The Student Room Group

Household income for mature student whilst partner on maternity leave.

My partner is due to start university in September 2024 at the age of 33. I myself work full time for the NHS as a junior doctor but will go on maternity leave at the end of May 2024 and we are unsure therefore what to put for “household income” on the student finance application, as what i earn from May 2024-April 2025 when i return to work will be far less than I typically earn/what I earnt in the last tax year.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar situation/any advice?
Hi there. If the household income has dropped more than 15% since that tax year, you can apply for a current year income assessment (CYI). This will be based on estimated income for the 24/25 tax year. You will still need to provide the 22/23 income first, in order to calculate the drop in income.

It is important to keep the estimates up to date if they are expected to change throughout the year. At the end of the 24/25 tax year, you will be asked to provide evidence of the income. If the actual figures earned are higher than what are estimated, this can result in an overpayment.

More information on CYI can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/support-child-or-partners-student-finance-application/current-year-income

Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending