The Student Room Group

Physics a level without maths a level

Hi,

I am currently taking physics a level without doing maths. I am struggling quite a lot in lessons. I used to really enjoy physics as well as maths at GCSE and was quite good (I got A* in both) but as I got onto the A level the jump was just too big for me to keep up without good “natural” maths skills. I was only good at maths only because I worked extremely hard the last few months before my GCSE exams. I am 3 months away from my physics a level and still not fully confident with my ability. It’s almost like Im doubting myself because I dont do maths I dont feel like I can do it.

Please give me any advice on revision tips or how to improve my maths skills? I have tried everything I could, and I believe I work hard so I think it’s only a matter of how I revise, not how much.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi, I do physics and maths A-level but know some people who take physics without maths.
I think you just need to understand how your mind works and adapt your revision to suit it. Some people get stuff straight away and wouldn't need to relearn that topic again but others do. So if it takes to longer to understand things than other I would advice using some a Maths videos on youtube and search up the specific maths aspect for example trigonometry to help with vectors questions etc.
I'm someone who also needs a lot of practice too to get something (but when I understand it I do ver well in my tests), but in a few weeks I completely forget it and have to relearn it all over again so don't feel bad if the process of learning seems long. I would also advise maybe attending Maths classes (such as the mechanics chapters they're practically the same as physics just less context) in your schools when you don't have lessons or going to maths support and asking the maths teachers to help you with the mathematical aspect. A-level maths does help with a-level physics but its doable without you just have to work harder to understand the mathematical aspects of some things.
hope this helps:smile:
I take physics without maths a level. It's usually a **** it we ball attitude that gets me through. As long as you have your equation sheet you'll be chilling
Reply 3
Original post by m_user1070
Hi, I do physics and maths A-level but know some people who take physics without maths.
I think you just need to understand how your mind works and adapt your revision to suit it. Some people get stuff straight away and wouldn't need to relearn that topic again but others do. So if it takes to longer to understand things than other I would advice using some a Maths videos on youtube and search up the specific maths aspect for example trigonometry to help with vectors questions etc.
I'm someone who also needs a lot of practice too to get something (but when I understand it I do ver well in my tests), but in a few weeks I completely forget it and have to relearn it all over again so don't feel bad if the process of learning seems long. I would also advise maybe attending Maths classes (such as the mechanics chapters they're practically the same as physics just less context) in your schools when you don't have lessons or going to maths support and asking the maths teachers to help you with the mathematical aspect. A-level maths does help with a-level physics but its doable without you just have to work harder to understand the mathematical aspects of some things.
hope this helps:smile:
Wow I totally get what you mean about learning a topic and then forgetting it, i thought i was the only one. I guess i need to do more spaced repetition so that it stays in my head until a levels. Thanks so much
Reply 4
Also ofcourse ask your physics teachers! I know people who've struggled and the teachers scheduled private extra sessions with them so they can catch up.

Quick Reply

Latest