The Student Room Group

please help!!!!! pure 2 sequence and series. i have tried and really stuck

A salesman is paid commission of £10 per week for each life insurance policy that he has sold. Each week he sells one new policy so that he is paid £10 commission in the first week, £20 commission in the second week, £30 commission in the third week and so on.

a) Find his total commission in the first year of 52 weeks: I got £13780 which is correct.

b) In the second year the commission increases to £11 per week on new policies sold, although it remains at £10 per week for policies sold in the first year. He continues to sell one policy per week. Show that he is paid £542 in the second week of his second year. 520 + 22 = 542

c) Find the total commission paid to him in the second year:

stuck on C. i check the solution bank for expanation and it states:
''Total commission for year 2
= Commission for year 1 policies + Commission for year 2 policies
=520 × 52 + (11 + 22+33+..52 × 11).''

I don't understand why it is 520 * 52 for the first year
Original post by Coder_newbie
A salesman is paid commission of £10 per week for each life insurance policy that he has sold. Each week he sells one new policy so that he is paid £10 commission in the first week, £20 commission in the second week, £30 commission in the third week and so on.
a) Find his total commission in the first year of 52 weeks: I got £13780 which is correct.
b) In the second year the commission increases to £11 per week on new policies sold, although it remains at £10 per week for policies sold in the first year. He continues to sell one policy per week. Show that he is paid £542 in the second week of his second year. 520 + 22 = 542
c) Find the total commission paid to him in the second year:
stuck on C. i check the solution bank for expanation and it states:
''Total commission for year 2
= Commission for year 1 policies + Commission for year 2 policies
=520 × 52 + (11 + 22+33+..52 × 11).''
I don't understand why it is 520 * 52 for the first year

Each week of the second year he gets 520 commission for the policies that he sold in the first year, so 520 *52
Original post by tiny hobbit
Each week of the second year he gets 520 commission for the policies that he sold in the first year, so 520 *52

thanks a lot. understand now. so you are not adding the total commission of the first year?
Original post by Coder_newbie
thanks a lot. understand now. so you are not adding the total commission of the first year?

It asks for the total commission paid in the second year, so we don't include what he earned in the first year.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by tiny hobbit
It asks for the total commission paid in the second year, so we don't include what he earned in the first year.

thank you so much for the help. took so long to understand

Quick Reply

Latest