The Student Room Group

Yr 12 revision

Im a yr 12 student rn and since the start of yr 12 I’ve been revising 2-3 hours a day. Rn I have mocks so I’ve been doing more ( like 7 hours a day) but I feel like nothings working. I’ve just done 2 exams (maths and business and feel in those papers I’ve probably gotten c and b. It’s mad demotivating when you’re putting in this much work but there’s no output. Could there be something wrong with it revision?
Original post by Shehshwh
Im a yr 12 student rn and since the start of yr 12 I’ve been revising 2-3 hours a day. Rn I have mocks so I’ve been doing more ( like 7 hours a day) but I feel like nothings working. I’ve just done 2 exams (maths and business and feel in those papers I’ve probably gotten c and b. It’s mad demotivating when you’re putting in this much work but there’s no output. Could there be something wrong with it revision?
Hi! I'm also a year 12 student, and though I don't take maths, I do take business (alongside biology and chemistry). To me, it doesn't sound as though the quantity of time you are putting in is the issue when it comes to effective revision, but rather potentially the methods you are using don't work for you.

For example, you might be doing a lot of passive learning e.g. highlighting notes, reading from textbooks, watching videos etc. and no active learning in a day e.g. past paper/topic specific questions/flashcards off memory/blurting etc. For subjects like business, I have found that making a definition diary has certainly helped. If you write just a few key terms from each lesson, then you are bound to learn the content just by understanding the phrases that commonly occur in questions.

However, your knowledge might not be the issue. It could be how you answer the question, in which case I would recommend looking at mark schemes or walkthroughs of answers to get a feel for chains of analysis etc. Unfortunately, when it comes to business, you could have all the knowledge in the world and still get low marks because you haven't responded to the question e.g. adding a conclusion in an evaluate question.

I think the main thing is not focusing on what you enjoy revising, but rather analysing past tests where you have gone wrong and studying that subject or understanding how your answer could have been improved. There are a lot of people on here who would be more than happy to explain topics to you.

Lastly, I would say the biggest problem you might face (from personal experience) is demotivation. Though it might feel as though you're concentrating for a long period of time, you might subconsciously be wandering off track. Try stuff like the pomodoro method, or timed methods in short bursts. Perhaps do twenty minutes of maths reading/videos, then twenty minutes of questions on that topic. Have a twenty minute snack/water break. Then do the same for business etc.

I hope none of what I have said is too obvious because I don't want to come across as condescending, but if you need any more advice then feel free to respond! I'm not active on here often so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to get back to you. Have a great day and good luck with your mocks. About to get back to my alcohols questions (sigh). 😔😔
Reply 2
Original post by K.online.
Hi! I'm also a year 12 student, and though I don't take maths, I do take business (alongside biology and chemistry). To me, it doesn't sound as though the quantity of time you are putting in is the issue when it comes to effective revision, but rather potentially the methods you are using don't work for you.
For example, you might be doing a lot of passive learning e.g. highlighting notes, reading from textbooks, watching videos etc. and no active learning in a day e.g. past paper/topic specific questions/flashcards off memory/blurting etc. For subjects like business, I have found that making a definition diary has certainly helped. If you write just a few key terms from each lesson, then you are bound to learn the content just by understanding the phrases that commonly occur in questions.
However, your knowledge might not be the issue. It could be how you answer the question, in which case I would recommend looking at mark schemes or walkthroughs of answers to get a feel for chains of analysis etc. Unfortunately, when it comes to business, you could have all the knowledge in the world and still get low marks because you haven't responded to the question e.g. adding a conclusion in an evaluate question.
I think the main thing is not focusing on what you enjoy revising, but rather analysing past tests where you have gone wrong and studying that subject or understanding how your answer could have been improved. There are a lot of people on here who would be more than happy to explain topics to you.
Lastly, I would say the biggest problem you might face (from personal experience) is demotivation. Though it might feel as though you're concentrating for a long period of time, you might subconsciously be wandering off track. Try stuff like the pomodoro method, or timed methods in short bursts. Perhaps do twenty minutes of maths reading/videos, then twenty minutes of questions on that topic. Have a twenty minute snack/water break. Then do the same for business etc.
I hope none of what I have said is too obvious because I don't want to come across as condescending, but if you need any more advice then feel free to respond! I'm not active on here often so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to get back to you. Have a great day and good luck with your mocks. About to get back to my alcohols questions (sigh). 😔😔
Yh tbf you’re probably right. I mainly just go over what I’ve written in my notebook and do Seneca repeatedly. Thinking about it I’ve hardly spent any actual time on exam technique and timing which was probably why I had 15 minutes to answer my 20 mark question today😅.

Going forward I should probably do more exam practice for the summer mocks in order to get the predicted grades for uni (hopefully good enough for uni of bath) .

Anyway thanks for the advice and gl on studying alcohols (giving me triple science flashbacks)

Quick Reply

Latest