The Student Room Group

What effect does yr 12 have on yr 13

I’m in year 11 and was wondering what effect yr 12 has on yr 13. Like what is the difference between as and a level. Kinda confusing tbh. Basically everything that has a effect on the final year. Does AS level help make a percentage on A level?
(edited 3 years ago)
Lol 😂
Reply 2
Original post by Hell0_Hell0
I’m in year 11 and was wondering what effect yr 12 has on yr 13. Like what is the difference between as and a level. Kinda confusing tbh. Basically everything that has a effect on the final year. Does AS level help make a percentage on A level?

Your year13 work will build upon what you’ve learnt in year12 (for most subjects). Both years are equally as difficult. A tip I have for you is... if you don’t understand something, make sure you understand it before moving on from it— that’s very important at A-level, especially maths and science.
Original post by TheoP31
Your year13 work will build upon what you’ve learnt in year12 (for most subjects). Both years are equally as difficult. A tip I have for you is... if you don’t understand something, make sure you understand it before moving on from it— that’s very important at A-level, especially maths and science.

Cool. I’ll try to remember that
Unless you do AS levels (not many schools do anymore) then you'll get examined in both the Y12 and Y13 content together in your A-levels (summer term of Y13) :smile:
Reply 5

AS is just the first year content (year 12 content)
A-Level is the first and second years worth of content (year 12 and 13)

They are both difficult in their own ways. I am in year 13 currently and I study Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I would say year 12 is challenging to get around new concepts and having to adapt your own learning style to fit the demands of A level and keep up to date with it. The content wasn’t too taxing for me in the first year but this may vary from student to student.

I would say year 13 is challenging more so because of the more challenging concepts in the content and having to learn the new content alongside remembering the 12 content and doing practice to ensure you keep the skills learned. I also had mocks whilst, learning new content, on year 12 work so it can be difficult!

Both have an effect on the final results in A level because the final exams include content from both years. So I guess year 12 does have an effect on year 13. Also, your predicted grades for when you apply to university at the start of year 13 may be based on grades you got throughout year 23 and a mock you may sit at the end of year 12. So, year 12 is an important part of a levels too.

Saying this, you can get through it! Make sure you have chill time to unwind and just try your best! Best wishes from me and if you need any advice, ask away and I’ll try!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by a.bho
AS is just the first year content (year 12 content)
A-Level is the first and second years worth of content (year 12 and 13)

They are both difficult in their own ways. I am in year 13 currently and I study Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I would say year 12 is challenging to get around new concepts and having to adapt your own learning style to fit the demands of A level and keep up to date with it. The content wasn’t too taxing for me in the first year but this may vary from student to student.

I would say year 13 is challenging more so because of the more challenging concepts in the content and having to learn the new content alongside remembering the 12 content and doing practice to ensure you keep the skills learned. I also had mocks whilst, learning new content, on year 12 work so it can be difficult!

Both have an effect on the final results in A level because the final exams include content from both years. So I guess year 12 does have an effect on year 13. Also, your predicted grades for when you apply to university at the start of year 13 may be based on grades you got throughout year 23 and a mock you may sit at the end of year 12. So, year 12 is an important part of a levels too.

Saying this, you can get through it! Make sure you have chill time to unwind and just try your best! Best wishes from me and if you need any advice, ask away and I’ll try!!

So if you sit the AS exam in yr 12 you won’t be tested on the content at the end of yr13?
Yr13 is probably the worst year but good thing it's the last 😂
Original post by TheoP31

Naaah yr 13 is much worse, applying to uni is like a whole extra A Level in itself - especially if you're applying for Oxbridge or med/vet/med & dentistry with the interviews you have to do, having to check emails all the time for interviews/offers...
Unlike GCSE, you don't revisit content at the next year, so treat them like they're both equally important
Original post by V℮rsions
Unlike GCSE, you don't revisit content at the next year, so treat them like they're both equally important

So once you sit the exam you don’t go over the content anymore? Is that in class or exam? Does it make a percentage of your grade?
So once you sit the exam you don’t go over the content anymore? Is that in class or exam? Does it make a percentage of your grade?

He/she is saying that once you go over a particular topic, you will not recover that topic in Year 13 as such. So it's very important to keep on top of your work and if you do not understand a topic, make sure you learn it 100%, otherwise when it comes up in the exam - you'll just be throwing away marks for something you haven't covered. All your exams are at the end of the 2 years, don't worry! (Unless you take AS-Levels)

Year 2 has it's own content, however
in your AS exam you only are examined on AS content (of course)
in your A-Level exam, you're examined by both so don't forget what you've learned you just wont revisit it in class. You're expected to keep up to date with what you did in Y12 by revision.

and no, only the A-Level exam is the one that earns you your final grade, however AS exams are usually factors of your predicted grade which help for uni applications.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by V℮rsions
Year 2 has it's own content, however
in your AS exam you only are examined on AS content (of course)
in your A-Level exam, you're examined by both so don't forget what you've learned you just wont revisit it in class. You're expected to keep up to date with what you did in Y12 by revision.

and no, only the A-Level exam is the one that earns you your final grade, however AS exams are usually factors of your predicted grade which help for uni applications.

Cool that helps a lot making a lot of sense thanks
Reply 14
Original post by username5603458
So if you sit the AS exam in yr 12 you won’t be tested on the content at the end of yr13?

No you will.
The final exam includes both years but the internal school mocks will differ between schools bc the school chooses what they wanna test most of the time, or use past papers.
What about btec courses will they also have content from year 12 and 13 in the final examinations?
Original post by JP2000!!!
Naaah yr 13 is much worse, applying to uni is like a whole extra A Level in itself - especially if you're applying for Oxbridge or med/vet/med & dentistry with the interviews you have to do, having to check emails all the time for interviews/offers...

PRSOM lol so true, the email frenzy cannot be ignored.
Reply 17
So basically when you choose to do an ASlevel option, you learn the AS content in Y12, then learn the rest of the content in Y13??

Quick Reply

Latest