The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Postgrad accommodation Cambridge - hostel vs house

Hi I've accepted a place at Queens' College to start Oct 2021 and I'm wondering whether it's better to live in the Owlstone Croft hostel or in one of the houses. Does anyone have any experience living in postgrad halls in general? Thanks
I’m not at Queens, but I would say optimally you want to live on college grounds (of your college or any other college), if your masters is one year long. You might never get the opportunity again.

I would’ve been completely out of touch with my college life if I lived in private accommodation or college off site accom.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by luna24
Hi I've accepted a place at Queens' College to start Oct 2021 and I'm wondering whether it's better to live in the Owlstone Croft hostel or in one of the houses. Does anyone have any experience living in postgrad halls in general? Thanks

It entirely depends on your preferences. The only real differences are location, age of property and the number of other people living in the same property.
Reply 3
Original post by econ.person
I’m not at Queens, but I would say optimally you want to live on college grounds (of your college or any other college), if your masters is one year long. You might never get the opportunity again.

I would’ve been completely out of touch with my college life if I lived in private accommodation or college off site accom.

Thanks for your reply, good to know. I don't think Queens' postgrad halls are onsite anyway. I believe the houses are located a bit closer. I'm wondering what it's like living in postgrad halls, or whether masters students tend to apply for halls vs phd students in houses perhaps. I'm new to it all!
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
It entirely depends on your preferences. The only real differences are location, age of property and the number of other people living in the same property.

Thank you - so it's likely a mix of masters/phd students and ages wherever I go?
Original post by luna24
Thank you - so it's likely a mix of masters/phd students and ages wherever I go?

Yes. UG and PG are usually housed separately, though not in every single case, but other than that there's no segregation unless the College accommodates quiet houses/rooms or similar. It will be a mic of Masters, and PhDs from different countries, subjects etc.
Reply 6
Hey! I was wondering what your experience has been since I will make the same decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending