The Student Room Group

I did bad on my end of years exams

I got 18/60 on my end of years exams and I'm in Year 9 I'm really scared for year ten I also got 12/60 and I don't want to end up in Set 7 or 8 because I'm scared of disappointing my family members i also got 15/47 on my previous test I feel like a failure I need tips and support or help
ty :smile:
You're definitely not a disappointment. You're only in year 9 so definitely have plenty of time to improve before GCSEs. As scary as it may seem, tell your teachers you're struggling and ask for help. I'm sure they'd be happy to put on some extra revision sessions to help and maybe ask your friends if they can help you understand the work better. Try to watch some GCSEs YouTubers on the specific subjects you struggle in such as GCSE maths tutor, cognito, Mr everything English, Mr Bruff, first rate tutors, Mr Salle's teaches English, Mrs Whelan's English, free science lessons, science shorts, Matt green, primrose kitten, the history teacher ect and try lots of past exam questions. You could hand them in to ask your teacher to mark them if you can't find a mark scheme, you could borrow revision guides from the school library and you may even be able to find content creators on tiktok that could help to. Also trying different revision methods may help if you feel like that's the main problem. You can find plenty of info about different methods on YouTube too. I hope this helps. Goodluck! I believe in you!
(edited 9 months ago)
The thing to realise is that tests don’t = intelligence, all they test is memory and recall. The later is a skill you can improve.

First find out the best way you learn. Do you need to watch something - visual learner. To hear something - an audio learner or do you need to make movements then your a kinaesthetic learner.

Then learn about the wonders of mnemonics. Such as memory palaces, acronyms, loci and Roman room methods. Also that not all subjects can be learnt the same way. Maths and cookery you need to remember the how toos but also practice them.

Check out the popular You Tubers such as Unjaded Jade, Val Katsura, Ruby Granger and find someone you understand for memory and recall advice.

Check out videos and books how to ace your exams. .

If you get yourself organised, in the zone and practice memory and recall you’ll have a good chance of doing g well.
You'll be okay
Plan your days and make sure you do some revision at home
It's not too late to redeem yourself
Reply 4
Original post by Muncher_2009
I got 18/60 on my end of years exams and I'm in Year 9 I'm really scared for year ten I also got 12/60 and I don't want to end up in Set 7 or 8 because I'm scared of disappointing my family members i also got 15/47 on my previous test I feel like a failure I need tips and support or help

its okay. your only in year 9.sets arent finalised till end yr 10/start yr 11. improve during the summer, i wasnt the best student in yr 9(in other words one of the worst),my behaviour was shxt but then it all changed in yr 10,and i wasnt in the lower sets for anything,except french. the point is, you have time, 2whole years to improve and the fact that at yr 9 you are already interested and invested in your grades is a really good thing.your not a failure, dont revise too much. if you feel really bad about your grades , like victoria_Helen15 said watch some videos/past papers and ask for help.your not going to disappoint your parents much because your going to improve your grades in the long run.good luck
Reply 5

tbh in yr 10 there may be alot of students in set 2/3 who end up getting moved to lower sets and vice versa.

You are most definitely NOT a failure! The fact that you care so much to ask for advice shows what a good student you are. It’s fine to make mistakes now, but you also need to learn from them as people in the thread have suggested. The whole point of doing mock exams/ end of years is to identify what you struggle with and make those areas stronger.

Believe me, I’ve seen people who started off in bottom sets in year 10 and made it to the top sets as well as getting A grades in their GCSE’s. Sets don’t matter, the end result (aka your GCSE grade) does. The exam board doesn’t record which set you were in, they just give you a grade based on your final papers.

My main point is please don’t stress too much. You’re still young and you’ve got more education to complete after you’re GCSE’s anyway (if that’s what you choose).
Reply 7
I think I can help. I was in the exact same position as you back in year 9, but I managed to pull through with great GCSE scores by the end. Year 9 isn't a major deal, it may seem that way now (as it did for me), but as long as you put in the work from now on, you will be absolutely fine. What really helped me was the tutoring website I found. The people on there werent that much older than me and had semi-recently finished GCSE so they heard and understood my struggle. I can PM you a link to them if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest