The Student Room Group

A LEVEL TIPS - What would you say to yourself at beginning of y12?

What would you say to your past self about starting sixth form and A levels if you could go back in time?

For context, I'Tm planning to do Biology,English lit, Chem and Psychology at A Level
Don't do it.
I'm joking, I would say to stop losing focus and keep up with organisation, remind yourself of what you learnt that day at the end of each day. Not that you have to be revising every study period you have, but it would really be useful if you took yourself away from your friends and studied for at least one study period a week. Don't compare yourself with your peers because it doesn't benefit anyone and will only make you feel worse about yourself, it's okay to be getting poor grades at the beginning of the year as you're only just starting out but do listen to your teachers when they tell you what to improve on. Don't be afraid to change your subject options, your teachers won't feel offended - trust me I've done it, better sooner than being stuck with a subject you don't enjoy. Hope this helps :smile:
Make revision resources as you go along, and if you don’t understand something then ask for help rather than leaving it
Original post by questionmark7272
Don't do it.
I'm joking, I would say to stop losing focus and keep up with organisation, remind yourself of what you learnt that day at the end of each day. Not that you have to be revising every study period you have, but it would really be useful if you took yourself away from your friends and studied for at least one study period a week. Don't compare yourself with your peers because it doesn't benefit anyone and will only make you feel worse about yourself, it's okay to be getting poor grades at the beginning of the year as you're only just starting out but do listen to your teachers when they tell you what to improve on. Don't be afraid to change your subject options, your teachers won't feel offended - trust me I've done it, better sooner than being stuck with a subject you don't enjoy. Hope this helps :smile:

When I finished Year 13, I finished strongly because I learned my mistakes from Yr 12. I would say to my Year 12 self to revise and recap (try to at least) everyday to understand the content. Some subjects in Yr 12 will be what I call a "baptism of fire" where you learn completely new content. Always do some extra-curricular/ advanced reading around the subject. This is to help you stay motivated in the subject as well. I did AS, I got ABB, wasn't to happy tbh, but I learnt my lesson. Trust the learning curve, it may start really slowly, but if you motivate yourself and learn from your mistakes and adapt your learning/ studying strategy you will improve! Hopefully, I will get the grades I want

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest