The Student Room Group

maths a level

hi, i want to do math a level, but i was wondering if it is something that comes with practice?
my main decision to do math a level, along with chemistry and biology, is so it reduces the amount of content/essay based subjects i have.
rn, math gcse isnt my favourite subject in the world but i like it so i wouldnt be miserable doing it for a level. i definitely plan on buying a whiteboard to do practice questions.
i guess i just wanted some reassurance that it is possible to get better at math.

another question is that how many application questions are there in a level maths? is it the same as gcse math, where they put the info into a scenario like animal stores, making a fence, etc ect

Original post by kshaikhl19
hi, i want to do math a level, but i was wondering if it is something that comes with practice?
my main decision to do math a level, along with chemistry and biology, is so it reduces the amount of content/essay based subjects i have.
rn, math gcse isnt my favourite subject in the world but i like it so i wouldnt be miserable doing it for a level. i definitely plan on buying a whiteboard to do practice questions.
i guess i just wanted some reassurance that it is possible to get better at math.

another question is that how many application questions are there in a level maths? is it the same as gcse math, where they put the info into a scenario like animal stores, making a fence, etc ect

It is definitely possible to get better at math. Ngl I didn't really understand GCSE maths. When I got to A levels everything just made sense. I also did bio and chem and just like you I love that I didn't have any essay based subjects (maybe bio was a lil content heavy but I'd take that any day). Maths is indeed something that comes with practice but once you understand a concept, revision for the final exam is actually quite enjoyable. And no not a lot of application questions in the pure paper itself more so in the mechanics and statistics paper.
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom
It is definitely possible to get better at math. Ngl I didn't really understand GCSE maths. When I got to A levels everything just made sense. I also did bio and chem and just like you I love that I didn't have any essay based subjects (maybe bio was a lil content heavy but I'd take that any day). Maths is indeed something that comes with practice but once you understand a concept, revision for the final exam is actually quite enjoyable. And no not a lot of application questions in the pure paper itself more so in the mechanics and statistics paper.

thank you so much thats rlly reassuring😭i emailed my head of sixth form earlier today to switch my a level from psychology to math 🙂
thank you so much thats rlly reassuring😭i emailed my head of sixth form earlier today to switch my a level from psychology to math 🙂

Nice to hear 🙂 Gl!
Yes, you can definitely get better at Maths through practice. I am currently year 13 going on to do Maths at university. In my experience, I struggled immensely in my first year of Maths at A-Level, I was getting D and E grades consistently throughout the year, this was a a mixture of lack of understanding and pure laziness because of that. I was given a predicted grade of a C by May last year. Over summer I practiced and practiced, learning revising every topic, this is where my initial love for maths reignited. By the time I came back in September I was feeling a lot more confident in my mathematical ability, averaging a grade A across assessments. I would highly recommend finding every practice paper you can and work through it to identify topics of weakness, this also gets you used to the many different ways you can be asked to show your skill. The style of questions are a lot different to GCSE maths, I would say that the questions at a level are more abstract and therefore require a more thinking and problem solving skills. But to answer your question - yes, you can totally get better at maths through lots of practice, you don’t need to naturally be a genius to get it right, you just may need to work slightly harder for it :smile:

If there’s anything else you’d like to know feel free to message me, I’ll try my best to help :smile:
Reply 5

Hey there! I'm currently in my 1st year of A Level Maths, and so far, it hasn't been toooooo difficult in my opinion. The only thing I found relatively difficult is the trigonometric identities, and some of vectors.

And to answer your question about practice, yes, practice, practice, and guess what? Practice. Maths is all about understanding the questions that are given to you, but in A Level they get more complicated so you have to practice a lot to tackle each and every question.

And to answer you second question, yes, there is a lot of modelling. In fact, they are adding more modelling because the exam boards felt it's better in order to get students more ready for the real world. Don't let that bother you however, because modelling questions are always difficult no matter what, but you have to just think of the things you think about in pure maths, and try your best to know which technique to apply. There's 3 papers in A Level Maths, like GCSE, but paper 1 is just pure maths, paper 2 is statistics, which is the graphs and diagrams and stuff like that, and paper 3 is mechanics, which is the physics aspect of the course, and is usually considered the harder part of A Level Maths because the questions can be very wordy.

Now it may sound scary, but practice makes perfect, and Maths is a great 3rd option for you with chemistry and biology, as there's quite a bit of maths in that too, and maths will help back that knowledge. I take economics and computer science alongside it, and I personally think so far it hasn't done much to help, but it will in the 2nd year and the future as well. Especially for you if you're going into biology or chemistry for University or apprenticeship. Maths is essential for those. Good luck with your options, and I hope you do pick maths, because it's actually a lot of fun, and it's interesting, and remember to practice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kieranforkan
Yes, you can definitely get better at Maths through practice. I am currently year 13 going on to do Maths at university. In my experience, I struggled immensely in my first year of Maths at A-Level, I was getting D and E grades consistently throughout the year, this was a a mixture of lack of understanding and pure laziness because of that. I was given a predicted grade of a C by May last year. Over summer I practiced and practiced, learning revising every topic, this is where my initial love for maths reignited. By the time I came back in September I was feeling a lot more confident in my mathematical ability, averaging a grade A across assessments. I would highly recommend finding every practice paper you can and work through it to identify topics of weakness, this also gets you used to the many different ways you can be asked to show your skill. The style of questions are a lot different to GCSE maths, I would say that the questions at a level are more abstract and therefore require a more thinking and problem solving skills. But to answer your question - yes, you can totally get better at maths through lots of practice, you don’t need to naturally be a genius to get it right, you just may need to work slightly harder for it :smile:

If there’s anything else you’d like to know feel free to message me, I’ll try my best to help :smile:

thanks for the insight 🫶🏽
Reply 7
Original post by muhamed2006
Hey there! I'm currently in my 1st year of A Level Maths, and so far, it hasn't been toooooo difficult in my opinion. The only thing I found relatively difficult is the trigonometric identities, and some of vectors.

And to answer your question about practice, yes, practice, practice, and guess what? Practice. Maths is all about understanding the questions that are given to you, but in A Level they get more complicated so you have to practice a lot to tackle each and every question.

And to answer you second question, yes, there is a lot of modelling. In fact, they are adding more modelling because the exam boards felt it's better in order to get students more ready for the real world. Don't let that bother you however, because modelling questions are always difficult no matter what, but you have to just think of the things you think about in pure maths, and try your best to know which technique to apply. There's 3 papers in A Level Maths, like GCSE, but paper 1 is just pure maths, paper 2 is statistics, which is the graphs and diagrams and stuff like that, and paper 3 is mechanics, which is the physics aspect of the course, and is usually considered the harder part of A Level Maths because the questions can be very wordy.

Now it may sound scary, but practice makes perfect, and Maths is a great 3rd option for you with chemistry and biology, as there's quite a bit of maths in that too, and maths will help back that knowledge. I take economics and computer science alongside it, and I personally think so far it hasn't done much to help, but it will in the 2nd year and the future as well. Especially for you if you're going into biology or chemistry for University or apprenticeship. Maths is essential for those. Good luck with your options, and I hope you do pick maths, because it's actually a lot of fun, and it's interesting, and remember to practice :smile:

thank you for the advice!!
Reply 8

I would say that A level Maths becomes a lot more theoretical and complicated. How are you doing at GCSE? Personally, from my own friends' experiences rn, I wouldn't recommend taking it unless you are getting above a 7 at GCSE Maths. Even then, I would say that you would struggle a bit unless you put in a lot more work for it in your A level years. I would say that getting a grade 8 in GCSE Maths put you at a decent chance of doing well in it and if you get a grade 9, there shouldn't be too many problems (granted there are a few tricky things but that's there in literally every A level there is). Grade 8/9 is the sort of level where you need to be if you want to consider Further Maths A level.
Reply 9
thank you for the advice!!

of course
Reply 10
Original post by vnayak
I would say that A level Maths becomes a lot more theoretical and complicated. How are you doing at GCSE? Personally, from my own friends' experiences rn, I wouldn't recommend taking it unless you are getting above a 7 at GCSE Maths. Even then, I would say that you would struggle a bit unless you put in a lot more work for it in your A level years. I would say that getting a grade 8 in GCSE Maths put you at a decent chance of doing well in it and if you get a grade 9, there shouldn't be too many problems (granted there are a few tricky things but that's there in literally every A level there is). Grade 8/9 is the sort of level where you need to be if you want to consider Further Maths A level.

i feel that i’m decent in maths - 7 is a pretty average grade for me, and in my last PPE’s i got a 9. obviously, math a level wont be easy from the start but i plan on practicing in my free periods from the beginning and my parents are on board with me having a tutor from the start so i’m definitely determined to be working towards an A in a level maths and gcse. also, i don’t plan on doing further maths cos it would be of no use to me and i don’t like maths that much to do 2 a levels for math 😭
Reply 11
Original post by muhamed2006

If you struggle with vectors and trig identities keep working on them as they come up all the time in second year.

What grade are you working at?

please show me full roadmap to get A*in maths

please show me full guidance to get A*in maths
Original post by frigid-latch
please show me full guidance to get A*in maths

uh i think youre a bit confused there lol i dont do a level maths yet? maybe post your own question...
uh i think youre a bit confused there lol i dont do a level maths yet? maybe post your own question...

They do a mixture of questions styles but it's mostly just new methods. The questions are very straightforward to grasp imo. I don't actually like A level Maths that much because it doesn't test what you know - it tests how well you are able to memorise a method, rather than knowing how to apply something, which is something which comes up a lot in Further Maths, and it's why I enjoy a lot, lot more.

As for getting better at Maths, you can become better at anything with more practice. You don't need to get a whiteboard - you can just get a few exercise books for home and do all of your work in that. It's what I've been doing and I've been consistently getting high A*s all year. If you feel a whiteboard would be beneficial for some of your other subjects (such as if you plan to take A level Chemistry), then I would say it's well worth it but if it's for one subject, probably not required but I'll leave that decision up to you. It's your money after all.

Quick Reply

Latest