The Student Room Group

Journalism Society

Hi everyone,

Journalism Society

A TSR group for all student journalists, or any wanting a future career in journalism! :smile:

I myself write for the Edinburgh student newspaper, www.journal-online.co.uk.

Please join us! :cool:

Jon

Scroll to see replies

Oh hi :wavey:. I'm seriously considering becoming a journalist. So funny how I was thinking of starting a thread on this topic, when I stumbled across this one :smile:. I will join, and watch this thread intead for now :biggrin:. Thanks for making this group :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Oh hi :wavey:. I'm seriously considering becoming a journalist. So funny how I was thinking of starting a thread on this topic, when I stumbled across this one :smile:. I will join, and watch this thread intead for now :biggrin:. Thanks for making this group :yep:

No worries :smile: What made you interested in journalism?
Original post by Don John
No worries :smile: What made you interested in journalism?

I've always been into writing, and reading, both fiction and non fiction. I also did a journalism course at sixth form last year, where I got to work in a team to make a young people's health magazine for our local borough, which I really enjoyed. I'm also really into all the women's gossip and fashion magazine, and I could imagine myself working in one. I will admit, Ugly Betty is a bit of an influence too :smile:. I haven't done much since, but currently I'm just trying to research what could be a good pathway for me into entering the magazine industry :yep:. I don't mind doing newspapers and web journalism as well though :smile:. I'm thinking of starting a blog to help display and practise my writing.

How about you? What are your reasons? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I've always been into writing, and reading, both fiction and non fiction. I also did a journalism course at sixth form last year, where I got to work in a team to make a young people's health magazine for our local borough, which I really enjoyed. I'm also really into all the women's gossip and fashion magazine, and I could imagine myself working in one. I will admit, Ugly Betty is a bit of an influence too :smile:. I haven't done much since, but currently I'm just trying to research what could be a good pathway for me into entering the magazine industry :yep:. I don't mind doing newspapers and web journalism as well though :smile:. I'm thinking of starting a blog to help display and practise my writing.

How about you? What are your reasons? :smile:

Wow, that's lovely! You should totally start a comment blog.

I got into journalism mostly by accident. I joined the student newspaper and managed to work my way up to political editor, and it's really fun work. I get to combine my love of politics with the great team we have. :smile:
Original post by Don John
Wow, that's lovely! You should totally start a comment blog.

I got into journalism mostly by accident. I joined the student newspaper and managed to work my way up to political editor, and it's really fun work. I get to combine my love of politics with the great team we have. :smile:

Ah, sounds good :smile:. So this is a newspaper for your uni that you write for? Do you get paid, or is it totally voluntary? Just out of curiosity.
I am considering becoming a journalist. I am currently undertaking a law degree.
How do I enter into broadcast journalism?
I'll join! Journalism's what I've always wanted to do. Hopefully I'll be able to fit in some work experience next summer.
Journalism's one of those things that EVERYONE seems to want to do. Still, hi.
Reply 9
Yay! Everyone please apply to join :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I am considering becoming a journalist. I am currently undertaking a law degree.
How do I enter into broadcast journalism?

At your university, do you have a student newspaper or student radio station? If so, my advice is to join them and get training. I really can't stress enough how important experience in the media at university is.
I want to be a journalist!
I did work experience at a magazine and had my article published. I also contribute to my college paper and was picked as a writer for livethescene.com. :biggrin:

I'm applying for English this year but I definitely want to gain some work experience at University. :biggrin:

Btw is starting a blog a good idea?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
I want to be a journalist!
I did work experience at a magazine and had my article published. I also contribute to my college paper and was picked as a writer for livethescene.com. :biggrin:

I'm applying for English this year but I definitely want to gain some work experience at University. :biggrin:

Btw is starting a blog a good idea?

That's so wonderful! :smile: Please join the Soc! Starting a blog is always good practise for comment writing.
Reply 13
I am so joining. Aspiring journalist since 14 years old!

Doing a few work experience stints at mags, and went to Journalism Summer School, ahahaa. And I definitely want to be a foreign correspondent/war journalist. :]
Reply 14
Original post by Yunna123
I am so joining. Aspiring journalist since 14 years old!

Doing a few work experience stints at mags, and went to Journalism Summer School, ahahaa. And I definitely want to be a foreign correspondent/war journalist. :]

Please do!
Reply 16
Anybody read The Times today? Riveting interview with G. W. Bush!
How vital is a degree for journalism? Is it possible to make it without one?
Oh dear, this thread seems to have died already :erm:
Hi, I just found this online journalism course on a Google ad. It looks interesting, but before I think about signing up, I want a few opinions. Anyone know anything about it, and if so, is it good and legit?

http://www.britishcollegeofjournalism.com/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending