The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

Hi, I am deciding between Oxford and Cambridge to study law, however, the problem I have is that My GCSE grades were not that impressive, they were at most average and not something one could boast about. I currently take Economics Business studies, Psychology and an AS in Maths and an EPQ. However I have heard that Oxbridge does not like Business studies, I do really want to go to Oxbridge and I'm predicted all A's but because of my GCSES, I feel like I'm at a bad advantage. And even though, I'm not sure which Uni to even choose
Reply 1
i'm in Y11 but i'm pretty sure camrbidge puts less weight on gcse's than oxford, but you might still have a shot with oxford i guess if they weren't terrible, what did you get in your gcse's

(someone else could probs give lots more insight than me, i js know cambridge cares less about gcse's and they like to see progression)
Reply 2
Original post by hanstudies
i'm in Y11 but i'm pretty sure camrbidge puts less weight on gcse's than oxford, but you might still have a shot with oxford i guess if they weren't terrible, what did you get in your gcse's

(someone else could probs give lots more insight than me, i js know cambridge cares less about gcse's and they like to see progression)

Hi, I got a 4 in math's (Doing an AS to make up for the grade)
I got a 5-5 in science
6 in English language
7 In English literature
7 in Religious studies
6 In German
5 In History
and 4 in Drama..
Original post by Anonymous
I got a 5-5 in science
6 in English language
7 In English literature
7 in Religious studies
6 In German
5 In History
and 4 in Drama..

Hi, your GCSEs are lower than the average successful applicant, but you still have a chance. It's true that universities typically don't like economics and business studies studied together. To make up for this, I believe you would have to have an exceptional LNAT score to secure an interview. May I ask why you actually want to go to oxbridge?
Reply 4
Original post by Labradoodle1
Hi, your GCSEs are lower than the average successful applicant, but you still have a chance. It's true that universities typically don't like economics and business studies studied together. To make up for this, I believe you would have to have an exceptional LNAT score to secure an interview. May I ask why you actually want to go to oxbridge?

Well, last year I had the opportunity to go to a summer school in Oxford and honestly, I loved the environment, I was surrounded by people who were also very ambitious like to to study law and I just felt so welcome and at home. In addition having looked at the faculty of law for Oxford, it really interested me how they teach Law, it is really philosophical and it really makes you question some of your moralities and thought process in a way. I really like how they challenge you in a way to think outside the box. This is what really appealed to me about Oxford. As for Cambridge, I'm yet to do much Research but I have been told Law in Cambridge is really good and many say it would be good as they are more lenient with GSE grade sin comparison to Oxford.
Reply 5
I'm just asking because today I have to decide whether I want to study Law at oxford or Cambridge but I'm at a dilemma because of my GCSE grades..
Why do you have to decide today?
Yes, Oxford look at gcses more, but both care

I'm just asking because today I have to decide whether I want to study Law at oxford or Cambridge but I'm at a dilemma because of my GCSE grades..
Reply 7
I'm not really sure, I think my school would like to start the application process for all who are interested in Oxbridge
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Why do you have to decide today?
Yes, Oxford look at gcses more, but both care
Hi, I am deciding between Oxford and Cambridge to study law, however, the problem I have is that My GCSE grades were not that impressive, they were at most average and not something one could boast about. I currently take Economics Business studies, Psychology and an AS in Maths and an EPQ. However I have heard that Oxbridge does not like Business studies, I do really want to go to Oxbridge and I'm predicted all A's but because of my GCSES, I feel like I'm at a bad advantage. And even though, I'm not sure which Uni to even choose

As has been said above, Oxford place a greater emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge do. Oxford will happily deselect you pre-interview for having GCSE grades they're not happy with.

Some random quotes from both web sites:

Oxford

"Please note that evidence of substantive academic achievement to date (in addition to LNAT) must be provided by applicants. Offers cannot be made on the basis of applications which contain only predictions of future grades and achievements." (source) - the emphasis on "achievement to date" was added by me.

"If a candidate is not selected for interview, one of the following reasons must be entered on ADSS. More than one reason may be entered.
Reason 1: GCSE/equivalent score not at highest level + LNAT performance not at highest level" (source)

Cambridge

"Typical offers require A Level: A*AA" (source) - I mention this because you say, "I'm predicted all A's" meaning that your predicted grades are below the the level of their typical offer.

"...A Levels such as Business, Photography or Media Studies may not be as appropriate." (source).
Reply 9
Jhee.. So what potentially could I do.. If I were to get a really grade on my LNAT could that potentially change anything?

Original post by DataVenia
As has been said above, Oxford place a greater emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge do. Oxford will happily deselect you pre-interview for having GCSE grades they're not happy with.

Some random quotes from both web sites:

Oxford

"Please note that evidence of substantive academic achievement to date (in addition to LNAT) must be provided by applicants. Offers cannot be made on the basis of applications which contain only predictions of future grades and achievements." (source) - the emphasis on "achievement to date" was added by me.

"If a candidate is not selected for interview, one of the following reasons must be entered on ADSS. More than one reason may be entered.
Reason 1: GCSE/equivalent score not at highest level + LNAT performance not at highest level" (source)

Cambridge

"Typical offers require A Level: A*AA" (source) - I mention this because you say, "I'm predicted all A's" meaning that your predicted grades are below the the level of their typical offer.

"...A Levels such as Business, Photography or Media Studies may not be as appropriate." (source).
Jhee.. So what potentially could I do.. If I were to get a really grade on my LNAT could that potentially change anything?

It could yes, particularly at Cambridge which takes a much more "holistic" view of each candidate - i.e. you can compensate for a weakness in one area (e.g. GCSEs) via a strength in another (e.g. LNAT).
Reply 11
It could yes, particularly at Cambridge which takes a much more "holistic" view of each candidate - i.e. you can compensate for a weakness in one area (e.g. GCSEs) via a strength in another (e.g. LNAT).

But they do not like Business studies.. And I take that
But they do not like Business studies.. And I take that

Agreed. So that will make you less competitive than other candidates. There's not really a lot you can do about that though.
Reply 13
Agreed. So that will make you less competitive than other candidates. There's not really a lot you can do about that though.

Hmmm.. So if you were in my shoes, would you pick Cambridge law over Oxford Law?

Can I be honest? they do not care about GCSEs if you have high predicted grade, great personal statement and scored accordingly in the admission assessments. Focus on what you are getting now rather than what you received for your GCSEs.
Reply 15
Can I be honest? they do not care about GCSEs if you have high predicted grade, great personal statement and scored accordingly in the admission assessments. Focus on what you are getting now rather than what you received for your GCSEs.

Thank you, but for which University?
I got a 5-5 in science
6 in English language
7 In English literature
7 in Religious studies
6 In German
5 In History
and 4 in Drama..

Your GCSE grades, and only being predicted AAA at A-level is not good enough for Oxbridge in complete honesty, especially applying for an extremely competitive course such as Law. You only received two 7s and no 8s or 9s. You did combined science, a foundation grade in maths and a 5 in history? Your GCSE grades are on the lower end, especially for Oxford and Cambridge that place a fairly large emphasis on GCSEs grades. The vast majority of applicants to Oxbridge will get A*A*A or A*A*A* at A level, you won't be accepted if your predicted grades don't meet the minimum requirements. And you are doing business A level with Cambridge university on their website says isn't acceptable or academically rigorous enough? You are at a disadvantage with your poor grades and subject choices and I highly doubt you would make Oxbridge I'm afraid. I'm sure you can still study law, just at a different university.
Hmmm.. So if you were in my shoes, would you pick Cambridge law over Oxford Law?

Let's review what I've written so far on this thread:

If I were making the decision solely based on the likelihood of receiving an offer, and ignoring the difference between the courses, the universities, their locations, etc. then yes - I would apply to Cambridge.

However, I would accept that an offer from either university is extremely unlikely, given not only your GCSE profile, but also you predicted grades and you A level subjects. I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply (someone has to be accepted, right?); I'm just saying that you need to be realistic about your chances.
Well, last year I had the opportunity to go to a summer school in Oxford and honestly, I loved the environment, I was surrounded by people who were also very ambitious like to to study law and I just felt so welcome and at home. In addition having looked at the faculty of law for Oxford, it really interested me how they teach Law, it is really philosophical and it really makes you question some of your moralities and thought process in a way. I really like how they challenge you in a way to think outside the box. This is what really appealed to me about Oxford. As for Cambridge, I'm yet to do much Research but I have been told Law in Cambridge is really good and many say it would be good as they are more lenient with GSE grade sin comparison to Oxford.

It's good that you actually like the course and environment. However, there are a lot of other universities you could consider with more philosophical focused law courses and ambitious students. Ultimately you will apply to 5 so you will need to look into other universities you like, not just oxford/cambridge. If you ask me, no one should really expect to get into competitive universities like cambridge, oxford, lse or imperial, even with the very highest of grades. A lot of very capable applicants get rejected. I don't mean to discourage you or anything (by all means apply if you think you can get an extremely high LNAT!) but please keep in mind that there are so many other amazing universities out there as well so it's not just worth focusing on two :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending