of the campus divide and I haven't been to the city centre itself.
the city is amazing. super chill people too. btw the campus divide is literally only like 10-15 minutes walk xd. that's less than most city universities going from 1 building to the other
Reply 13
the city is amazing. super chill people too. btw the campus divide is literally only like 10-15 minutes walk xd. that's less than most city universities going from 1 building to the other
Nice, are you local? Is there a lot of diversity?
I'd be moving from 2 hrs away so not bad, I just don't know anyone else going there. Most of my friends are at/going to Lancaster which I know is York's rival lol
I think if you are into the clinical route York is a great idea! I study clinical psychology (not at York) and know how difficult it is to get onto the Dclin. The fact York offers a fast track is great!
Plus York is an absolutely beautiful city, has plenty to do at night! Lots of nice bars and some clubs, so you definitely wouldn’t be missing out on that side of it.
Reply 15
Original post by Void11
I went to one in Feb - the psychology department seemed good and the students I spoke to enjoy the course. I'm a bit hesitant to finalise my choices only because of the campus divide and I haven't been to the city centre itself.
oh no way!! For psych too?! I haven’t been to an offer holder day but I went to an open day and I rlly liked it! The campus divide there’s a free bus between each campus and if not it’s like a 10/15 mins walk which I don’t think is too bad. Tysm that’s really helpful about the psych department! The city was my hesitation too because I was worried it would be too old/ touristy and not like a uni town.
Reply 16
Original post by Autumn223
I think if you are into the clinical route York is a great idea! I study clinical psychology (not at York) and know how difficult it is to get onto the Dclin. The fact York offers a fast track is great!
Plus York is an absolutely beautiful city, has plenty to do at night! Lots of nice bars and some clubs, so you definitely wouldn’t be missing out on that side of it.
Awhh tysm for your reply! That sounds really good about the city thank you I had no clue what it was like 😭 and yes the fast track thing is really good as an incentive!
Original post by Void11
Nice, are you local? Is there a lot of diversity?
I'd be moving from 2 hrs away so not bad, I just don't know anyone else going there. Most of my friends are at/going to Lancaster which I know is York's rival lol
nope i live about 2 hours away too, but I've been to york many times because my family like going, and I've gone to see the university 2 times now :smile:
Awhh tysm for your reply! That sounds really good about the city thank you I had no clue what it was like 😭 and yes the fast track thing is really good as an incentive!
No problem!
Honestly I really love York, went last year for my 20th to do a bar crawl and had a great time! (Its a very friendly city too)
Definitely on my list of places I’d happily live in, in the future.
Reply 19
Original post by Autumn223
No problem!
Honestly I really love York, went last year for my 20th to do a bar crawl and had a great time! (Its a very friendly city too)
Definitely on my list of places I’d happily live in, in the future.
oh wow that’s so nice! You’ve filled me with lots of hope hahaha for York!! 🫶

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending